CAC?

Started by 800bestofcap, October 10, 2012, 03:58:31 AM

800bestofcap

I am a cadet from NCWG and my squadron needs CAC reps and I want to apply but I'm not exactly sure what CAC does. Can anyone explain?
C/MSgt

Extremepredjudice

Search function and read regs

They advise commanders of that echelon
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

800bestofcap

I'll reword my first question. I know that CAC write reports to wing/group but what do those reports contain, what do they help with?
C/MSgt

arajca

Your best source would be to contact the members of YOUR CAC. For the most part, anything we put up here will be generalized and may not be applicable to your CAC.

MSG Mac

There is a Learn to Lead volume titled Leadership in Committee that can be downloaded from the National Cadet Programs page. It might help you in your question. Also as suggested by Arajca check with your CAC rep or the CAC SM Advisor to find out how your particular CAC functions.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on October 10, 2012, 01:18:49 PM
Your best source would be to contact the members of YOUR CAC. For the most part, anything we put up here will be generalized and may not be applicable to your CAC.

+1 The CAC has a stated mission and purpose in the regs, but you should ask about the activities and expectations locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ned

Even better:  The Cadet Advisory Council Guide, CAPP 52-19.

It's well written and has everything you ever wanted to know about CAC.

Ned Lee
Chair, California Wing CAC (ret)

a2capt

..and CAC does not mean "Cadet Activity Council".

Think Student Government. A vehicle of voice, both to the top and from the top.

Arkbird

If you want some information about the NCWG CAC specifically, PM me.  I've been involved with it for the last few years and can tell you a great deal about it.  Or if you rather, I can give you some contact info for the current Chair.
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on October 10, 2012, 04:54:51 PM
..and CAC does not mean "Cadet Activity Council".

Think Student Government. A vehicle of voice, both to the top and from the top.
Not how FL SGA functions. Source: SGA conferences.

We have money supplied via activity fees, and we spend it accordingly. It is tens of thousands of dollars. Source: I read the treasurer's report, and went to the annual budget neeting.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

CAC is >>NOT<< intended to be the wing's adhoc workforce.  It has a specific reason for existing and that is not it.

If the reps work on committees, etc., as separate bodies, that's a different conversation, but the CAC, as a body, should not
do anything but what it is charged with.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 10, 2012, 10:56:43 PMWe have money supplied via activity fees, and we spend it accordingly. It is tens of thousands of dollars. Source: I read the treasurer's report, and went to the annual budget meeting.

Activity fees = "Cadets and seniors paying for someone else's CAP experience." Not cricket.

An encampment or bivouac should not be $5-10 more per person just so the wing can have a slush fund to make other activities seem
less expensive.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 12:26:03 AM
CAC is >>NOT<< intended to be the wing's adhoc workforce.  It has a specific reason for existing and that is not it.

If the reps work on committees, etc., as separate bodies, that's a different conversation, but the CAC, as a body, should not
do anything but what it is charged with.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 10, 2012, 10:56:43 PMWe have money supplied via activity fees, and we spend it accordingly. It is tens of thousands of dollars. Source: I read the treasurer's report, and went to the annual budget meeting.

Activity fees = "Cadets and seniors paying for someone else's CAP experience." Not cricket.

An encampment or bivouac should not be $5-10 more per person just so the wing can have a slush fund to make other activities seem
less expensive.
Was talking about Student Government, SGA = Student Government Association

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 11, 2012, 12:47:02 AM

Why?  The example is salient and no one cares how some other unrelated organization does things.

"That Others May Zoom"

800bestofcap

arajca can you please generalize because I need to write an essay on why I should be the rep.
C/MSgt

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 12:55:13 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 11, 2012, 12:47:02 AM

Why?  The example is salient and no one cares how some other unrelated organization does things.
A2capt made a false statement, and I corrected him.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 11, 2012, 02:35:03 AM
A2capt made a false statement, and I corrected him.

No, he didn't - CAC is very much like they way Student Government should be run, just because yours isn't dont' by the
model doesn't mean the example is incorrect.

Sounds like your SGA is making the same mistakes a lot of wings do.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: 800bestofcap on October 11, 2012, 02:16:24 AM
arajca can you please generalize because I need to write an essay on why I should be the rep.
I have no idea of how YOUR CAC works and what it actually does. That's why I suggested contacting cadets currently involved with your CAC. As for generalizing, the pamphlet noted earlier covers it, but not all CACs follow it.

800bestofcap

Quote from: arajca on October 11, 2012, 02:51:38 AM
Quote from: 800bestofcap on October 11, 2012, 02:16:24 AM
I have no idea of how YOUR CAC works and what it actually does. That's why I suggested contacting cadets currently involved with your CAC. As for generalizing, the pamphlet noted earlier covers it, but not all CACs follow it.
Thank you
C/MSgt

a2capt

A2capt made a false statement, and I corrected him.Pot. Kettle. Black.
I, on the other hand, did no such thing.