CAWG Mobile Kitchen

Started by Fubar, July 01, 2021, 12:10:52 AM

JohhnyD

Look, the money could have done many things. The Wing and the donors chose this. We will be looking for a number of very large donations over the near and mid-term, none of them for this type of foodservice vehicle. That said, if we were donated this, we would absolutely use it! A lot!

N6RVT

Quote from: JohhnyD on July 01, 2021, 05:31:10 PMPerfect. And yet CAWG wanted this, believed in it and is excited to have it. Q.E.D.

Reasonably sure this will be at Mission Aircrew school, so I'll get to see it in less than a month.  Also can a moderator move this to its own thread?  It has nothing to do with the original topic.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on July 01, 2021, 03:13:21 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 01, 2021, 03:05:41 AMThat unit is in use as we speak, providing meals for the CAWG Summer Encampment. I'm sure it will see use at various SAREXes and other activities in coming months.

I'm fine with ordering in pizza like we usually do.  This truck should be saved for disaster relief, feeding workers from many agencies, and victims of an event. Not feeding CAP members at a SAREX. JMHO

Can't eat pizza for 3 meals a day for 8 days, please try again.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2021, 11:05:38 PMCan't eat pizza for 3 meals a day for 8 days, please try again.

Are they really feeding the entire encampment out of a mobile kitchen when there's a perfectly good DFAC at the encampment location?

SarDragon

Phil knows much more about this than I, but I recall NG staffing issues with using the Camp SLO kitchen. These will not exist with the mobile kitchen.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2021, 11:05:38 PMCan't eat pizza for 3 meals a day for 8 days, please try again.

Mission Aircrew School is at the end of this month, there are hundreds of people at that event, and no kitchen.  For that, at least, this is indeed the answer.

PHall

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on July 01, 2021, 11:17:55 PM

Are they really feeding the entire encampment out of a mobile kitchen when there's a perfectly good DFAC at the encampment location?

At $17 a day for everyone there. Can't afford that. We can feed ourselves for about $9 a day.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 02, 2021, 02:35:18 AMAt $17 a day for everyone there. Can't afford that.

A CAWG encampment can't afford $17 a day for meals at $300 per student?

There's 30 legit talking points about why Optimus Lunchtime is a good idea,
not buying this one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Quote from: JohhnyD on July 01, 2021, 05:36:19 PMThat said, if we were donated this, we would absolutely use it! A lot!
Maybe, if the operating costs were within the budget, but the second the trailer becomes too expensive to maintain, it becomes a lawn ornament next to Wing HQ. Sometimes you have to look at overly generous donations and ask questions, rather than jumping on the chance to have the new toys. Is the person donating the trailer and rig because they can't afford to maintain it? Is this going to be a hole in the ground we throw money into? I'm hoping those questions were asked before accepting the donation.

Back in the 80's, our Squadron was gifted an old UPS truck, which they quickly painted black with the Squadron logo and the words "Search and Rescue" on the side and used it as a mobile command post. It was great but horrible on gas so it didn't get a lot of use, and then the old engine needed an overhaul and the Squadron only had a few hundred bucks in the bank, so it became a lawn ornament for a few years and was eventually sold for scrap.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

JohhnyD

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 02, 2021, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 01, 2021, 05:36:19 PMThat said, if we were donated this, we would absolutely use it! A lot!
Maybe, if the operating costs were within the budget, but the second the trailer becomes too expensive to maintain, it becomes a lawn ornament next to Wing HQ. Sometimes you have to look at overly generous donations and ask questions, rather than jumping on the chance to have the new toys. Is the person donating the trailer and rig because they can't afford to maintain it? Is this going to be a hole in the ground we throw money into? I'm hoping those questions were asked before accepting the donation.

Back in the 80's, our Squadron was gifted an old UPS truck, which they quickly painted black with the Squadron logo and the words "Search and Rescue" on the side and used it as a mobile command post. It was great but horrible on gas so it didn't get a lot of use, and then the old engine needed an overhaul and the Squadron only had a few hundred bucks in the bank, so it became a lawn ornament for a few years and was eventually sold for scrap.
So the donation includes the m and o and insurance. Next objection?

Spam

I will be so disappointed in my CA Wing brothers and sisters if they don't nickname this thing "Optimus Lunchbox" and paint a Transformers logo on the side. What a great name.

(refills popcorn, sits back to continue watching)
Please... play on...

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on July 02, 2021, 10:54:38 PMI will be so disappointed in my CA Wing brothers and sisters if they don't nickname this thing "Optimus Lunchbox" and paint a Transformers logo on the side. What a great name.

Optimus Lunchtime

But at least nice to see we're both "there".

"That Others May Zoom"

JohhnyD

The CAPtalk emblem really out to be the CARP.

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2021, 11:14:43 PM
Quote from: Spam on July 02, 2021, 10:54:38 PMI will be so disappointed in my CA Wing brothers and sisters if they don't nickname this thing "Optimus Lunchbox" and paint a Transformers logo on the side. What a great name.

Optimus Lunchtime

But at least nice to see we're both "there".

Lunchtime... Sounds to much like it was sponsored by Jeff Bezos (Prime/Time?). I'm not carping though!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, only in the sense that it would be following USAF/USAAF history, with nose art, is my thought. Thinking about famous nose art like the "Memphis Belle", or "2 Big and Two Heavy" (the P47N from the 318th, a favorite of mine).  I'm staying out of the O&M budgets debate and the OT safety and suitability debates, I've no dog in that fight.

(Popcorn needs more butter...)

Cheers!
Spam ("Levi-OH-sah, not leviosa")

fyrfitrmedic

From pre-1979 (when I joined) until the early 90s or so my original squadron, 1001 in PAWG, had mass feeding capability. Field stoves, tables and chairs, a GP medium, and everything else needed was packed in a trailer and the vintage deuce-and-a-half that pulled it. When the surplus vehicles went away, so did the capability. I don't remember ever seeing this set up on anything but group-level SAR and DR exercises.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

N6RVT

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on July 03, 2021, 09:29:31 PMFrom pre-1979 (when I joined) until the early 90s or so my original squadron, 1001 in PAWG, had mass feeding capability. Field stoves, tables and chairs, a GP medium, and everything else needed was packed in a trailer and the vintage deuce-and-a-half that pulled it. When the surplus vehicles went away, so did the capability. I don't remember ever seeing this set up on anything but group-level SAR and DR exercises.

Squadron 51 here in California, where I was about the same time, had the same capacity the same way.  In fact it was the incentive for cadets to get an ES card (which is GES now) because without it, they were on KP.

AdAstra

Squadron 51? I recall that it was Squadron 3.
Charles Wiest

N6RVT

Quote from: AdAstra on July 04, 2021, 06:47:39 PMSquadron 51? I recall that it was Squadron 3.

I never had anything to do with Squadron 3.  It was Rick Decastro of squadron 51, later the wing ES officer, who set that up.  Same guy who used a .45 to shoot a lock off a gate to get to an ELT.