Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry

Started by Smithsonia, July 21, 2008, 02:19:20 PM

Smithsonia

I've written about a particular one of many Jack Curry's duties during WW2. He was on the Evaluation Board for the Mediterranean Theater. As such he worked on after action Air Corps Bombing reports.
In this duty he made several reports about the bombing campaign against the Romanian oil fields at Ploesti.
From the TeamCAP.Org scribd website SEE HERE:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45900484/WWII-Ploesti-Romania-Report-I

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45900556/WWII-Ploesti-Romania-Report-II

I have a Hap Arnold letter with handwritten notes in the margin which accompanied this report. It states; "Jack has it right and is as clear as sunshine." Which I think is high praise coming from Arnold.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

From the Curry Diaries. Jack learned to fly at Coronado Island in 1915/16. Here is the first half
of his cadet flying entries.
Curry was stationed at North Island Rockwell Field Sept. 1915-May 1916.
Sept 5th Preliminary flight passed Slips rolls pitches I am stomach sick
Sept 7 Wardrobe allowance $37.50. Flight coat and Pantaloon No flight boots issued until graduation.
       18 Arrived San Diego meant Capt Patterson Good Place
       21 Flew with Kilmer Beautiful View of San Diego
       29 Dinner met Katherine Schwartz good sort.
Oct. 4.  Flew 54 min. 2 good landings out of 9. On guard duty tonight.
Oct 7    Flew 50 minutes 3 good landings Thank god I am improving bought Canady' car $250.00
Oct. 9 - bought new suit of clothes and shoes $39.17
Oct. 11 Engine stopped forced to land Taliaferro fell and drowned.
Oct 12 Taliaferro funeral after lecture. Very solemn
       19 Best day yet on guard AM  Scrupper made first flight alone. Me next. total flying time 9hrs 34 min.
       25 Flew good. Solo soon.
       26 First flight alone after 15 min with Brindley (editors note: or Brandley tough to tell)
       27 Spatz gave lecture. Flew 20 minutes alone!
Nov 16. flew with Spatz late 21 minutes. 2 good landings. 3 bad. Spatz lectured for 30 minutes.
"     20 seek to fly Stinson dance at Coronado Hotel.
"     29 Spatz for dinner
Dec 6 Took car to dealer for sale - I want $375.00
Dec. 7 2000ft spiral all right.
Dec. 9 flew both morning and afternoon rough air. Good shape
Dec 14 No flying bad rain. On guard all day.
       17 broke drift wire had to land
        20 Application of Flight lecture very strong
        21 broke connecting rod in #38 from 1500ft got down in good shape.
        24 Fire drill at school dinner with Miss Owens bully party
        25 Mass at 8:15 dinner with Goodmore family sang Christmas Carols.
        29 high wind all day. No flying on guard duty all day.
At this time Jack Curry was 28 and half. He would be 29 and 1 month at the time of his graduation from flight cadet school. His log from this period through the time he was first engaged in 1921 lists a number of young women he dated and met socially. You can see his enthusiasm of flying and purchase of his first car. By the way he named the car "Bug" - other than that I can find no mention of the model or year. He spent much time caring for this car and taking Sunday drives with young ladies.

This concludes the first 3 months of diary entries for JF Curry at flight school.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Mark Hess at Teamcap Library has done some Curry work too. He sent me this note this morning.

"I just created a new Gallery for John F. Curry.  It will have hundreds of Curry's WW1 & WW2 Documents that we have both found in high resolution formats.   Feel free to share this link with anyone." 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teamcivilairpatrol/sets/72157625850638954/detail/

Cheers,
Mark
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Above in the Curry Diaries is a reference to an aviator Walter Tailiaferro's death. Here is the account.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_R._Taliaferro

I think it is a remarkable story of the perils of early military aviation and flight.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Jack Curry and a bunch more Army Air Corps name brands served under Gen. Pershing during the Mexican Punitive Expedition of 1916-17.

1st Aero Squadron Book # 1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48001403/1st-Aero-Squadron-History-I

1st Aero Squadron Book # 2
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48001673/1st-Aero-Squadron-History-II

Team Cap Posted these today. If you read it - you will find interesting things like Congress Awarded $301,000 for military aviation in 1916. Wow, that won't buy enough gas to get one C-17 to Afghanistan, today.... AND this was the first War for Eakers, Spaatz, Arnold, Mitchell, and of course Curry. Give these time to load. They are worth all history buff's time.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I've had requests to place all the day to day Curry Diary entries. I have provided summaries so far and I think it best to continue with this method. BUT here from 1916 is a few months of Jack Curry's diary. I think these are worth skimming. The reason is that many names you know and many you soon will know have their first taste of battle as comrades in arms in the Mexican Campaign. Notice all the accidents, off airport landings. mechanical troubles, and life in Columbus NM in the first part of the twentieth century.

Curry went from Pilot training San Diego right to Columbus NM - jump off for Mexican Punitive Expedition May 1916

1916 June 18 - 2nd Inf to El Paso, wish I could go. Train for me Columbus NM (He's in ABQ NM at this time. (he's in Columbus am  19th)
                 19. 3 miles south into Mexico - Among 5 buildings Remains of Chapman Plane. Accident remarkable. One blade detached and motor turned in housing
                 20 Wings fetched #70. We get Sloans plane.
                 21 Meet Kilner and Chapman in Carriozal.
                 22 Capt Boyd killed in flight Capt. Morey missing
                 23 Situation tense no rumors here
                 24 11th Cav. came through at lunch. Royce and I flew with them until river.
                 25 Morey safe. Royce and Christie grounded. Me to El Paso train
                 26 Christie Pilot Royce Observer 1:32 124 mi.
                 27 temp 118 140 in sun. No flying Royce sick
                 28 Brown and Brooks back - 2 mules failed in heat. Both shot.
                 29 135 in sun. hot as hell. Morey to El Paso
                 30 Chapman back 3 men from Curtis Factory arrive to build props had head clipped short.
          July   1 Troop trains pass through all day. Mass Inf played ball at 2pm.
                   2 paperwork all day. Trains passing into Mex.
                   3. Pvt. Courter besten in Prize fight. Bloody and unconscious for an hour. Cool tomorrow. Brooks and Rader south patrol.
                   4. Desolate post. Brooks and I pay troops go to Bronco bust in morning. Wilburn and Johnson made a ride
                   5. Mr. Scott of Curtis Factory here all day. #75 cam back smoking and nearly crashed. rain this evening good and cooler
                   6. Dodd and Willis returned on 5Oclock train Rader and I flew 1.5 hrs.
                   7 Left Columbus by truck Capt. RB Harper Command. Arrived Mills Dist 5:30 dusty no water.
                   8 Left Mills Dist at 5:30am bad roads. Oro DeFredorico 4PM.
                   9. La Bayada left at 4am back to Mills. Brooks and Rader flew south 25 mi. in #68
                 10. Flew as passenger with Kilner (or Kilmer I can't tell) 6am. Badly marked map back in 1hour and 10.
                 11. No fly today. Martin and I walked 8 miles on RRtrack. Cool damp all day
                 12. No fly today Martin and I patrol track 10 mi toward El Paso. Head clipped in afternoon
                 13. Kilner and I make 2 flight in #68 bad motor. Landed twice as precaution. ]
                 14. Pistol Practice bought revolver $18.50. Eagle Pass for exam. Field Artillery transfer Rader Brooks missing
                 15. Rader Brooks safe, Field artillery study all day. Kinson back from El Paso
                 16. Mass am. Did little all day
                 17. Kilner flight am Artillaery field guide study rest of day.
                 18. Did not fly. Did laundry and pistol practice.
                 19. One flight with Kilner. Studied all day
                  20. Patrolled tracks all day tiresome as hell.
                  21. flew 59 min. with Gorrell am fine flight. Alt 5500 ft. cooled off. Pistol practice.
                  22. New motor in #65 runs good. All propellers fixed and finally in good shape.
                  23. Mass am Pistol practice with Barnes (or Barmes can't tell)
                  24. All machines ready taxied about field for hours to test.
                  25. 2 instruction flights with Dodd. Gorrell landed in strong cross wind and banged up nose.
                  26 Flew alone in number 65 good bird. Capt. Harper back form below (Mexico)
                  27 Flew no 65 with Willis assemble machine gun afternoon
                  28 Practice with Lewis gun am. Rain tonight
                  29 Flew 65. Sheared water pump shaft. Barnes and I are in #75 for a week or so.
                  30 Heavy rain cool all day Mass am
                  31Got transport to Eagle Pass. Take field artillery test tomorrow.
            Aug. 1Corp. Randle cut hand bad on Propeller. Left on Golden State for Eagle Pass stayed in El Paso
                    2 All day on train. Arrived Eagle Pass 6 pm. Stayed Hotel Eagle. Spent day with John Kennedy and Bains pleasant day
                    3. Eagle Pass Tx. took test nothing but questions and then kicked up targets. Hope to see people I know
                    4 took horsemanship test rode 18 miles. Left Eagle Pass for San Antonio arrive 9Pm made trip with Maloney
                    5 rain all day. Spent afternoon at movie Met Wells for dinner.
                    6. After mass went to Aviation Post. met Capt. and Mrs. Price for dinner. Left San Antonio for Columbus at 8:50pm
                    7. cool and pleasant all day. Menoher and Hoover for dinner El Paso. Stayed Hotel Sheldon
                    8. Left El Paso for Columbus once again much has happened in my absence.
                    9. Foulios Observer Gorrell Pilot fly to Dunbar Colomia 120 mi.
                  10. Flew 20 min #65 this AM.
                  11. Made 2 flight in #65. Brown left for San Diego. I took his car for drive.
                  12. Flew 65 engine missing badly. Kilner and Martin leave for Mineola LI.
                  13 Christie and Royce flew from Colomia Dublan this am in 66 min. Christie ordered to Chicago. Foulois detailed to aviation section as Maj.
                  14 Flew #65 for 40 min. Fly to Oro Federico tomorrow. If Willis back from Colomia Dublan he will come too. If not detailed with GCM with Raymond.
                  15. Flew 371 to Oro Frederico in 1 hr. 50 min. Good trip. Corpl Fredericks as passenger. Splendid flight.
                  16. 2 month in Columbus. Nothing new.
                  17. Getting #67 ready for trip south.
                  18. Flew #67 machine handles well.
                  19. One trip in #67. Crew ready to go south. Butts and Hefferman arrived today.
                  20. All ready to go. Rienberg arrived today. Papers say Funston recommends Expedition go.
                  21. McDonald reported today. Crew left for south today.
                  22. Atkinson observer Curry Pilot. Started for Colomia Dunbar. Radiator cap loose forced land. Rader, Spatz, Brooks here now.
                  23. Met Bob Fletcher. Rader and Brooks head back to Columbus. Heavy rain shuts us down.
                  24. Rain storm damaged machines slightly. Late start checking airplanes. Gen. to camp for inspection.
                  25. Made reconnaissance trip to to Galena. fine country to fly over. Borren and Spatz flew to El Valle and returned.
                  26. Short trip around valley. PM ordered to Columbus to be supply officer go by truck. Change orders to fly PM.
                  27. With Atkinson as Observer I fly to Columbus 1hr 20 min to be new supply officer
                  28. Sick today bad diarrhea - Hufferman observer and Atkinson Pilot fly south again.
                  29. still under the weather today. Did not go out.
                  30 starting to check property today. Bed roll and locker arrive from Dublan today.
                  31 Nothing new
           Sept. 1 Brooks back from Coronado. Checked property all day.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

For 2 and half years I have been writing about Jack Curry on this thread.

I have come to a conclusion about his service. CAP was in my opinion one of his minor accomplishments.

His major service to the country and the greatest effort of WW2 was 2nd Air Force, Western Technical and Training Command, and 4th District Technical and Training Command. From a stone cold start of 3500 airmen total in the later thirties - Western Technical and Training Command trained around 1.5 million airmen, almost all the bomber crews, built 174 air bases and auxiliary fields, and made a significant difference in WW2. Here's one of his bases - The Fresno Basic Training Depot which came online in 1943.
Give it time to load. See here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48562889/WWII-General-Curry-Base-Review

You can read about just one of the 174 facilities JF Curry built during his command. (by the way he also expanded 27 other major air bases and facilities) In total under his command this remarkable achievement remains a fabulous accomplishment to this day.
Source:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/28303836/1907-47-Army-Air-Fields-History
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Jill

Ed,

Thank You so much for providing the links above.  The base in Fresno was called Hammer Field which is where my father trained prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  The photos in the link are great!

Jill

Smithsonia

Jill;
Wonderful - here is more - both different and in depth - version.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48609972/WWII-Fresno-Army-Training-Center

If one can truly connect the distant past with the clear present - It is a fine day.

Thank Mark Hess at TeamCap for this version.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Jill

Excellent.  Has been shared with two WW2 Vets as of today who were stationed at Hammer Field.  Thank you so much.  Thanks to you Mark.

Jill

Smithsonia

I went to see a relative of Jack Curry yesterday. Kim Callahan is John F. Curry's - sister's - granddaughter. Making Kim a Grand niece.

Kim met Jack and stayed with him several times. She knew him as an old (or older) man in the 1950s through 60s and until Jack passed away in '73. Besides the fact she is a lovely woman, the reason I like Kim is she has a sparkly crack of enthusiasm in her voice. It is not a glow. It is not golden. It is the sparkle of a much younger woman. But this is not a trivial sparkle is a a SPARKY sparkle. It is enthusiasm with intention attached. It combines a storyteller's lilt with a football coaches hand clapping exhortation. She is happy to hear about her Uncle Jack. Kim Callahan's voice is warm and from the heart. It goes right down to the soul and you can tell it in every word. There aren't false notes, unannounced agendas, or superfluous blathering in her voice. It has personal integrity under the sparkle. It is voice full of Curry family traits.

To that point - one of her grand sons had a bit of an ongoing and concerning health issues. Most of us would have let our distraction show. Kim did not. While we talked about her great uncle - she was an active listener. These things are not small. These things are not small at all...

Being that Shelia Curry Dekalb has much the same voice and manners, I think that given the voice and manners of these women - are a pure reflection and direct "channelers" of Jack Curry. I suppose that with his 10,000 entries in his diaries (which I have) and imagining the male version of the two exemplars (Kim and Shelia) I think I am pretty close to the aural history of the man. I suppose this is a very Irish thing. I am Irish. Jack was Irish. These two women are Irish. Pegging Jack's voice is important information as an aid to tell his story. I am lucky to have these two talking
touch stones. I am thankful and appreciative.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

It has occurred to me that some of the findings among the Curry thread need some explanation. Above you will find any number of
characters who came and went in the Curry Diary entries. Here's some references. First of all Mark Hess and TeamCap now has about 210 exhibits posted in
the Curry Collection. 

You'll need to rummage around a bit to find them all but there are now 208 exhibits in the Curry Collection, see here: (still under construction)
http://exhibits.teamcap.org/index.php?cat=48

If you look at the Mexico Expedition/Columbus New Mexico diary entries above - here's a list of the characters. Once you see the passing mentions of these
various names - who would later in life have great significance - then the size of Jack Curry looms larger. Best to printout the Columbus
NM diary entries while you click on each of these biographies.
Maj. General Ralph Royce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Royce
Gen. Benjamin Foulois.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Foulois
Reed Landis - Civil Defense Authority WW2 in WW1 he was a colleague of Jack. Reed Landis: http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/landis.htm
Capt. Edgar Gorrell: http://earlyaviators.com/egorrell.htm
Capt. Arthur Raymond Brooks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Raymond_Brooks
Capt. Carl Spaatz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Andrew_Spaatz (known as Spatz in WW1)
Capt. Walter G. Kilner: http://www.earlyaviators.com/ekilner1.htm
Col. Frank Lahm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_P._Lahm
Capt. Herbert Dargue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Dargue

Here's a great narrative of the Days at Columbus told from the point of view of several men mentioned in JF Curry's Diaries.
http://www.historynet.com/mexican-expedition-1st-aero-squadron-in-pursuit-of-pancho-villa.htm
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I spent part of the last few days with Sheila Curry DeKalb in southern California. I showed her the Curry Diaries and left one of the 5 that I have with her to go through in depth.

These diaries with nearly daily mentions of his family were never shared with the family. Sheila never saw them, not ever.

To these diaries John Curry committed his private thoughts of loss and worry. He wrote of trouble, death, pain, joy, and significant moments. For instance: The nearly 100 day fight for Shelia's life (she had a terrible ear infection in the winter of 1930 that nearly cost her life) was of particular interest to Sheila. Also her mother and father's first dates and 10 months as acouple then Jack Curry's proposal of marriage are all of certain interest to Shelia.

Jack Curry must've believed that these dates and his thoughts were important to him. He kept these diaries and entries to himself. I have read most of the entries by now but cataloged only about 40% so far. In these diaries we see a man in full. A life well lived. Growth. Redemption. Worry. Hope. Trust. Duty. We see an arch of a man's life, for instance.

Jack Curry liked the ladies as a young fighter pilot with an upwardly mobile career he talks about the parties and women that he met along the way.

Jack Curry was a committed family man. After he was married Jack had a nearly daily entry on what his two girls or wife did on any particular day.

His buddies and acquaintances : Olds, Fairchild, Spaatz, Eakers, Eglin, Royce, Brown, Mitchell, Chennault, Lindbergh, Orville Wright, LaGuardia, even FDR come and go. They go to dinner or cocktails. They stay at his house. They bring news. They tell stories and have a social life. What is constant is his family. The important thing particularly at the end of the day, which seems to be when his diaries are updated, is a man, his thoughts, and his family. Read enough of Jack Curry's entries and you will come to the same feeling that I have. He was noble, fair, well spoken, committed, conscientious, consistent, steadfast, hearty, and most of all a family man.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I've been off Curry Duty for a few months as I catch up on other things. Today that is changed.

SEE HERE: http://www.scribd.com/doc/56278295/1st-Aero-Squadron-Personal-Account
This is a personal account of the Mexican Punitive Expedition of Black Jack Pershing and the men of 1st Aero Squadron. Carl Spaatz (Spatz) Jack Curry and many other young brave pioneering airmen were making up aerial bombing, gunnery, and combat from scratch. They were in rickety Jennys in hostile territory. This account indicates the near perfectly preposterous circumstances of bad planes, hot weather, tough terrain, little logistical support, and no real training - that these men were working under.

Study the feats of this daring 1st Aero Sqdrn. band more - the higher your estimation of their bravery will grow.

From the Library of Mark Hess, my thanks to him.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I went to see Sheila Curry DeKalb in early Oct. Sheila is the daughter of Jack and Eleanor Curry. I invited Charley Wiest but unfortunately he was a National Staff College. I found Mrs. DeKalb as sweet and as dear as always. She asked me to print off this thread, I have. It makes a very thick volume. Over 300 pages. It is over 35,000 words on the good General, his beloved Army/Air Force and of course CAP. (to compare a novel is usually 60-75,000 words)

As a narrative character General Curry takes us through the wobbly dawn of aviation into the establishment of American Air Power and the nuclear age as the Air Force becomes the most dominant force this side of God. It has been a labor of love. It is a labor in which the love has been returned measure for measure from Sheila and her family, and you too. To Sheila, I am sending off the printed book this weekend.

We will meet at the Good General's and Mrs. Curry's grave for the 5th annual Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony at Ft. Logan National Cemetery in Denver. We will conduct this ceremony on Sat. Dec. 3rd at 10:30am. Every member of CAP is invited.

I will leave my work on this fine man for awhile. I am a Deputy Commander of my Squadron, spend way more time training
others in ES than I have ever planned, have taken over the Wings Airborne Photography Training Program, double as PAO/Historian and training officer for my group/squadron/and Wing, and need to make a hole in my schedule to see my Grandkids and wife on occasion.

I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am gratified for everyone who has read this thread and prompted deeper into the biography, times, and deeds of Jack Curry. My appreciation is deep and long for all.

I lay down my pen to attend to other matters. I thank you all.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

The Annual Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony
Date: Saturday Dec 3rd, 2011
Time:  Sign in at 0:900 hrs and Ceremony Begins - 09:30 hrs (please be on time)
Place: Ft. Logan National Cemetery - Shelter A - see directions below   
ALL MEMBERS OF THE PATROL FROM ANY UNIT ARE MOST WELCOME

CURRY CADET PRESENTATION AND MAJ. GEN. CURRY GRAVESIDE TRIBUTE: CAPs First National Commander, Maj. Gen. John F. Curry is buried at Ft. Logan National Cemetery in Denver. CAP was organized on Dec. 1, 1941 . The CO/WG and will conduct a Graveside Ceremony in honor of CAP Day. This ceremony will be held DECEMBER 3rd, 2011 at Ft. Logan National Cemetery. SEE DIRECTIONS BELOW.

DESCRIPTION OF EVENT: 09:30 AM. on Saturday Dec. 3rd 2011, CO/WG will conduct a ceremony at the graveside of Maj. Gen. John Curry. This will be a 90 minute  ceremony consisting of presentation of honored guests (and other special invitees TBA), Gen. Curry's biography, and a gravesite salute by cadets. We will dismiss no later than 11:00 hrs. (Sign-in at 0900 hrs)
   LOCATION: Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Directions here: http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/ftlogan.asp
Follow Interstate 25 to exit, Hampden Avenue (Highway 285). Turn (west) heading toward the mountains to Sheridan Boulevard. Turn left (south) on Sheridan Boulevard.
Cemetery is located two blocks south of Hampden Avenue on the left (east) side of Sheridan Boulevard. At the main West Entrance we will have officer or cadet with instructions to Pavilion A. Parking is limited. Please be on time. We don't want to leave people in the weather any longer than is necessary. We will meet at Shelter - A.       
    UNIFORM: Senior Members: USAF Style Dress or appropriate corporate equivalent (No polos). Cadets: BDU/Utility Uniform/or USAF Style Dress and dress appropriately for the weather. All Uniforms, shoes and boots should be clean and presentable. Plan on being in the weather for up to 90 minutes. Plan on cold and possible snowy conditions. Boots, over-shoes, overcoats, mufflers, gloves - acceptable. Squadron Officers will conduct a uniform inspection of their own cadets before the ceremony. This inspection should be informal and one-on-one. The first year we had 60 degrees and sunny. Last year - was a fresh 6 inch layer snow and 36 degrees. This years weather, of course, is to be determined. We'll find out together.

If you'd like to view a You Tube Video of a Curry Salute ceremony, click here:
                      Civil Air Patrol cadets participate in unique promotion ceremony

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

The Annual Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Salute Beats the Weather into Reverence -

On Saturday Dec. 3rd at Ft. Logan National Cemetery the Colorado Wing gathered among snow drifts over a foot high, to get warm.

