Attending a different wing's conference

Started by Walkman, September 04, 2014, 02:06:56 AM

Walkman

(I did try searching but this was a hard one to figure out what to search for)

I have a cadet that would like to attend another Wing's wing conference. This cadet is my former c/CC and very high speed. I've been asked to check on what the requirements are for permissions, etc. I'm not even sure which reg to look in.

Any help?

Eclipse

Depends on your wing and the conference rules.

Many wings have agreements, either spoken or unspoken, that allow for members from wings that touch to
go back and forth without needing Wing CC approval, others require Wing CC approval for anything
where the member leaves the wing.

Same on the conference - some won't care where you come from, others will have specific requirements,
especially for a (presumably) unaccompanied cadet.

At a minimum the requisite permission slips would need to be signed, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

BFreemanMA

As Eclipse said, I can't think of any regulation forbidding it, but I believe there's a form that the wing king needs to sign before anyone can attend out-of-wing activities. For SM, I know its an F17, but I'm not sure about cadets...maybe the F32? I know you're a commander yourself, so you might just want to touch base with the Wing Commander for his/her policy.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2014, 02:17:30 AM
Same on the conference - some won't care where you come from, others will have specific requirements,
especially for a (presumably) unaccompanied cadet.

CAPR 52-10 doesn't allow unaccompanied cadets to hotel-based events such as wing conferences. If the cadet is attending unaccompanied, then the project officer must assign him/her to an adult leader. Cadets leaving the property must be accompanied by two adult leaders. Many wings don't allowed unaccompanied cadets for this very reason.

Slim

Quote from: Walkman on September 04, 2014, 02:06:56 AM
(I did try searching but this was a hard one to figure out what to search for)

I have a cadet that would like to attend another Wing's wing conference. This cadet is my former c/CC and very high speed. I've been asked to check on what the requirements are for permissions, etc. I'm not even sure which reg to look in.

Any help?

I can tell you that the last wing commander had a policy that required his approval for attending any activity outside of the wing, but I don't know if the new one has carried that policy over or not.

Cadet?  Unaccompanied?  Yeaaahh.....getting wing commander approval is the easiest of issues with that one.

Slim

Walkman

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 04, 2014, 03:29:25 AM
CAPR 52-10 doesn't allow unaccompanied cadets to hotel-based events such as wing conferences. If the cadet is attending unaccompanied, then the project officer must assign him/her to an adult leader. Cadets leaving the property must be accompanied by two adult leaders. Many wings don't allowed unaccompanied cadets for this very reason.

Just to make sure, does this include cadets older than 18? This cadet is 20.

jeders

Quote from: Walkman on September 04, 2014, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 04, 2014, 03:29:25 AM

Just to make sure, does this include cadets older than 18? This cadet is 20.

Yes. A cadet's a cadet's a cadet, regardless of age.

More to the original question, from what I've witnessed, typically most conferences will require a squadron sending a cadet to also send adult supervision, as they don't necessarily have extra chaperones on hand. Also, as mentioned, some wing require wing commander approval before going to another wing's conference, and some don't. As a TXWG SM I went to the OKWG conference without anyone's extra permission, just fill out the conference registration. Of course at that time the TXWG CC was previously the OKWG CC, and so no one really batted an eye when people crossed that border to participate. Of course as we all know, Oklahoma is just North Texas  >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse