Color Guard Manual(s)/Guide(s)

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 26, 2013, 10:04:27 PM

Airman De Ruiter

My squadron is currently setting up a color guard detail and I've volunteered to advise it. I'm currently "writing" a manual/guide/watchamacallit for the detail to quickly and quietly squash the age-old "I was taught like this so I will teach you all like this."-problem; I want to ensure that I/we are doing everything by the book and absolutely correctly and I want to be able to cite it so that if someone of power says "I was taught like this.", I can just show them the by-the-book way. I am wondering what all the publications out there that I should use for building this guide are.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

SarDragon

Indexes 0-2 and 0-9 are your friends. Look through them to see what the various governing publications are.

One that's not listed there is the Drill and Ceremonies Manual. Everything you need is in here. You shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel.

Also, if you haven't already done so, go here, and surf around for a bit. There is a wealth of material available that will help you out in general as you progress through CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

All right, thanks. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just abridging it. Anyway, in CAP, do we do Drill the EXACT same way as AD USAF and USAFR?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

Just making sure. I've had JROTC instructors always make their own way of doing things which has always irked me.

lordmonar

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 27, 2013, 12:35:17 AM
Just making sure. I've had JROTC instructors always make their own way of doing things which has always irked me.

Again Cadet De Ruiter.....your arrogance is showing through.

If you would like a local resource I would suggest that you contact Capt Jen Setera at Nellis Composite or Lt Col Deb Prossor at the 801st Cadet (IIRC) or check with Las Vegas Composite.......they all have stong color/drill/honor guard programs and should have all the information you need.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

As for CAP Color Guard, CAPR 52-4 is an excellent reference, because if you're going to bother doing it, you might as well do it the "right" way so that a team can also compete. It's a pain to un-learn wrong stuff. :)

There's nothing to reinvent, or abridge. It's all been done. Just crack open the right publications.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on January 27, 2013, 02:02:05 AM
As for CAP Color Guard, CAPM 52-4 is an excellent reference, because if you're going to bother doing it, you might as well do it the "right" way so that a team can also compete. It's a pain to un-learn wrong stuff. :)

There's nothing to reinvent, or abridge. It's all been done. Just crack open the right publications.

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Darn fingers. ;-) .. and I just spent a weekend looking at that thing too. I'm quite familiar with the manual, otherwise :)

Shawn W.

CAPR 900-2 as well..  this one deals in proper flag etiquette.

Capt. $

they should read & study all the manuals and follow the that and they should be alright ??? ::)