In a celebration of the Civil Air Patrol's 70th anniversary - 38 CAP members, cadets, and assorted parents came to pay tribute to our past and salute our future.

Our past is located at the grave of Maj. General John F. Curry. Our future is the 15 cadet airmen who received their Curry Award in this place of eternal rest and undying homage.

Capt. David King provided the invocation. C/2nd Lt. Patrick Neff piped "Amazing Grace." Wing Heritage Officer Capt. Ed O'Brien provided a biographic synopsis of the good General. And, members: M/Sgt. Cynthia Smith, E.J. Bennett, and Mary Cast - performed honors and tributes.

Maj. Gen. Curry was the Civil Air Patrol's first National Commander. He was known to his friends as "Jack." AND - Jack built 214 Air Corps bases, auxiliary fields, bombing ranges, and depots in WW2. He also trained over 1 million men for combat in all theaters of war. Then as a retired General - Jack Curry, beginning in 1952, helped bring the Air Force Academy to Colorado in 1958. He was more than CAP's first National Commander, he was an indispensable pivot point of military planning, building, execution, and history from 1916 through 1946. His accomplishments are scattered throughout our history and both our history and his accomplishments were honored on this day. 

And so, these new Curry cadets were introduced by name - to the General and Mrs. Curry. Salutes were presented at graveside - with parents looking on and friends in silent attention. The Cadet's salutes were accepted in the name of the Patrol and the Curry Family by Col. Gary Tobey, Lt. Col. Gary Falls, and Maj. Thomas Scheffel.

As Maj. Scheffel stated; "... this is a thing that won't mean as much today to these cadets as it will when they are our age. Then it will mean so very much to them. So very much!"

Though the temperature was in the low twenties and the snow was falling at over an inch per hour -  Even after the ceremony was dismissed, all participants lingered at the grave site to bask in a good deed done, take a few commemorative pictures, and appreciate a heartfelt mission into memory accomplished.

Capt. O'Brien concluded: "the snowy conditions brought an intimacy to the ceremony this year. This was our warmest Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony, no matter the weather."

After the ceremony was done - Col. Tobey called the last remaining first generation relative of General Curry, daughter Sheila. She is in delicate health at age 86 and resides in Southern California. Col. Tobey reports; "Sheila was most pleased and thanks all of us in the Colorado Wing for remembering her Dad and mother."

How can any of us forget Gen. Curry? Why would any of us forget his 4th Annual Salute and Awards Ceremony? After-all, it was so warm.

Reporter: Capt. Ed O'Brien -Colorado Wing Deputy Historian and Black Sheep Squadron PAO
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Rod Stadum

For those interested in Maj Gen Curry,

A photo of ? Captain Curry with six of the Round-the-World-Flight crewmen has been discovered in Dayton, OH.  They are pictured in front of the Douglas World Cruiser Chicago. 

The photo location is not stated, but could be Dayton, where Curry was Chief AS Engr. Div. from 1924-1927.  The year is assumed 1924, the year of the flight.  DWC Chicago was housed at Dayton until transfer to the Smithsonian in September 1925.  Curry's connection to the Round-the-World-Flight is not known.

Eclipse

Quote from: Rod Stadum on November 11, 2012, 03:23:30 AM
For those interested in Maj Gen Curry,

A photo of ? Captain Curry with six of the Round-the-World-Flight crewmen has been discovered in Dayton, OH.  They are pictured in front of the Douglas World Cruiser Chicago. 

The photo location is not stated, but could be Dayton, where Curry was Chief AS Engr. Div. from 1924-1927.  The year is assumed 1924, the year of the flight.  DWC Chicago was housed at Dayton until transfer to the Smithsonian in September 1925.  Curry's connection to the Round-the-World-Flight is not known.

It appears he was welcoming the flight.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675071970_Douglas-World-Cruiser_John-F-Curry_Mayor-F-B-Hale_Jack-Harding

"Douglas World Cruisers aviators are greeted by army officers, government dignitaries and friends in Dayton, Ohio."

