Main Menu

Is CAP Failing Miserably?

Started by M.S., November 26, 2005, 11:49:24 PM

M.S.

perhaps its only my perspective on things but to me it seems that everyday CAP gets more and more incompetent at performing its missions, further behind the curve, and more entrenched in petty internal politics, arguing over petty uniform issues, and less able to performs its ''missions for america!''

i see a "civil air patrol" where senior members are becoming increasingly aged with absolutely no young persons joining the senior member corps. the cadets we do train rarely want to come back to CAP and be a senior member and the few that do come back get overburdened with heavy loads of work and numerous duty assignments and subsequently we burn them out.  we have less and less ambitious people in the organization, more people willing to ignore the regs when it befits them, and more and more now i see fellow senior members who don't even know how to operate computers.

having been in CAP about a decade, i'm almost ready to give up on the organization.  i find that many of my fellow "officers" rarely wish to contribute their time in any significant way.  a large portion of them simply are in CAP for the perceived "flying benefits" and others im not even sure why they are in CAP.

recruiting numbers are down all across the board.  way down.  and those already in the organization who take on a number of duties (because there's a lack of people to perform them) are becoming burnt out. i see it all the time.  even our former national vice commander is seeing the effects of the overburdening of workload on the few and became burnt out.

i often wonder how much longer this organization will continue to uphold its outer facade of "look at us! we can do all these important things for the country and all of our 60,000 members (that we don't have anymore) are very prepared to serve!"  its smoke and mirrors from what i see around me and it makes me wonder if its the same across the rest of the country too.

Eclipse

Recruiting and attitude begin at home. Forget about the follies at NHQ, Region, Wing, & Group and just concentrate on making your home unit all it can be.

If numbers are down in your unit, its because not enough, or not the right recruiting is being done.

Recruit from AOPA &  Silver Wings, and what you get are well intentioned pilots and seniors who may not be interested in doing CAP "all the way" - especially if the the main recruiting point was "come and fly for free".

Recruit from recently former and current military, ES workers, and successful professionals, and you will see a drastic change in your unit quickly.  Set their expectations properly and let them kknow the will be the catalyst for change and
you will be amazed what can happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

I don't think so.

Like any organization, CAP is suffering from the syndrome of "(insert number of years) of tradition unhampered by progress". Too many are entrenched in the mindset of "that's the way we've done things, and that's it!" Unfortunately I've also seen this mindset in the Masons, of which I am also a member.

I recently rejoined CAP after a 17-year break in membership. I started as a cadet in 1977 and converted to senior member when I got burned out and let my membership lapse in 1988. When I left CAP that time, nothing was done online and all wore Air Force blue; coming back I see newer technologies that were but just a gleam in someone's eye back WIWAC. The Air Force is stricter now on CAP members wearing the uniform. Many mundane paperwork chores can now be done online.

Perhaps it's now time to start looking at change. Change is inevitable, and the older members will find resistance to it. But if we don't change, we'll begin to stagnate and die out. Today's demographics and work ethics keep many people from becoming involved in activities other than work or home.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

thefischNX01

I'm at a college that has no ROTC program, and theres a growing underground movement to get one.  I've offered CAP to a few people here and theres a growing interest. 

Since I'm 19, I cater to the younger generation, and there are many that want to go into the service, but aren't sure how well they'd do.  In my old Squadron up in NJ, there was a strong adherance to Military protocol and discipline (althought I don't find that at my current squadron in MD).  I would try to bring those in who were thinking about the Military and advertise us as a way to "test thier feet" in the military lifestyle.  Here at college, I'm recruiting from the group of people that want an ROTC on campus, as well as the new group of people interested in ES. 

Over the summer, I worked a recruiting stand at a local airshow, and got an unusual mixture of people who were saying "Yeah! Thanks for serving!" and "What are you doing here?".  (I was in BDU's and was constantly being mistook for the Army, again, because people don't know who we are).  The people that came up to us and asked us what we were about sounded impressed, and many a time I heard people saying they wished they had known about this years ago, because they were interested.  How honest were they? I don't know, but the mere remark "I wish I knew about this years ago" shows how well we're known.  Nobody knows who we are. 

The biggest problem is that CAP doesn't have a recruiting campaign as large as the Military branches and even the Coast Guard Auxiliary (yes, they have a recruiting campaign, see a lot of advertising in the local town).  What we need is a comercial that would attract people who want to help their fellow man in crisis.  I made one in my video class last year, but it's since vanished into oblivion.  Even just a few billboards along a major highway in a few major cities might do the trick.  Catering to those who are already pilots is a good thing, but we should also cater to people like me: The 9/11 generation who feel the need and desire to serve but can't for various reasons.  (Okay, so maybe not ALL of us, but a good portion at least).

anyway...just my $0.02 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

PhoenixRisen

One of the things that get's me is that we put more emphasis on the our name just being the Civil Air Patrol. Pretty much everyone has no clue what that is. Lots of people know what the Coast Guard Auxiliary is, because they are the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and call themselves that. We on the other hand, are the Air Force Auxiliary, but(and yes, I know it's our name) we go more with the name Civil Air Patrol. When most people hear "Civil Air Patrol" instead of "Air Force Auxiliary", they think, oh, it's just a little group of people trying to help out by flying their planes and such. Just my .02 cents.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: CALcadet144 on November 27, 2005, 10:28:04 PM
One of the things that get's me is that we put more emphasis on the our name just being the Civil Air Patrol. Pretty much everyone has no clue what that is. Lots of people know what the Coast Guard Auxiliary is, because they are the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and call themselves that. We on the other hand, are the Air Force Auxiliary, but(and yes, I know it's our name) we go more with the name Civil Air Patrol. When most people hear "Civil Air Patrol" instead of "Air Force Auxiliary", they think, oh, it's just a little group of people trying to help out by flying their planes and such. Just my .02 cents.

I remember back in my days WIWAC the CAP seal had "CIVIL AIR PATROL - AUXILIARY UNITED STATES AIR FORCE"; in 1983 the seal changed to the current "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY - CIVIL AIR PATROL". Supposedly it was in an effort to make us stand out as the Air Force's auxiliary, but I don't remember exactly the reason for the change.

"CAP? Civil Air Patrol? Whuzzat?" - And then we proceed to explain to the goggle-eyed masses what we do...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

thefischNX01

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

fyrfitrmedic

The "America's Best Kept Secret" thing stopped being cute long before I joined.

CAP markets itself very poorly. The stock-car sponsorship was just one example of this.

The 'it's up to the folks at the local level' argument is flimsy at best.

Perhaps we should look at the CGAux [just to cite an example] so see what they're doing right?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

thefischNX01

All they really do is have the local unit put up posters at local establishments.  Sounds simple, but if half the units in the nation did it...

you can get recruiting posters off of E-Services, I'm thinking of getting a new batch to put up on campus. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Pylon

Quote from: thefischNX01 on November 27, 2005, 11:38:38 PM
All they really do is have the local unit put up posters at local establishments.  Sounds simple, but if half the units in the nation did it...

you can get recruiting posters off of E-Services, I'm thinking of getting a new batch to put up on campus. 

It is most certainly not as simple as you make it sound.  The answer to all of CAP's problems is not to merely "have the local unit put up posters at local establishments."  That won't even solve the recruiting problem.

Take for example a recent Open House I put together for a local unit struggling to get even 4 to 5 members to attend on a given night.  We plastered the local area with literally several hundred (if not close to a thousand) full-color glossy flyers advertising CAP, the Open House, along with date/time and even a map to the airport.  We also put out full-color large posters with the same information, sent press releases to all the local papers, TV, and radio stations and invited the media.  We had these full-color glossy flyers in all sorts of local places -- stores, restaurants, the airport, EAA, schools, colleges, with teachers, bulletein boards, everywhere. We had members promoting it by word-of-mouth for well over a month.  We even had booths with recruiting material and uniformed cadets and SMs at the local schools during lunch periods trying to promote CAP and the open house.  We were on community calendars, the information did appear in local newspapers, and we had a handful of 5' high double-sided wooden sidewalk signs announcing the Open House throughout the local city on high-traffic corners.

You know what all of that, plus tons of recruiting materials and excellent speakers at the open house got us?  Two cadets!   Two families showed up.  Even current members of the unit started leaving after that.

It has very little to do with the local unit and a lot to do with National Civil Air Patrol failing the small guys in the field and leaving us to fend for ourselves.  People don't know what Civil Air Patrol is on a nation-wide basis.  The good Major above is absolutely right -- the whole "nation's best kept secret" thing is not cute at all; it's downright embarassing.

*shrug*

But we can keep pretending that the local units can change all these problems with a little bit of effort...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

thefischNX01

I'm not saying it would solve all problems, but it is certainly a start.  I agree that on some level NHQ is responsible for the lack of recruiting, but the local units can certainly try to advertise on the local level. 

What we really need is a gigantic advertising campaign like the actual military.  It would involve commercials, billboards, posters and maybe even an actual recruiting center in major cities.  Granted that can become expensive, but we have some halfway decent commercials, we just need to air them.  Back in NJ, Patriot Media had a CAP officer on one time shortly after I joined.  The sad thing is that I knew more about the organization than he did, but still. 

There's a market, I just met a guy not 3 hours ago who was interested and had "No idea an organization like that existed".  I had just met him and he was my roomates father, so I didn't give him a recruiting speech, but I am now even more convinced that there is a very large market. 

Putting posters up is a start, but a commercial would be even better. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

BillB

Years ago, CAP had large 8 panel roadside billboard posters available to units. No more.
Years ago, there were 20x14" Posters available telling about CAP. No More.
Now what we get is a poster of the history of aviation.
A limited number of cadet or senior or Chaplain brochures per year.
No TV spot announcements. No radio tapes.
All of that is now up to the local unit with no assistance from National.
Does National supply any equipment to PAO's in the field?  
So you're right the failure in CAP recruiting starts at the top. It's hard for a Squadron to recruit when there is nothing to offer prospective members, or a method to recruit effectively.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

thefischNX01

Under "recruiting Materials" in e-services, you can order a large quantity of brochures and such every 60 days.  In it they have a tape that contains several information video's that can be used for recruiting, or even an introduction. 

Maybe everyone should ask R. Lee Ermey of "Mail Call" what CAP is and see if he does a segment.  I know the History Channel did something a while back concerning this on "Tactical to Practical", as well as a CNN segment a while ago.  But since the History Channel took T2P off the air, I haven't seen that segment in a while (Short of downloading it off of CAPBlog). 

It's really too bad we couldn't get Harrison Ford and/or Richard Dean Anderson (an Honorary Air Force General) to do a commercial for us... :-[
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Chris Jacobs

We need to get some big names in our ranks.  Harrison Ford is the president of EAA right?  My mom knew that and she dosn't even care about him or air planes.  if we were able to get some big celebrities (well behaved good ones) that would promote us, that would help. 
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

John Bryan

The post above asking why the USCG AUX has no other name.....well it is a matter of history....the U.S. Coast Guard was created in 1790 and the USCG AUX in 1939....there was a Coast Guard to form an AUX around.

CAP was formed in 1941....the US Air Force was created in 1947, and we became the USAF AUX in 1948.....we have history before we became the USAF AUX and thats were the name and the prop and triangle come from.

Also the USCG AUX has only missions in support of the USCG , NO state missions, no local missions, none of the extra things we do under the CAP banner.

JaL5597

Quote from: Pylon on November 27, 2005, 11:49:37 PM
It is most certainly not as simple as you make it sound.  The answer to all of CAP's problems is not to merely "have the local unit put up posters at local establishments."  That won't even solve the recruiting problem.

Take for example a recent Open House I put together for a local unit struggling to get even 4 to 5 members to attend on a given night.  We plastered the local area with literally several hundred (if not close to a thousand) full-color glossy flyers advertising CAP, the Open House, along with date/time and even a map to the airport.  We also put out full-color large posters with the same information, sent press releases to all the local papers, TV, and radio stations and invited the media.  We had these full-color glossy flyers in all sorts of local places -- stores, restaurants, the airport, EAA, schools, colleges, with teachers, bulletein boards, everywhere. We had members promoting it by word-of-mouth for well over a month.  We even had booths with recruiting material and uniformed cadets and SMs at the local schools during lunch periods trying to promote CAP and the open house.  We were on community calendars, the information did appear in local newspapers, and we had a handful of 5' high double-sided wooden sidewalk signs announcing the Open House throughout the local city on high-traffic corners.

You know what all of that, plus tons of recruiting materials and excellent speakers at the open house got us?  Two cadets!   Two families showed up.  Even current members of the unit started leaving after that.

It has very little to do with the local unit and a lot to do with National Civil Air Patrol failing the small guys in the field and leaving us to fend for ourselves.  People don't know what Civil Air Patrol is on a nation-wide basis.  The good Major above is absolutely right -- the whole "nation's best kept secret" thing is not cute at all; it's downright embarassing.

*shrug*

But we can keep pretending that the local units can change all these problems with a little bit of effort...

It must be the area.  One of the squadrons I visited recently had an open house the week before.  They had 16 recruits there the night I visited.

Maybe all this is why there is a Recruitment and Retention Senior Member Specialty Track?

Pylon

Quote from: JaL5597 on November 28, 2005, 03:07:30 AM
Quote from: Pylon on November 27, 2005, 11:49:37 PM

*shrug*

It must be the area.  One of the squadrons I visited recently had an open house the week before.  They had 16 recruits there the night I visited.
Wow -- that's great.  Wish we had that luck up here.

QuoteMaybe all this is why there is a Recruitment and Retention Senior Member Specialty Track?

Perhaps.  But of course, you need a dedicated individual to fill the position.  Sounds like similar to M.S's problem at the start of the thread -- just warm bodies won't do it, especially for something as important as recruiting/retention.  And even then, I'd still say it can't all be done at the unit level. 

Free brochures from NHQ doesn't make an effective recruiting campaign.  Re-read my example above about the Open House.  It's not just all flyers and brochures -- a good deal is going to have to be nation-wide public exposure to CAP and its various missions and what good we could do for the communities that we are in.  If the general public doesn't see this light, then we're forever doomed to scrape a few souls here and there into the organization, with huge-effort open houses, all based on local-squadron efforts. :-\

Chris Jacobs

I think you can recruit all you want but if you don't have a strong program what are you going to offer a new recruit.  When i took over as C/CC i realized this so i focused on making the best program possible.  low and behold a few months latter we would have several new people a week.  my first night in comand there was 8 cadets at the meeting.  within a few months there were 20+ cadets at every meeting.  a while ago we had a record turn out of 35 cadets (the best i can remember).  we are to the point that we are running out of tables and chairs. of course the week that we only had 8 was in the summer and low numbers can be expected but over all our squadron has doubled its numbers and not because of some recruiting drive.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

flyguy06

First of alll, Harrison Ford is "NOT" the president of EAA. Secondly, it must be a regioanl thing, because I had never heard of the Coast Guard Aux unti a CAP memner who is a dual member told me about it.

