CAP Member in Photo on CNN Gallery

Started by a2capt, September 09, 2012, 09:10:30 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2012, 07:41:33 AM
You are essentially correct.

I am discussing one specific issue - when or when not to salute, and anyone's specific authority, by regulation, to forbid me from doing so whenever I feel it's appropriate.

I'll give you an example of where I was probably wrong. This past Saturday, we were working the airshow at Little Rock AFB. We were off duty, sitting around, when they asked us to stand for the Nationa Anthem. We did, and I called present arms. Another senior told me we just needed to stand, as this was a flight line. I said it didn't matter, as it was not an active flight line and we were wearing covers. I probably was wrong, but I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances.

There is no specific regulation that I know of giving the authority to forbid or permit saluting whenever you feel it's appropriate. "When in doubt, whip it out" is what I was always taught.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 11, 2012, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2012, 07:41:33 AM
You are essentially correct.

I am discussing one specific issue - when or when not to salute, and anyone's specific authority, by regulation, to forbid me from doing so whenever I feel it's appropriate.

I'll give you an example of where I was probably wrong. This past Saturday, we were working the airshow at Little Rock AFB. We were off duty, sitting around, when they asked us to stand for the Nationa Anthem. We did, and I called present arms. Another senior told me we just needed to stand, as this was a flight line. I said it didn't matter, as it was not an active flight line and we were wearing covers. I probably was wrong, but I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances.

There is no specific regulation that I know of giving the authority to forbid or permit saluting whenever you feel it's appropriate. "When in doubt, whip it out" is what I was always taught.
Nope you were not wrong!  A salute is always appropriate unless safety is an issue. 
No active flight line for an air show....may or may not be a no hats no salute area by CAP or USAF regs.....but you can't get into trouble for rendering a salute.  Sure you can remind people that it is not required but you should never.....never chew someone out for rendering honors......it is counter productive.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Garibaldi and lordmonar, thank you.

I rest my case.

We now return you to your normally scheduled kvetching about uniforms.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret