Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Reunion

Started by MichaelAGates, April 19, 2010, 02:07:25 AM

MichaelAGates

Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Reunion

Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio.

The National Museum of the United States Air Force

A reunion was held April 16-18th to honor the Doolittle Raiders, who on April 18, 1942, achieved the unimaginable when their B-25 Mitchell bombers took off from an aircraft carrier on a top-secret mission to bomb Japan. Lt. Col. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle led the 80 men who risked their lives on the mission.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/doolittle.asp

Early on Saturday April 17th a collection of B-25 Mitchell bombers were flown to Wright Patterson and placed on public display on the museum runway. The public was later allowed onto the runway to inspect and photograph the aircraft.

The Ohio Wing of the Civil Air Patrol was asked a few days before the event to assist with the bomber display. Senior members and cadets from the Wright-Patterson Cadet Squadron came to assist, as well as, several senior members from across the state. CAP members provided security, crowd control, and information to the public during the event. At the end of the event, CAP members did FOD collection on the runway.

Photos of the B-25 Mitchell bombers and Civil Air Patrol members working the event can be seen at the link below.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/MichaelAGates/Doolittle%20Raiders%20April%2017%202010/

All 382 photos were taken by Michael Gates.

The Photos Show:
Aircraft landing.
Aircraft taxiing onto runway for the show.
Aircraft parked during the show.
Aircraft taxiing to end of runway for the night.
Cadets assisting throughout the event.

Seabee219

I have a real nice Power point slide show that has the raiders on it.  A real eye opener for what those men went through. 
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

alamrcn

FANTASTIC! SIX Mitchells from what I saw in one photo. Haven't seen that many together since 1995 when the largest group of WWII aircraft - since WWII - flew over Oshkosh.

Had the oportunity to meet and work with the crew of the Ruptured Duck (of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" movie fame) over several days, many years ago.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Major Lord

Our Squadron provided "security" for the Doolittle Reunion they held outside Travis a number of years back. One of the coolest activities ever. How many Raiders are left?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Smithsonia

Last week I was at Monte Vista Airport near Alamosa Colorado. There was a great picture of Jimmy Doolittle and a fishing party from the post war 40s. Apparently he was the guest of Raider Richard Knobloch http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/knobloch.htm

Gen. Doolittle brought a B-24 and landed in an open hay farm. The small back and white has 15 or 20 running for the plane through the stubble wearing their field clothes... just to shake the great man''s hand. Several women were still wearing their kitchen aprons and fussing with their hair so to look more presentable. It is a wonderful little piece of history.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

MichaelAGates

Quote from: Major Lord on April 20, 2010, 10:01:23 PM
Our Squadron provided "security" for the Doolittle Reunion they held outside Travis a number of years back. One of the coolest activities ever. How many Raiders are left?

Major Lord

Eight Raiders left, four attended the event.

17 bombers where at the event on April 17, 2010.

Seabee219

That is great, I like all the info and stories from WWII.  Soon there will be no one left who was there. This keeps the memory alive.
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Smithsonia

Although the damage was negligible the propaganda value, morale boost, audacity, boldness, and intrepidity of the Doolittle mission may be unsurpassed in 4500 years of military history. It was simply extraordinary in every regard.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Quote from: alamrcn on April 20, 2010, 09:22:30 PM
FANTASTIC! SIX Mitchells from what I saw in one photo. Haven't seen that many together since 1995 when the largest group of WWII aircraft - since WWII - flew over Oshkosh.

Had the oportunity to meet and work with the crew of the Ruptured Duck (of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" movie fame) over several days, many years ago.
That book, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo was the first book I ever checked out of a library.  Lt Ted Lawson told that story and it still sticks in my mind.  I was horrified as a youngster that they had to cut his leg off.  That was probably the first special operation undertaken by the US in WW2, certainly the most damaging to the "dignity" of the Japanese government and a huge boost to the morale of America.

Those little bombers and their light loads accomplished more than they could have dreamed.

alamrcn

Unfortunately, Ted Lawson had passed just a few years before I met the crew... But I did meet his wife Ellen (also my wife's name) - What a SWEETHEART! We were able to trade a couple postcards and Christmas cards before she passed.

Ellen Lawson told me a story about her husband sneeking her onto a B-25, and then flying UNDER the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransico! No one ever found out, and I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag now... Holy crap, can you imagine the National news that would make if done today?!

Col Hank Potter sent me on a Top Secret mission to the store for a pack of cigarettes - because his wife didn't want him smoking!

Wouldn't trade those memories to meet ANY movie star of today!
Well, maybe Jessica Simpson  :-* LOL

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota