Online Testing Error Reporting POC?

Started by a2capt, March 01, 2012, 08:34:56 PM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 02, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
Quote from: phirons on March 02, 2012, 06:53:18 PM
Agreed.
Well this is a scheduled update.

Assuming the NHQ IT team is smart enough not to work on an update on the live source code, the problem is a bug. Not because of the update.

You know, you should cut them some slack cadet. The last 6 months of my day job have been a vivid example of things working perfectly fine in testing and going to hell in production (by the way, I make my living in IT). Maybe, just maybe, someone made an honest mistake or Mr. Murphy came out to play.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 02, 2012, 08:50:52 PM
Agreed.

Assuming the NHQ IT team is smart enough not to work on an update on the live source code, the problem is a bug. Not because of the update.

You know, you should cut them some slack cadet. The last 6 months of my day job have been a vivid example of things working perfectly fine in testing and going to hell in production (by the way, I make my living in IT). Maybe, just maybe, someone made an honest mistake or Mr. Murphy came out to play.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Murphy has an employee id in my it shop.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: phirons on March 02, 2012, 09:40:36 PM
Agreed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Murphy has an employee id in my it shop.

Where I work he holds a director slot >:D (not kidding either, there's a guy named Mr. Murphy who is a director).

EDIT: Just checked my inbox, testing emails were working correctly as of Feb 27. Something between now and then got fubar'ed.

AngelWings

One small mess up and some people want to crucify them! They do a great job. Every website is bound to have one or two minor problems here or there.

coudano

Agreed.

You know, that's nice and everything, but blown up production has consequences.
Even in the "real world".

In CAP cadets and their parents start getting frustrated with the system and stop trying.
Already seen a little bit of that.

If I blew up a production run at my job (and didn't fix it post haste, or roll back to the prior stable in a jiffy), i'd probably get fired.  I work in IT too.

In my other job, if I blow up a production run somebody might die.  Kind of hard to roll that back.

MSG Mac

Quote from: coudano on March 02, 2012, 11:30:54 PM
Agreed.

You know, that's nice and everything, but blown up production has consequences.
Even in the "real world".

In CAP cadets and their parents start getting frustrated with the system and stop trying.
Already seen a little bit of that.

If I blew up a production run at my job (and didn't fix it post haste, or roll back to the prior stable in a jiffy), i'd probably get fired.  I work in IT too.

In my other job, if I blow up a production run somebody might die.  Kind of hard to roll that back.

The reality is that there are several options available to those who are inconvenienced by the temporary outage.
1,. They can take the hard copy tests which are available at their units.
2. They can ask the Testing Officer to download the test for them.
3. They can take a chill pill, until the site is back in operation.

By the way the IT crew at National consists of about 5 people, who have over the last five years completely renovated the way we do business. Milestones are posted immediately, rather than waiting several weeks for the recorder to check every line of the applicable certifications.
Cadet advanceements can be tracked online
SM promotions can be done online
Most reports can be filed on line. 
ad infinitum.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Extremepredjudice

Agreed.

You may think of me as some script kiddie, but I'm not.

I've worked in the industry. I've held jobs at large corporations doing web design and programming. If you want I could give you my pertanent job history, but I'd doubt  it would matter.

Sorry for your product not working properly. Maybe reevaluating testing procedures? Adding beta testers? I don't know.

But to redress you: Sir, I said "assuming they are smart enough not to."

I don't know what this means in you personal lexicon, but to me it means, I think they wouldn't really do X.

In example: Assuming the astronauts are smart enough not to jump out an airlock, they will probably not die of exposure. (That is an example. Let's not argue about it) I personally have more faith in them to think they jumped out an airlock. I think we will all find common ground that hard vacuum isn't good for you in the long-term.

IF (AND I MEAN IF) they are working on the source code in use, than I would have to lower my opinion of their skill. That is my personal opinion.

P.S. I knew this'd happen. 
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

jimmydeanno

Programmers are limited by the systems that they're given to work on.

If you could see the logic diagram for e-services you'd probably barf.  There is also the possibility that they don't have space on their current systems to have a "test" version of e-services, or haven't had the opportunity to create one yet.

My last job was at an enterprise networking research and development company.  They did awesome creating test environments for our router/switch source codes, etc, but it took a while to get a test environment for our logistics software and order management systems. 

NHQ has limited resources, both in system capability and in manpower.  The folks are probably squeezing in the updates between having to do all the other IT related stuff (my computer won't turn on...).

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Extremepredjudice

Uh-huh.

Go to some free hosting website. Ias3.com is as good as any.
Password protect site root
Profit.

Yeah, ok maybe it isn't backed up, but use skydrive for a backup.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"