US Army Air Service Douglas World Cruisers (DWC) in the United States during their first flight around the world. In Dayton, Ohio: A formation of three world cruisers. A formation of six aircraft. American aviator Lieutenant Jack Harding seated on the shoulders of a man being welcomed by personnel. Lt. Erik H. Nelson's dog wags a friendly welcome. Greetings are given to Lt. Nelson as he is handed a bouquet of flowers and is greeted by his dog. Mayor F.B. Hale presents a traveling bag to each flier. A flier as he accepts a bag. Two other pilots holding bags. US Army Major John F. Curry as he welcomes all the pilots and crew members. Homecoming for Lt. Nelson, Lt. Leigh Wade and Lt. Harding. A crowd along a ramp. A sign above a building: 'This Field is Small'. A world cruiser taxiing at McCook Field.   

This historic stock footage available in HD and SD video. View pricing in lower left of video player.

"That Others May Zoom"

Smithsonia

The 5th Annual Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Salute and Awards  Ceremony
  Date: Saturday Dec 1st, 2012
  Time:  (please be on time) Sign in at 0:930 hrs and Ceremony Begins - 10:00 hrs
  Place: Ft. Logan National Cemetery - Shelter A - see directions below
CURRY CADET PRESENTATION AND MAJ. GEN. CURRY GRAVESIDE TRIBUTE: CAPs First National Commander, Maj. Gen. John F. Curry is buried at Ft. Logan National Cemetery in Denver. CAP was first organized Dec. 1, 1941 . The CO/WG and Group One will conduct a Graveside Ceremony in honor of CAP Day and our first National Commander. This ceremony will be held on DECEMBER 1st 2012 at Ft. Logan. SEE DIRECTIONS BELOW.

DESCRIPTION OF EVENT: At 10:00 hrs. on Dec. 1st 2012, CO/WG and Group One will conduct a ceremony at the graveside of Maj. Gen. John Curry. This will be a one hour ceremony consisting of presentation of honored guests, Gen. Curry's biography, and a gravesite salute by cadets. We will dismiss no later than 11:30 hrs.

LOCATION: Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Directions here: http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/ftlogan.asp Follow Interstate 25 to exit, Hampden Avenue (Highway 285). Turn (west) heading toward the mountains to Sheridan Boulevard. Turn left (south) on Sheridan Boulevard. Cemetery is located two blocks south of Hampden Avenue on the left (east) side of Sheridan Boulevard. At the main West Entrance we will have officer or cadet with instructions to Pavilion A. Parking is limited. Please be on time. We don't want to leave people in the weather any longer than is necessary. We will meet at Shelter - A.             
UNIFORM: Senior Members: Air Force Dress or appropriate corporate equivalent. Cadets: BDU/Utility Uniform and dress appropriately for the weather. All Uniforms and boots should be clean and presentable. Plan on being in the weather for up to 90 minutes. Plan on cold and possible snowy conditions. Boots, over-shoes, overcoats, mufflers, gloves - acceptable. Squadron Officers will conduct a uniform inspection of their own cadets before the ceremony. This inspection should be informal and one-on-one. This inspection is to ensure CAP compliance regarding picture posts. Please inform project officer of 39-1 non-compliant members before ceremony.
ALWAYS DRESS FOR THE WEATHER. INCLEMENT WEATHER AND PRECIPITATION MEANS AN UNANNOUNCED CHANGE TO BOOTS, BDUS, COATS, HATS, GLOVES, and SCARVES are ACCEPTABLE. This is a rain, snow, or shine event!
Signed:
CAP CO. Wing Commander Col. Earl Sherwin
Group One Commander Lt. Col. William Aceves
PLEASE RESPOND TO: CAP Project Officer - Maj. Ed O'Brien
303-871-9005/ email: ed@e-obrien.com
With regards;
ED OBRIEN