Contract Maintenance

Started by lead63, August 01, 2009, 10:55:26 PM

lead63

I'm seeking some advice regarding a consolidated maintenance issue.  The contractor for our wing has lost trust with our pilots.  There have been several problems with different aircraft, some that were quite serious.  A flight control rigging issue was discovered following a hard landing with cadets on board (elevator).  Debris was found in one of the cylinders.  Timing problems contributed to very high EGT temps on an engine.  The list goes on, and it has been surfaced thru Wing to Region and on to National.  So two questions:

How can corporate withstand the liability exposure by continuing to use this contractor - if something were to happen??

It has been reported that individuals at corporate received healthy bonuses for the consolidated maintenance program.  Is there a way to rule out this rumor or verify it??

The service from corporate in addressing this has been very frustrating.  Their approach is to just keep using the contractor because they were awarded the contract and their costs are low.  The contract could easily be terminated for convenience and re-solicited.  Contractor performance does not appear to be of concern, especially with the costs associated with some of the damage that's occurred.

I'd like some advice on how to resolve this and move forward.

heliodoc

THAT approach should be dealt with.  If the idea is "keeping costs low"

Being an A&P myself, this should ring all sorts of alarms.  Various Wings and NHQ are complicit if they allow this mentality to prevail. I would use your chain of command to the best of ones ability and keep running documentation of the issues.  CAP seems to intent on busting member pilots chops various "issues" and maybe rightly so.  Now it is time to bust some contract MX chops for equal value..............

But if there are problems in the Contract Aircraft arena, then it is type for all top sit this one down and get it straightened out pronto!!

If any of the Wing and NHQ types are reading this.....1) Has info been received on this issue? 2) Anything being done about it by the Wing or NHQ "leadership"

Because if not, all that Shiny Jet Syndrome that CAP suffers about its fleet may not hold water if this type of maintenance is allowed to happen.   If this is the case, then it is high time CAP lays off the pilots for awhile and start doing compliance checks on all Contract Maintenance facilities or does one suppose a well placed call to an FAA FSDO GA Aviation Inspector is in order?

Think about that!  Again, if this is true, CAP legal and Stan Eval leadership need reevaluation themselves

Work the chain of command lead63, because you will be right if you do,  Make sure it is written down on who you talk to.  This day of CAP preaching "SAFETY" on everything....well its time for this one (Contract MX) to pay its dues just like CAP pilots getting preached to about flying...........

Maybe CAP Safety Office ought to be busy running around the country doing compliance checks.  I would love to do it, 'cuz I did it in my past life in the EM world.  Can't now because I do not hold an IA certificate