The biggest problem with vol8uneteers is what was said earlier and its not just in CAP. In my fraternity you have two groups of strong volunteers. College students and retired people. Folks in their mid 20's to mid 40's have careers and jobs and families to support. When I was a cadet, I was heavily involved in CAP. I didi something CAP related at least three days a week and three out of four weekends. But as an adult, I just have the time to devote like I used to although I really wish I could.

I agree that we need more younger Senior Members, but thwey have jobs and families and cant always devote the time unless they are one of the few that own theor own business or have a good deal of cash and dont have to work a 9 to 5. But none the less, I agree, we need more younger SM's to reach and identiufy with the cadets.

Also,  loacl units can market themselves not just by putting up recruiting posters but getting involved in the community. The retired members can go into high schools and talk to groups with an interest in aviation. Talk to JROTC groups. Put up aviation displys in school. Start explorer posts. There are many avenues.

First of all, Servants of all, Transcending all

Eclipse

An EXCELLENT point.

Make the unit productive and >FUN<, and new members will come to you.

Speak well of the organization, look sharp in public, and don't waste your members' time.

Their cups should overflow on Monday morning.

Jim: Hey, wha'dya do this weekend?

Joe: Eh, sat around and watched the game.

John: I got 1billion on Space Munchies for X-Box!

Jane: Well, I pre-soloed in a glider, and learned how to do land navigation.

Jack: And I spent most of Saturday running high-bird comms for a big search and rescue excercise, and then on Sunday I helped find a missing kid!

Ask your current members WHY they are coming to your meetings and continue participation.  If the answers don't sync w/ the CC's plans, or they have no idea, roll up your sleeves and figure out how to get things done.

word of mouth is the best recruiter.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chris Jacobs

OK its not EAA, i was having what i like to call a "brain fart".  Harrison Ford is the "chairman" of the EAA Young Eagles program.  still, the point i was trying to show was that if we were to be in the national spot light, even if only for a few days it would help.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

flyguy06

I was looking at my typing and you guys are right. My typing can suck sometimes. Sorry about that. I only get 30 mins on the internet so Itry and make the most of it. I will try and fine tune a little better

Eclipse

I'll agree that some good press can get the phones ringing, and bring people to
you, but if nothing is happening when they show up, they won't stay long.

The grapvine is a better recruiting tool, as an active member is apt to recruit friends who are of a similiar mindset, which can reduce some of the initial attrition.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I always looked at it as a cathh 22 situation. You wont get members without activities, but then you cant have activities without members.

Its crazy when you plan a big activity and have three people show up. What do you do?

Matt

Well, first you get on the phone and find out where in the hell people are.  Secondly, bow head in shame.  Thirdly, drink a crapload of coffee.  Four: Call in reinforcements and attempt to make calls, even if you have to call other unit CC's of whom you're friends with and such, and ask if they have anyone available.  Fifth, and last but not least, Pray that you can pull off the impossible with next to nothing, because if you can, then you win.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Cam89

Well I think that one we need to stop and think how did we find out about CAP and also what can we do to make CAP seem interesting. You can also have the parents come and join. Put it out as a family oriented activity. Also we could havve a movie about CAP and what we do. Put it out so that people can buy it or rent it. That is what I think will help with recruiting.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

thefischNX01

I'd write the script for that....who'd produce it though? :-\
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Matt

Well, I have a contact w/ a USAF Historian who used to work with the news media at the Pentagon...  Perhaps the AF may help, can only benefit them in the long run, and well, it's not like they don't have the money on paper.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

thefischNX01

Recently the Undersecretary of the Air Force or something gave a press conferance and directly mentioned the Civil Air Patrol as a valuable organization that can be called upon in a crisis.  However, the meeting was about closing the bases so of course that made the news :-\
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Cam89

Well some cadets may have a family friend who could produce the movie. It's all about the connections. Just ask around and you will find the people you need to make the movie.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

MIKE

Quote from: Cam89 on December 02, 2005, 11:25:26 PM
Well some cadets may have a family friend who could produce the movie. It's all about the connections. Just ask around and you will find the people you need to make the movie.

