PT Test

Started by abdsp51, September 02, 2012, 10:02:31 PM

abdsp51

Can someone tell me whether or not a cadet is allowed to remove their hands from the ground while doing the pushup phase of the CPPFT?  I am pretty sure of the answer however I am looking for a consensus on it.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

coudano

Eh, I assume you mean during the up or rest phase of the exercise?
The pamphlet doesn't explicitly allow it nor forbid it.

If your hand has slipped, can you pick it up and move it?  Why not?

If your hand is on something sharp or uncomfortable, can you move it somewhere else?  Why not?

If your wrists are at an uncomfortable angle and you wish to adjust, or rotate the wrists between reps...   why not?

...as long as the cadet procedes to do the next repetition in-cadence (and does no more than 3 out of cadence)

If you think you are getting any positive benefit in terms of "rest" from lifting the hand off the ground, you are (probably) mistaken.

If you have a cadet doing 'clap' push ups or pushing up so fast that they are leaving the ground, then i would tell them to relax a little (and quit showing off).

Garibaldi

Used to be that as long as you maintained 3 points of contact you could move whichever appendage.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

They are taking a hand off and rotating the arm while doing them especially the ones that are out lasting their peers. All the pamphlet says is they may rest up or down. 

afagirl

You can pick your hand up off of the ground to shake it out or whatever you like. The P.T manual does not say that is not allowed.

abdsp51

Quote from: afagirl on September 06, 2012, 12:53:17 AM
You can pick your hand up off of the ground to shake it out or whatever you like. The P.T manual does not say that is not allowed.

There is shaking it off and then a complete rotation of the arm huge difference.

jeders

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 06, 2012, 12:27:05 PM

There is shaking it off and then a complete rotation of the arm huge difference.

However, neither are forbidden. As long as they are able to complete the next push up within the specified time, they're good as far as I can tell. This might be a good question to send up the chain to your wing CP folks to see what they say.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

Quote from: jeders on September 06, 2012, 01:10:25 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on September 06, 2012, 12:27:05 PM

However, neither are forbidden. As long as they are able to complete the next push up within the specified time, they're good as far as I can tell. This might be a good question to send up the chain to your wing CP folks to see what they say.

Incorrect, neither are permitted by regulation.

6. Resting. The cadet is free to take as long as they wish to reach the up position, and as long as they
wish to reach the down position, provided they begin a new push-up every 3 seconds. The cadet
may rest in the up or down position, but the President's Challenge recommends cadets remain in
motion throughout the entire 3-second interval to achieve the best results.

If it is note permitted, then it is forbidden.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Does it affect the PT test that much? I'll be the one to say it makes not a real difference.

Eclipse

Quote from: AngelWings on September 06, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Does it affect the PT test that much? I'll be the one to say it makes not a real difference.

That's not the point - the standard is the standard, applied to all.  A nudge here and a nudge there and before you
know it, it does make a difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2012, 08:55:39 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on September 06, 2012, 08:46:47 PM

That's not the point - the standard is the standard, applied to all.  A nudge here and a nudge there and before you
know it, it does make a difference.
The standard is the standard, yes. But the standard goes home and says to itself "Well, I am the standard, not the law. Unless people are going to try to cheat on me or find a way around me and my spirit, I'll let it slide. I want to kick my feet up on my table and watch some TV."

Simply stated without any attempts at humor, common sense really needs to come into play. If the person is clearly trying to find a way to enhance his/her push up count and rest in a way unbecoming of the regulations, stop him/her. If his/her wrist hurts and all the person is trying to do is adjust it, than let them adjust.

Last thing any one here wants to do is file a mishap report when some cadet sprained their wrist trying to continue with pushups because someone thought "OH, OH, IT'S AGAINST REGULATIONS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SAY YOU SPECIFICALLY CAN! STOP THAT CHEATING CADET!"

coudano

seems like we've had this discussion before.
can a cadet wear an ipod during the run?

it's not explicitly allowed.
it's not explicitly forbidden.

can a cadet talk during the exercises?

can a cadet wear five fingers?

standards aren't always black and white,
and unless they explicitly say that "if it isn't allowed it's forbidden" (like the 39-1 does)
or "if it isn't forbidden, then it's allowed"
then the grey area is...   grey area.

Use common sense.