Main Menu

Leave of Absence

Started by link, April 28, 2008, 06:49:29 PM

link

I need to take a leave from CAP for awhile and don't know how long it will be.  Is there any way to ensure that when I do come back that I retain everything I've already earned?  How long does our information stay at National?

Stonewall

Can you keep your membership and just not be active?  Maybe transfer to be a patron member?

If you get out and come back in with less than a 2 year break, you'll keep everything.  After 2 years, you pretty much have to start over.  Not sure if you can keep credit for certain courses like SLS, CLC, RSC, but from what I understand after calling NHQ on a similar subject, you'll lose all your rank and be joining as a "new member" again.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: link on April 28, 2008, 06:49:29 PM
I need to take a leave from CAP for awhile and don't know how long it will be.  Is there any way to ensure that when I do come back that I retain everything I've already earned?  How long does our information stay at National?

let your unit CC know why and how long, pay your dues, and the worst that will happen is you fall into 000 until you come back.

ES Operational ratings will expire as a matter of course for non-participation.

Patron status allows you to maintain grade and decs, but will require a new fingerprint card and background check on return.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If you're a cadet, you need to talk to your squadron leadership -- some have you fill out a Leave of Absense request.  With seniors there is nothing formal that needs to be done, though I would tell the squadron leaders what you plan to do.  Just keep paying your membership dues and you should be fine.  As long as you're a current member your records at NHQ should remain there.

link

Yes, I'm a senior. I think I may just keep the membership up.  I understand that my ES Quals would expire that I don't mind having to start over.  Just my tech ratings, etc I don't want to loose. 

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2008, 06:56:10 PM
Patron status allows you to maintain grade and decs, but will require a new fingerprint card and background check on return.

Quote from: CAPR 39-23) Transfers to patron member status will be submitted to National Headquarters on CAPF 2a. Section II, Duty Assignment/Status Change, will be used, i.e., transfer from "Active Status" to "Patron Status." The original copy will be forwarded directly to National Headquarters and the file copy placed in the members' personnel file. Members desiring to transfer back to active status will use the same procedure. NOTE: Patrons transferring to active status who have not previously completed the FBI screening procedures must include a FD Form 258 with the CAPF 2a.

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on April 28, 2008, 06:53:14 PMIf you get out and come back in with less than a 2 year break, you'll keep everything.  After 2 years, you pretty much have to start over.  Not sure if you can keep credit for certain courses like SLS, CLC, RSC, but from what I understand after calling NHQ on a similar subject, you'll lose all your rank and be joining as a "new member" again.

I'd been out for almost five years. Got my rank back, but my TIG started over. As for all the schools I did, they kept that stuff, gave me credit. After I finished Level 1 again, the rosters showed my Level III completion.

For the most part, it won't affect too much.

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on April 28, 2008, 07:13:59 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2008, 06:56:10 PM

Quote from: CAPR 39-23) Transfers to patron member status will be submitted to National Headquarters on CAPF 2a. Section II, Duty Assignment/Status Change, will be used, i.e., transfer from "Active Status" to "Patron Status." The original copy will be forwarded directly to National Headquarters and the file copy placed in the members' personnel file. Members desiring to transfer back to active status will use the same procedure. NOTE: Patrons transferring to active status who have not previously completed the FBI screening procedures must include a FD Form 258 with the CAPF 2a.

Emphasis mine.

Can't argue the quote, but last year I had a member come out of patron status, one who had been a pilot and other quals in another wing (and also a reservist on active duty), and they required he re-submit his print card before he could come out of patron status or be transferred to my unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 28, 2008, 07:17:10 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 28, 2008, 06:53:14 PMIf you get out and come back in with less than a 2 year break, you'll keep everything.  After 2 years, you pretty much have to start over.  Not sure if you can keep credit for certain courses like SLS, CLC, RSC, but from what I understand after calling NHQ on a similar subject, you'll lose all your rank and be joining as a "new member" again.

I'd been out for almost five years. Got my rank back, but my TIG started over. As for all the schools I did, they kept that stuff, gave me credit. After I finished Level 1 again, the rosters showed my Level III completion.

For the most part, it won't affect too much.

I'm still mulling over rejoining after a 12-year absence.  I know that after Level I I'll be eligible to get my rank back; I wonder that, since so much in the way of record-keeping at NHQ has improved since '96, will any of my achievements still show up?

Hmmmmm...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

Seems very hit or miss. 

SarDragon

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 29, 2008, 08:55:09 PMI'm still mulling over rejoining after a 12-year absence.  I know that after Level I I'll be eligible to get my rank back; I wonder that, since so much in the way of record-keeping at NHQ has improved since '96, will any of my achievements still show up?

If you have any of the paper (certs, 2a's, etc.) to back it up, they will enter it if it's not already there, and you're back in business. I just sent them a bunch of stuff, and they accepted it all.

Are you on real retired status, ot just lapsed? That might make a difference, too. Dunno.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 29, 2008, 08:55:09 PM
I'm still mulling over rejoining after a 12-year absence.  I know that after Level I I'll be eligible to get my rank back; I wonder that, since so much in the way of record-keeping at NHQ has improved since '96, will any of my achievements still show up?

Hmmmmm...

Jack

I am guessing that they do. You can call them to find out. 

They should have all your PD awards and levels and specialty track information.

To reinstate your grade, you will need some proof, like your retirement certificate or approved CAPF 2.
Actually, anything that will document your previous grade should be sufficient.

bricktonfire

I'm take a leave of absence write now it kind of sink though i thinking about rejoining soon though