double to the rear...

Started by aceofspades, May 22, 2013, 04:18:20 PM

aceofspades

What is 'double to the rear with a slight hesitation, parade rest, halt?  Ive heard about it but never seen it.

Disclaimer- This may or may not be the full command.

A.O.S.
A.O.S.

FLY, FIGHT, FOXTROT!

Never call a Chief sir. Ever!

lordmonar

It is a fake drill command often used for drill teams.

So unless you are on a competition drill team.....for CAP it is nothing to worry about.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BillB

If you want to have fun, try this one
double to the rear, by the right flank, left flank, double to the rear.
  Sounds simple, but each movement ends on the wrong foot for the next movement and you'll have cadets heading in four different directions
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

WIWAC, we used "Doubles, March!"

Double right flank, double left flank, double to the rear.

bflynn

We used to call it "trick stuff".  It's a complicated sequence of pre-arranged commands.  They're actually good for building teamwork.

Double to the rear is basically two "to the rear march" orders.  You do a "to the rear", take a step and do another "to the rear" and wind up marching in the same direction you originally were.  I think you can figure out the rest.  It takes some time to get everyone together on it, you'd do best working in small groups until everyone understands the candence of it.

We did one called mass confusion.  Marching in columns of 3, the left flank would go out at a 45 oblique, the center column would march to the rear and the right flank would do a reverse 45 oblique.  That would go for 2-3 paces, we got a "to the rear" command, then the formation commander gives a forward march at exactly the right time to bring everyone back together marching in the forward direction again.  We had another version of this for columns of 6 with the same idea.

Double by the left flank, double by the right flank, mass confusion march...looks awesome when you pull it off and completely foolish when you don't.

All of these take a lot of practice.

PHall

Quote from: aceofspades on May 22, 2013, 04:18:20 PM
What is 'double to the rear with a slight hesitation, parade rest, halt?  Ive heard about it but never seen it.

A.O.S.

The full command, as I've heard it out here in CAWG was, "Double to the left flank, double to the right flank, double to the rear with a slight hesitation, MARCH".

Not that hard to do actually...

stillamarine

A.O.S.

Cant be done. How can you go to parade rest while marching, then halt while at parade rest?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Garibaldi

Quote from: stillamarine on May 23, 2013, 04:00:08 AM

A.O.S.

Cant be done. How can you go to parade rest while marching, then halt while at parade rest?

The only time I ever saw "double to the rear, hesitate" was in the movie "Renaissance Man" with Danny DeVito. I'm not sure if they Hollywood-ed it up or what, but it was interesting to watch. They also added change step.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Back in my cadet days.....we did "Double to the Left Flank, double to the right Flank, Double to the real, Fade Away, March"

Two lefts, two rights, two to the rears...then half steps.

Like I said before....these are made up commands...and you can make them do or mean anything.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

aceofspades

What's the deal with the 'slight hesitation'
A.O.S.

FLY, FIGHT, FOXTROT!

Never call a Chief sir. Ever!

PHall

Quote from: aceofspades on May 25, 2013, 11:09:20 PM
What's the deal with the 'slight hesitation'

Visually interesting.