I have a degree in Radio and Television Production and Broadcasting that I'm not using at the moment... Somebody has to provide the gear and talent though.  8)
Mike Johnston

thefischNX01

I did some acting once....

But in all seriousness, are we really considering making a movie?  Who would distribute it?  Where would we film it?  Who would be the actors?   Although it would make a good story, CAP in the Second World War, it's much easier to make and plot an advertising campaign, so I suggest we drop the whole movie thing for right now...
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

SarDragon

What is an ad but a 30 or 60 second movie with a message? The same skills and equipment are needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

thefischNX01

Yeah...but a lot less money, and less talent required.

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Cam89

You don't need talent. We just need to show cadets drilling and learning. That taked no talent at all. It really doesn't have to be perfect. Just be yourself.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

MIKE

Quote from: Cam89 on December 09, 2005, 12:09:06 AM
You don't need talent. We just need to show cadets drilling and learning. That taked no talent at all. It really doesn't have to be perfect. Just be yourself.

In "the industry" the talent are the people appearing on camera... You can be talent for a show and have no talent whatsoever.  ;D
Mike Johnston

thefischNX01

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

flyguy06

Why are so  many higher ups in CAP resigning

Eclipse

Probably fodder for a different thread as I'm sure there are plenty of CAP Sith Lords out there changing the batteries in their light sabers right now to jump in here and cut down our stars, but quickly...

A few had questionable personal relationships which would had been extremely serious, in the active services, but were really only annoying and poor image for us.

As to General Glascow, though there has been some back channel about there being more to it, those of us who have met and worked w/ him (most recently in MS), tend to believe his statements that he simply could not handle the combined load of CAP responsibilities and some personal issues at home with il, aging parents.

He also mentioned that he had only worked 4 days full time in the last forty, which, if you look at what CAP has been up to in last couple months, sounds about right.

We've made some serious errors in judgment in regards to our National leaders, but w/ General Glascow I'm leaving the blinders on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cam89

If anyone is interested in making the short movie I can give you alot of ideas but that would run a couple of pages. So if someone does want to talk you can e-mail me. I think it is in the profile area. Then if you e-mail me I will give you my phone number.That is if you are really serious about the movie idea.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

Maj Ballard

This past summer at Florida Wing Conference, I attended a session with one of the "strategic communications" guys at NHQ. I can't recall his name right now, but he was the big marketing hotshot destined to take the organization into the new century.  ::)

I posed the very questions we're discussing here. I (right in front of then Brig Gen Pineda I might add) said that rather than a bottom up, "let the local units do the work" approach, it would work better if the local units had a national advertising push to get behind. I asked about the feasibility of billboards, national TV spots, etc. I boldly asked whether the $$$$$$$ that was spent on the race car could have better been spent on a campaign such as this.

The response was that basically that would cost too much money, that we could only get a few TV impressions with our budget, and that they want to concentrate in the future on internet marketing, "targeted email" (read: spam) and other "cheap or free" methods of advertising.

:-X
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Xeno

QuoteThe response was that basically that would cost too much money, that we could only get a few TV impressions with our budget, and that they want to concentrate in the future on internet marketing, "targeted email" (read: spam) and other "cheap or free" methods of advertising.

Are they out of their friggin minds? There's nothing wrong with an internet campaign but there are plenty of better ways to do this. Go ahead and check out www.airforce.com and www.af.mil. Do you see any CAP links visible on any of those sites? No, you don't. af.mil has links to the Navy and Marine Corps on its first page... but no CAP in sight.  And if we are such vital link in the nation's defense chain, then why is nothing ever mentioned about us on national defense websites such as www.defenselink.mil, which has an excellent photo gallery that we could submit mission and/or activity photos to. Even a google search for 'air force' hardly renders any CAP results if any at all. The point is, when kids become interested in the Air Force, these are the places they go to. Hell, one would be lucky find anything about us on military.com, even, without knowing what to search for.

