You never know what you might find!

Started by Capt_Redfox30, August 29, 2012, 10:44:20 PM

Capt_Redfox30

A couple weeks ago I was in North Carolina for my Girlfriends Sisters Wedding, we had sometime to kill so we went to go see Mt Airy, aka Mayberry, Andy Griffiths hometown!  We stopped in an antique store on the town square and I found a picture of WW2 era CAP members, (it is at attached).  The story that I got from the owner of the store is that the gentlemen that brought it in was a regular customer who specializes in photographs.  She has no idea of where he got it from, but she knows he attends a lot of flee markets and antique shows.  So must have picked it up there. 

Here is what I can tell from the photo,

• There are two members in WW2 Era uniforms, both are lieutenants
  • Both have a service ribbon on, cant tell if its a blue,red,or green
  • Both have what looks like pre-1949 Pilot Wings
  • I believe one of them has the missing aircraft search patch on his sleeve?
  • Finally, one of them has on a single service strip, not sure the color

The only information I have found, it what is written on the photo, it says Civil Air Patrol Early Piper Cub 1930's-1940's

I would gladly make a copy of the photograph if anyone would like one sent to them.

I think that it was such a find for only $10.00
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Jill

I would like a copy.  PM me for contact information.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SJFedor

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on August 29, 2012, 10:44:20 PM
A couple weeks ago I was in North Carolina for my Girlfriends Sisters Wedding, we had sometime to kill so we went to go see Mt Airy, aka Mayberry, Andy Griffiths hometown!  We stopped in an antique store on the town square and I found a picture of WW2 era CAP members, (it is at attached).  The story that I got from the owner of the store is that the gentlemen that brought it in was a regular customer who specializes in photographs.  She has no idea of where he got it from, but she knows he attends a lot of flee markets and antique shows.  So must have picked it up there. 

Here is what I can tell from the photo,

• There are two members in WW2 Era uniforms, both are lieutenants
  • Both have a service ribbon on, cant tell if its a blue,red,or green
  • Both have what looks like pre-1949 Pilot Wings
  • I believe one of them has the missing aircraft search patch on his sleeve?
  • Finally, one of them has on a single service strip, not sure the color

The only information I have found, it what is written on the photo, it says Civil Air Patrol Early Piper Cub 1930's-1940's

I would gladly make a copy of the photograph if anyone would like one sent to them.

I think that it was such a find for only $10.00

Kinda looks like the one to the right has a cell phone holder or something on his belt, kinda hard to tell.

Neat picture though!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

That's a wallet hung over the belt. Olde military trick, especially in the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AdAstra

Great photo! Most likely it is from 1942-43.

The only difference  between the red-blue-green service ribbons was the color bands on the edges. In a black and white photo, they all look grey!

Hard to tell whether the patch is Missing Aircraft (binoculars) or Courier Service (foot).

I haven't seen a service strip worn on the shirt before, but only those on service coats. They were gold, Army-style.
Charles Wiest

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on September 09, 2012, 12:17:39 AMThat's a wallet hung over the belt. Olde military trick, especially in the Navy.
Or a Star Trek Communicator in a leather case ...

ol'fido

My thoughts were either a sunglasses case or one of the old leather ammo pouches for a .38 like they used to wear before everyone went to speedloaders. Didn't know about the wallet thing.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

Quote from: a2capt on September 09, 2012, 03:21:19 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 09, 2012, 12:17:39 AMThat's a wallet hung over the belt. Olde military trick, especially in the Navy.

ROFL   :clap:

ColonelJack

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 12, 2012, 08:48:14 AM

Better put in a call to Temporal Investigations...Starfleet personnel mucking about in time travel again...sheesh.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 12, 2012, 11:02:31 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 12, 2012, 08:48:14 AM

Better put in a call to Temporal Investigations...Starfleet personnel mucking about in time travel again...sheesh.

Jack

Space and time are never a straight line. In the end, it's all wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Dracosbane

Looking at the large version and then zooming in with my iPad, the patch on the sleeve seems to be a foot with wings (Mercury's foot) and not binocs.

Brad

Quote from: Dracosbane on October 30, 2012, 12:36:31 PM
Looking at the large version and then zooming in with my iPad, the patch on the sleeve seems to be a foot with wings (Mercury's foot) and not binocs.

Agreed, looks like a foot with wings with the toe pointing left.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN