CAP Performance Evaluations and AARs

Started by Eclipse, January 25, 2022, 06:48:29 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

CAP Performance evaluations? Yo mean CAPF 40? NEVER EVER saw one during my tour as Sqdn CC? Really? They exist? As far as AARs...they truly exist in CAP....better get my FEMA and NWCG AAR training and bring it to the CAP Wing I am in....see how well recieved that's going to be ...LOLOLOLOL.....but the the Dibert is on point...thanks fer the chuckle, Eclipse

Spam

Current example:

I was the IC for an AFAM training mission this past weekend (DR scenario, got a bunch of useful flights done). I started compiling an AAR "fix this in next evolution" list even before the DREX kicked off. I'm still accepting inputs post event. Last input last night was from Wing DO shop on uploaded receipts; we need fuel rcpts annotated with 4 things: mission number, sortie(s) covered by the fuel (could be more than 1), CAPID and name. One of our uploads was missing one item, and we need to fix it. 

Small items do count in an AAR (and in performance evals), because when we catch and correct emergent behavior trends - TO STANDARDS - and keep ourselves sharp, then the rolled up lists of errors/aberrant behaviors don't add up to a sloppy soup sandwich at the top level. Little things count, and process adherence to standards does count.

Dilbert is completely correct: you can't legitimately put a pilot in hack and ground him for say, following the published checklist when it doesn't meet your personal opinion (i.e. not in a signed Supplement).

So we need to be honest about that, real honest, in our AARs and write up processes.

Good cartoon, thanks Eclipse.
V/r
Spam

Larry Mangum

An AAR is written after every CTE(AKA Falcon Virgo). We do a hot-wash before the staff departs El-Paso for home, and then a formal AAR is written and sent up the chain.

It is the only way to capture the successes and failures during a mission, we then use the AAR to drive the improvements that are needed.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Brit_in_CAP

Eclipse....  thanks, my friend, I saw this when it was published and this is my day job!  Enjoyed another chuckle here!

RiverAux

In one of my past roles I did a few written AARs but no one was really all that interested from what I could tell. 

Paul Creed III

Quote from: RiverAux on January 26, 2022, 11:27:20 PMIn one of my past roles I did a few written AARs but no one was really all that interested from what I could tell. 

I've done AARs for functions at many levels in the organization. Some of them were warmly welcomed and feedback used to improve things while others weren't even acknowledged (which destroyed destroyed a great deal of morale for me as the amount of work I put in for the activity, only to be essentially ignored, was significant).

The way I try to look at it is writing the AAR is useful for me, even if others don't seem to see their value.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Jester

Quote from: heliodoc on January 25, 2022, 07:01:27 PMCAP Performance evaluations? Yo mean CAPF 40? NEVER EVER saw one during my tour as Sqdn CC? Really? They exist?

Why not institute it?  I never thought that having a policy of a CAPF 40 for each senior in the unit on an annual basis was unreasonable.  My squadron is easing into it.  If you're the unit commander, this is your job.

I have seen senior members in a class straight-up flip out when the subject of doing it comes up.  The resistance revolved around volunteers being told that they need to improve something. 

We also mandate a similar process for cadets and nobody blinks an eye.  Kind of like PT, attendance & advancement requirements, etc.

Typical CAP, feelings over function.

heliodoc

Nice idea Jester.

Maybe it's incumbent upon the Wing years before I became Sqdn CC to have started it and surely thru many of those UCC courses, I can almost bet, ,due to time constraints, that scenario based education was and still is lacking other than sitting for those numbers of hours droning through less interesting things. The same with AARs and ES....in my AOR you can see few CAP members in many ICS courses and other courses which describe AARs and how to conduct. I get it, we are all volunteers and the paperwork and AXIS requirements can surely get out of hand.

I can see folks flipping out but then the way CAPs curriculum goes about things...performance reviews are something that need to be taught well and not hodgepodge...I could see CAPF 40 taught by AXIS goin sideways rather quickly

Why not NHQ institute it down to the Region and down to the Wing. But in that same thought...not everyone is breaking down the doors to become a Sqdn CC and instituting more requirements will surely chase some away.

Typical CAP, many years late on many things relating to real world operations

Jester

Quote from: heliodoc on January 27, 2022, 03:51:40 PMNice idea Jester.

Maybe it's incumbent upon the Wing years before I became Sqdn CC to have started it and surely thru many of those UCC courses, I can almost bet, ,due to time constraints, that scenario based education was and still is lacking other than sitting for those numbers of hours droning through less interesting things. The same with AARs and ES....in my AOR you can see few CAP members in many ICS courses and other courses which describe AARs and how to conduct. I get it, we are all volunteers and the paperwork and AXIS requirements can surely get out of hand.

I can see folks flipping out but then the way CAPs curriculum goes about things...performance reviews are something that need to be taught well and not hodgepodge...I could see CAPF 40 taught by AXIS goin sideways rather quickly

Why not NHQ institute it down to the Region and down to the Wing. But in that same thought...not everyone is breaking down the doors to become a Sqdn CC and instituting more requirements will surely chase some away.

Typical CAP, many years late on many things relating to real world operations

Delegate it out.  Running this program is perfect for a deputy commander for seniors, ET officer, or squadron NCO.

Also there's no need for them to be conducting all of them. Delegate them out so the member's first-line supervisor is conducting it.  Program manager just keeps tabs.

If you have a bunch of empty shirts, mark them unsat on everything and annotate they're inactive.

This really isn't difficult.  If I were king for a day it would be an annual requirement (within 90 days of membership renewal).

People don't get better if they don't get feedback, and if people don't get better, the organization surely won't.

"Better ingredients, better pizza."  - Papa John

heliodoc

Many moons ago now, Jester

Never had a performance review from the Wing I was in the whole time I was Sqdn CC...  and because I wasn't trained the proper CAP way at the Sqdn level via training from the Wing....most of my discussions w my staff were mostly verbal...I let them know and they let me know how I was doing as Sqdn CC. Many moons ago...I highly doubt CAPF 40s were even discovered in this Wing from 1947 to present....LOLOLOLOL

SARDOC

I'm okay with commanders/supervisors using the tools at their disposal including a formalized review feedback process.  It opens a possibility for realistic conversations about their goals within the organization and where we can focus our mentorship.  Some members just want to come to meetings and help where they can without taking any real responsibility for the running of the program and that's cool.

No desire to learn or teach a new skill, You'd be very low on the priority list for opportunities that may come up.
You have a member that is eager and willing to rise to any task with professional development goals, maybe even serve as a Squadron Commander, I'd focus more mentor energy on them to become my replacement.

Having a process, allows that one on one feedback (which goes both ways) on a regular consistent basis.  As a Commander of a large squadron, it may be difficult to manage others, having a formal process where maybe your junior leaders or deputies can work with this process and do the documentation, allows them to develop those skills to, which in of itself is a form of mentoring.

That being said, on the Emergency Services Side of the house, we should be utilizing the form ICS 225 Incident Personnel Performance Rating.  Create the documentation, especially for those who will want to fill any of the advanced staff positions.  As a Skills evaluator for ICs and most staff functions, I'd do one on all trainees and those I'm evaluating.  We should be in the habit of doing this all the time and keeping a record of it.  A Savvy ES Director may use some of this information to identify training competencies and recommendations to the Wing Commander for approval of potential IC's.  Also it provides good documentation to have the file if the event a member ever gets to participate in an actual IMT where they look for these documents as evidence of experience.

UWONGO2

A fun past time is to read AARs that are done yearly for an activity and see the same items that need improvement listed yearly.