Granted, in some places recruitment may be a local problem. In some places the average person just doesn't give a hoot. But when we members, on an internet forum, can come up with more effective and dollar friendly tatics than the "professionals" at NHQ, then things need to change. Big time. This IS national's problem, if the PR guys don't pull their heads from their rears and start listening to us common folk then things will only get worse.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Five-seveN

Good point Lt, but on recruting, we always took it into our ( Danieslon Cadet Squadron) own hands. a few cadets and a few seniors would to to a school during lunch and set up a booth, a few cadets in Bules and a few cadets in BDUs, but what got me to join was the cadet with his 24Hr Gear on (with no dangerous Gear in it tho) with the NVG Gen 3s on (witch are not exaclty alowed, but for those of you that used them, the ELT had a glowing pulse to it when it has been actviated). as far as not anough flyers and material from National, i wouldnt know that, ne ways... so ya =)

Pylon

Quote from: Five-seveN on December 13, 2005, 02:25:58 PM
Good point Lt, but on recruting, we always took it into our ( Danieslon Cadet Squadron) own hands. a few cadets and a few seniors would to to a school during lunch and set up a booth, a few cadets in Bules and a few cadets in BDUs, but what got me to join was the cadet with his 24Hr Gear on (with no dangerous Gear in it tho) with the NVG Gen 3s on (witch are not exaclty alowed, but for those of you that used them, the ELT had a glowing pulse to it when it has been actviated). as far as not anough flyers and material from National, i wouldnt know that, ne ways... so ya =)

I think you're missing the point of the discussion.  We've all done booths at schools during lunch and used the standard cookie-cutter pamphlets and posters from NHQ.  The dicussion is centered around the fact that most believe that recruiting from the squadron level isn't enough, without better support from above. 

More people would be inclined to check out your open house or recruiting booth or come visit a meeting if they had first seen a commercial, or read an article, saw a news clip, or otherwise heard what CAP is and has done.  Exposure on a national basis and better, professional clips available to the media would help immensely.

You can advertise all you want on a local level, until your budget is empty and you're blue in the face, but a large number of people will still go "Civil Air what?" and dismiss you as some local fraternal organization simply because they've never heard of you except for those cheesy flyers.  Re-read my post a page or two back about my experiences with doing as much local advertising as humanly possible and still not getting a response.  National-level support is needed.  They can't keep depending on each individual squadron to uphold CAP's recruiting duties.

iowacap

Quote from: CALcadet144 on November 27, 2005, 10:28:04 PM

You hit that one right on the head. I dont understand that either and everytime I have to go through the whole schpeel about what we do and that we are the USAF AUX why not just consider us that people woudl be able to associate us with the airforce and why we wear military uniform otherwise we could be thought of as wanabees where we do a very important mission that people often take for granted. we do more than flight line at air shows or fly around in a plane and take pictures.

MIKE

I've been hearing a lot about CAP being the United States Air Force Auxiliary only some of the time... We're the USAF Auxiliary when conducting USAF assigned missions... Every other instance we are Civil Air Patrol Corp.

IIRC the USCG Auxiliary has a corporate entity like CAP... but it's emphasis is the complete opposite of CAP because the structure is different.
Mike Johnston

iowacap

Either way it shouldnt be about the name. That is a little thing if we focus on what our name is and not focus on the mission it is pointless so my belief is it really doesnt matter we know waht we do and we do it well everytime we are called apon. That is such a small thing to worry about lets not put member emphesis on this lets put emphesis on what we do and practice to do it well.

shorning

We've been called "Civil Air Patrol" since our inception.  Why give up a piece of our history for some flash-in-the-pan solution?  Changing our name won't solve the underlying problem.  My advice is quit worrying about what we're called and focus on the mission.  It shouldn't matter what we're called if our performance is there.

Personally, I think the units do have a responsibility to get their name out in their communities.  No different than any other organization.

JAFO78

Everyone has made good points. Yes HQ has made mistakes, but you have to realize HQ is like the Pentagon. Too many chiefs.

Your group or wing should help too. Why not have your cadets talk about recruiting at their CAC meetings. Isn't CAC meetings were all squadrons are to talk about all issues.

What about your wing conferences? Why should everything start at the top and run down stream?
Ideas and changes should start at the bottom and work there way up to the top.  Your Squadron commander should be bring up problems and  ideas to Group and or Wing.

Wing should talk to Regional staff, who in turn should bring it to National.  It think it is called chain of command. Squadron commanders should talk to each other. Plan your squadron activities and invite other squadrons. Make it fun, but use the other squadrons too.
JAFO

flyguy06

Your Squadron should be a strong force in your community. Youdont need Wing or National  to d that. Imet with our county Airport Manager myself. I met with our county Fire Chief myself. I didnt make any deals withthem cause I cannot speak on behalf of the coorportation legally. But I did let them know who we were and that we were inthe community and what we do. I asked if they could come out and speak to the cadets sometimes and they agreed to whenever we need them to. My goal is for them to get to know the good positive things we do and possibly get some space on the airport grounds to hold our meetings.

Eagle400

I don't think CAP is failing miserably.  I think general Pineda is failing miserably.  It's time for a new National Commander.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: 12211985 on July 07, 2007, 09:08:30 PM
I don't think CAP is failing miserably.  I think general Pineda is failing miserably.  It's time for a new National Commander.   

It's time you joined CAP again...you claim you neither "have the time nor the money" for thsi, yet you post here on an almost 24 hour basis.  Save a dollar a day from your loose change...join the NATONAL PATRON's squadron for $35, find some nearby unit that needs your service to help cadets and transfer there.  You will be instantly active!!!  $35 for the first year is alright and do-able.

Oops...but the NATONAL PATRON SQUADRON is likely one of HIS ideas and so you can't.

Why don't you "put up or shut up?"  There are ways to get in and take part without being a putz!  And believe me I think most will agree that your spamming of the forum with ANTI-PINEDA drivel is doing just that.

I can tolerate members critical of CAP leadership...but from the outside you are a toad and this falls in the realm of "none of your bloody business."

Grow up...get in...or get out of here.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Okay, I can't believe we're on page 3 and nobody has mentioned CAP's last national recruiting brainstorm --- the infamous $5 million NASCAR car. 

Now, CAP national should be spending money advertising in national pilot magazines and those free regional pilot publications you always see sitting around FBOs. 

Good local units will get enough recruits for their programs.  Poor units will not get recruits.  Cadet recruitment is based primarily on word of mouth from existing cadets. If your cadets are happy with the program, they will tell their friends.  If they aren't they'll complain to their friends.  Now, if you have local schools without any CAP cadets you do need to target them for recruiting booths, etc. 

At the senior level I personally haven't come up with an effective strategy at the local level.  Brochures at local airports, talks at FAA safety meetings, airshows, decent public affairs coverage etc. and none seem to really bring in more than a trickle of people.   

However, I have found that if you squadron has a good local training program and has interesting meetings you can get pretty good join-ups and retention from those few people who find out about CAP somehow and visit the meeting.

Regarding CG Aux, they do have national "membership drives" but they don't really translate to much other than an announcement that a membership drive is on.  They don't really have anywhere near the recruiting materials that CAP does.  However, the CG recruiting packets do include mentions of the CG Aux.  Not sure how much they help though.

Regarding CAP on the AF web page -- it is there right on the main page - lower right side.  However, it was missing for a long while until there was discussion about it on the public affairs discussion list and somebody who had a buddy got it done. 

MIKE

Since Smitty bumped this OLD thread to stir the pot... Lock.  

Also... engaging him when he does this will not help matters.
Mike Johnston