Civil Air Patrol As Well As Federal Government to Close Down!

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 25, 2011, 06:00:38 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Lord on March 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM...Avocado Advisory board goes unfunded, I don't think we will have Libya-level riots.

I don't think you understand the true power of guacamole.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARDOC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 25, 2011, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on March 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM...Avocado Advisory board goes unfunded, I don't think we will have Libya-level riots.

I don't think you understand the true power of guacamole.

Okay now that there is funny

jks19714

I suppose that means that our research at the We-Bunkum Tech regarding the impact of the cost of D-cells on the urban economy will also suffer.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Major Lord on March 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM
...I don't think we will have Libya-level riots.
Those kick in when the frosty cold malted beverages stop flowing.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Header

OK, let's work this out.  A USAF C130 costs about $2700 per hour to operate. With a crew of 9 each will have to kick in $300 per hour to cover the cost. Since they have"skin in the game" they shouldn't have a problem with this. Ridiculous for them.  Ridiculous for CAP.

PaulR

I have been through several of these over the years... the govt will not "shut down".  The military will not be disbanded.  Anarchy and civil strife will not take over(at least not over this). 

This is a great way to save money though!  Just think of all of the spending curtailed because of this.  Only essential purchases and spending are going through now.  I say stretch it out a bit longer.

N Harmon

Quote from: Pylon on March 25, 2011, 08:14:44 PMThey only get 5 front seat powered rides through their entire cadet career.  The total program is sufficient to keep cadets engaged when properly run.  O-Flights are just an icing on the proverbial cake.

Yeah, I think we had gotten used to it being a more integral part of the cadet program than we should have. But of course, that is not how our recruiting materials sell the program so we probably were not the only ones.

Quote from: Header on March 26, 2011, 12:56:50 AMOK, let's work this out.  A USAF C130 costs about $2700 per hour to operate. With a crew of 9 each will have to kick in $300 per hour to cover the cost. Since they have"skin in the game" they shouldn't have a problem with this. Ridiculous for them.  Ridiculous for CAP.

You're comparing apples and potatoes. The CAP is an all volunteer force and shelling out money to play has been a part of this thing for as long as anyone I know can remember. If anything, it has gotten better recently with better financial management allowing the wings to shoulder the temporary costs of operations prior to reimbursement.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

starshippe

Major Lord

Quote from: starshippe on March 26, 2011, 02:17:52 PM

. . we seem to have plenty of money for war.

bill

Oh , if that were only true! There are so many real enemies deserving of being sent to an ignoble death.. We have not had an actual war in many years, just a series of "Police Actions" carried out with the tacit consent, but not the lawful  vote and declaration, of the Congress. Only Congress can declare War, which they will not do. Declaring lawful war has real consequences, such as making aiding the enemy an act of treason. War is at least one of the things that Congress is actually Constitutionally permitted to do, unlike the Avocado Advisory Board, and funding research projects into the effects of cocaine on monkeys. (It turns out, the monkeys really liked cocaine, and it only took about 10 million tax-payer dollars to discover this) That pesky Constitution again....It is pretty much viewed as a general "guideline" by the Feds, not actual law. Up until a couple of weeks ago, our Government was still sending foreign aid funding to Libya, and now we are sending Tomahawks to provide "humanitarian relief". Neither strategy seems to be particularly successful...War do yes, or war do no...no war do so-so!

Major Lord
p.s. I think Khaddafi may be a Zombie, so make sure you open his cranial vault when you double tap him.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NCRblues

Quote from: starshippe on March 26, 2011, 02:17:52 PM
. . we seem to have plenty of money for war.

bill

Would you care to find out what would happen if we ever run out of money for national defense?

Because I would not...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: starshippe on March 26, 2011, 02:17:52 PM. . we seem to have plenty of money for war.

OK, seriously?

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

OK, here's the skinny:

1.  CAP/NHQ will not shut down.  My wife is our Wing Administrator, and got an email about this.  They have contingency plans, and while some services may be temporarily reduced, they will still be available as needed.

2.  We won't stop doing actual missions.  This money comes from a different bucket, and is available as needed.

3.  Money already set aside for approved missions (already planned and approved in WIMRS) is available as planned.

Do not panic, all is well...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 26, 2011, 04:33:03 PMDo not panic, all is well...

Actually, when "all is well" is usually the time to start planning the panic...

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2011, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on March 26, 2011, 04:33:03 PMDo not panic, all is well...

Actually, when "all is well" is usually the time to start planning the panic...
If people did that, there would be no panic! ;D

Header

Pay to "play"?  Play?  Talk about "play" to the widow of the pilot we fished out of a lake last year. I don't see our volunteer work as "play".  Anyone who does is a Frank Burns to CAP and needs to leave now.

SarDragon

Quote from: Header on March 27, 2011, 01:39:17 AM
Pay to "play"?  Play?  Talk about "play" to the widow of the pilot we fished out of a lake last year. I don't see our volunteer work as "play".  Anyone who does is a Frank Burns to CAP and needs to leave now.

You are broadly correct. From your perspective, it is not play, such as a child (and some adults) might do. The context used was equating play with participation, and we certainly pay do pay to participate.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 26, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
OK, here's the skinny:

1.  CAP/NHQ will not shut down.  My wife is our Wing Administrator, and got an email about this.  They have contingency plans, and while some services may be temporarily reduced, they will still be available as needed.

Do not panic, all is well...
My understanding is at today's Massachusetts Wing Conference, there was NO one from the national Hq (or national HQ paid staff) to provide the typical briefings and shake a greet with the membership.    It was reported that travel funding/per diem was not available.

Also No Vanguard Uniforms concession either, so apparently sales must be down and wouldn't justify a trip to service the membership.

Anyone else want to confirm this

RM 

PaulR

Wow dude... Have a diazepam 5mg on me.

wuzafuzz

Dictionary.com references many potential meanings for the word "play."  Numerous among them are references to serious use, the word is not limited to childish fun.  Understanding the word has multiple uses is hardly a Ferret Face moment.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/play

Similarly, the word "chill" has a number of different meanings.  Use #23 (at Dictionary.com) is particularly applicable for this conversation.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chill
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Header

PaulR.  Are you now prescribing without a license?  ;D ]
Quote from: PaulR on March 27, 2011, 04:35:00 AM

Wow dude... Have a diazepam 5mg on me.