Foreign Exchange Students

Started by alfrank.1, May 15, 2014, 05:11:37 AM

alfrank.1

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about foreign exchange students joining CAP. 

Our squadron currently has a cadet whose family will be hosting a German exchange student during the next school year, he is 15 and wants to participate with his host "brother".  I know this is probably a difficult thing to accomplish being that the said student does not have a SS#, and wearing of the uniforms.  If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate the help.

Майор Хаткевич

Probably an email to nhq cp team...don't think this comes up much.

lordmonar

If they are here legally.....all you got to do is send copies of their immigration paperwork in with the application.

We go a CAP member on a student visa in our squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panzerbjorn

It definitely can be done.  We had one in our squadron from Spain.  I know there were a lot of hoops that needed to be jumped through in order for him to join and participate, but I wasn't involved we the actually process.

So, the only helpful thing I can contribute to this is by confirming that it can indeed be done, and I'd be happy to ask those who were involved in the process about how it was actually done.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

JeffDG

They will need a waiver of citizenship/lpr requirements from NHQ, but such a waiver should be granted routinely provided you have the right paperwork.  My initial membership required such a waiver (not a student, but was in the US in a non-immigrant status when I first got here for a few years), and upon providing the requested documentation, it was routine.

Basically, you're looking for their F1 Student Visa.  Not 100% sure about the paperwork for exchange students, I know college students get an I-20 for their status (most temporary statuses use I-94s), along with their passport should take care of you.

MSG Mac

Submit the F12/15 with a scan of the applicable INS student Visa, and a letter asking for approval of the membership. Route through Wing and Region for their endorsements.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 20, 2014, 02:28:36 PM
Submit the F12/15 with a scan of the applicable INS student Visa, and a letter asking for approval of the membership. Route through Wing and Region for their endorsements.
Wing and region do not have a say.   Everything directly to NHQ.

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on May 20, 2014, 03:43:15 PM
Not according to the CAPR 39-2, 2-2e(2):

Quote(2) Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in
the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and
region commander
along with a copy of the membership application to Membership Services
(NHQ/PMM). The online application may not be used by those requesting a citizenship waiver. The
waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.

spaatzmom

Just thinking here, but if this young man is near either of the I believe 2 squadrons established in Germany; it might be possible for him to join in Germany first, and either transfer to a squadron here or have some arrangement between the 2 squadrons so that he can promote.  It is one avenue to explore.

THRAWN

Quote from: spaatzmom on May 20, 2014, 05:45:29 PM
Just thinking here, but if this young man is near either of the I believe 2 squadrons established in Germany; it might be possible for him to join in Germany first, and either transfer to a squadron here or have some arrangement between the 2 squadrons so that he can promote.  It is one avenue to explore.

It's a good thought, but I'm pretty sure he would have to be a dependent. There was an AFI about it, but don't recall all of the specifics. He can join in the US, but not in an overseas unit.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on May 20, 2014, 03:52:48 PM

Quote(2) Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in
the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and
region commander
(NHQ/PMM). The online application may not be used by those requesting a citizenship waiver. The
waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.
You are right....I was thinking for green card holders.   I really wonder way though?  What would Wing or region have to say about it?  Just asking.

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on May 20, 2014, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 20, 2014, 03:52:48 PM

region commander
You are right....I was thinking for green card holders.   I really wonder way though?  What would Wing or region have to say about it?  Just asking.
Ours is not to wonder why...

I just know it because I needed a waiver, although it was a different (but identically worded) requirement for senior membership.

lordmonar

Quote from: spaatzmom on May 20, 2014, 05:45:29 PM
Nope.....you have to have SOFA status to be a member of an overseas squadron.   So EX-PATS with no SOFA status can't join. 

ironputts

Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: ironputts on May 20, 2014, 05:58:23 PM
chain of command......
What about it?

Basic membership requirements are be a U.S citizen or legal permanent resident alien. 

So Mr.  Exchange Student with a student visa wants to join....I (the Squadron CC) want him to join.......so why would wing object?   Why would Region object?  NHQ could object....because they may have a list of what sort of exceptions they are willing to make....i.e. student visas okay....but someone awaiting an asylum ruling is not.  There are just too many different issues to put down in the reg.....I can see NHQ doing it on a case by case basis......but WING?   Or Region?   These guys often can't get their heads out of their FPOC to make yes/no decision on promotions or 2b's.