Are we or are we not the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Started by CAP_truth, November 08, 2007, 05:45:09 PM

CAP_truth

I have observed in recent threads that we are dropping the US from US Civil Air Patrol. In one thread from the NEC a regional commander stated that National Legal says in it not approperate for us to use U. S. Air Force Auxiliary in the signature of correspondences. Are we the U. S. Air Force Auxiliary or not. Congress and public law says we are, Our Constitution says we are. Who says we are not.  Did we gets TP(ed) royal by he who will remain nameless.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

jeders

We have not been the full-time AFAux for some time now, before he who shall not be named. As far as dropping the U.S. from U.S. CAP, it never should've been put on there to begin with so that's just fixing a problem. I personally would like to see us move towards a closer relationship with the Air Force, but who knows when that will happen. And even if it does, it will likely last for only a short time as our relationship with the Air Force seems to be cyclic.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

shorning

No, we are the US Air Force auxiliary.  We're only the US Air Force Auxiliary when performing AFAM.  Perhaps you missed the memo?  Happened in 2000 and been discussed here several times.

CAP_truth

Yes moving closer to the Air Force should be our major goal, But first we need to become more professional in how we conduct our activities.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

JohnKachenmeister

And, I don't think we were EVER authorized to put "USAF Aux." in our signature blocks.  It has been "CAP" since I was a cadet.

And I was DRO at the Last Supper!
Another former CAP officer

Pylon

Quote from: USCAP_truth on November 08, 2007, 05:45:09 PM
Congress and public law says we are, Our Constitution says we are. Who says we are not.

Congress and public law do not say that we are the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary as a "blanket" title for our organization.  Federal law says our name is "Civil Air Patrol."   Civil Air Patrol acts as the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary only when on an Air Force Assigned Mission (AFAM).  This was changed in the USC Titles which apply to us in 2000 and has nothing to do with our former National Commander.

Our organization is "Civil Air Patrol".  Our legal and incorporated name is "Civil Air Patrol, Inc."  We are not "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" nor are we even "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" all the time. 

The memo was trying to stem the tide of people who put things like "John Doe, Major, USAF Aux." in their signature lines or people who put "USAF Aux" or "USAFA" on their leather flight badges, etc.   The memo was clarifying that those practices are wrong.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cecil DP

We're the United States Air Force Auxiliary when it's convenient to the Air Force! It's convenient to the Air Force when we work for free and save them ton's of money. If there is a choice of spending $10,000 to send a helicopter and crew to search for a missing aircraft (which is an Air Force mission) or $30/hr for a CAP aircraft. We're the Air Force Auxiliary. If we need anything-we're the Civil Air Patrol, which the Air Force is authorized to support-if it doesn't inconvenience them or cost money.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

alamrcn

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 08, 2007, 08:13:16 PM
If there is a choice of spending $10,000 to send a helicopter and crew to search for a missing aircraft (which is an Air Force mission) or $30/hr for a CAP aircraft.

Around here it seems to be the "knee jerk" reaction to bring in National Guard members and resources... including several helicopters - usually UH-60s - on a search. This isn't the ES section, so I won't go into that any further.

Why does the USAF continue to help us with non-AFAM things like cadet encampments on a base, orientation rides, and various uniform programs? If they don't have to, why should they bother? We certainly want to be associated with the USAF, and USAF active duty and reservists that I meat are generally impressed with our people and program, and enjoy working along side us when the opportunity arises.

I guess I'm not really making a point yet, but I'm trying to ask WHO exactly is the hold up in strengthening and expanding our relationship with our (supposedly) parent organization?

Remember the "Big Threat" over a decade ago to move CAP into the Dept of Transportation? It was more than just Gov McCaine's idea. Perhaps we are on the track to become even more of a private, corprate entity like the American Red Cross or Salvation Army. If that happened, I'm afraid I'd have to let my membership lapse...

-Ace
Minnesota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

Quotebut I'm trying to ask WHO exactly is the hold up in strengthening and expanding our relationship with who is/was our parent organization?

I don't think anyone is the hold up, it is just neither the AF or CAP leadership beleives that this is a priority issue.  Sure, the AF will do its oversight through CAP-USAF and occassionally some big AF guy will visit a CAP unit and say how great we are, but its not as if there is an active program to get CAP more involved in day-to-day AF activities and the AF is too busy worrying about other priorities to do it themselves. 

alamrcn

The first FUBAR was getting rid of the CAP-RAP and Liaison programs.

And who has heard mention of that one program - I even forget the name of it - where CAP officers could be assigned various administrative duties on a base, like Chaplian or Administration? You know, it was the "catchy term" used when we started wearing the U.S. cut-outs on the service coat... dang, brain fart.

This disfunctional relationship we seem to be heading into fast will be a great place for Gen Courter to shine, should she be given the time and opportunity to do so!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

Uh CAP-RAP and liasion programs are still alive and kicking.  Only difference is the downsizing (elimination of the CAP-USAF NCO slot) and the switch to making the state director a civilian position. 

Pylon

Quote from: alamrcn on November 09, 2007, 04:38:42 PM
And who has heard mention of that one program - I even forget the name of it - where CAP officers could be assigned various administrative duties on a base, like Chaplian or Administration? You know, it was the "catchy term" used when we started wearing the U.S. cut-outs on the service coat... dang, brain fart.

This disfunctional relationship we seem to be heading into fast will be a great place for Gen Courter to shine, should she be given the time and opportunity to do so!

-Ace

Augmentation.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

Other than our uniforms, where do we see a separation from the AF.  In the last 10 years, the number of things that the AF supports/pays for has only increased.

They now pay for:

1) Proficiency training
2) Cadet Uniforms
3) Cadet Manuals (both enlisted and officer)
4) O-Flights
5) State-Directors
6) Planes + maintenance
7) Vans + maintenance
8) CAP-RAP

etc, etc, etc.  10 years ago, not all of those things were on their list.  Seems to me that "big blue" is more supportive than it has ever been. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 09, 2007, 06:11:13 PM

1) Proficiency training
2) Cadet Uniforms
3) Cadet Manuals (both enlisted and officer)
5) State-Directors
6) Plane maintenance
7) Van maintenance

When I joined we didn't have the FCUP, cadet membership dues were more the first year to pay for the books.  When you earned your mitchell you had to shell out $30 for new books (Phase III & IV). 

The last few years we've obtained full-time paid assistants for every wing. 

Plane maintenance programs have been modified greatly over the last 10 years.  Vans also now have a maintenance program that is partially funded by the AF (major maintenance).

Proficiency flights can now be an AFAM from the training money we now recieve...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

CAP corporate pays for the assistants not the AF.   Perhaps the AF is subsidizing that in particular, but its hard to say.   The "state directors" are CAP-USAF employees and have been for a very long time. 

jimmydeanno

The state directors are paid by CAPNHQ so their checks don't say "DFAS...." but the funding comes from the AF's allotment to CAP each year...  before they added that amount into the budget they gave us we didn't have them.  Some wings got state appropriations to pay for one prior to AF funding...

RiverAux

State Directors are CAP-USAF employees, not employees of the Civil Air Patrol.  You are confusing the paid wing administrators positions, which are CAP corporate employees (which are new in many wings) with the AF employee.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on November 09, 2007, 08:02:50 PM
State Directors are CAP-USAF employees, not employees of the Civil Air Patrol.  You are confusing the paid wing administrators positions, which are CAP corporate employees (which are new in many wings) with the AF employee.

Yes, that is what I meant.  Wing Administrators, budget graciously provided by USAF.

RplnXbrnt

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 08, 2007, 08:13:16 PM
We're the United States Air Force Auxiliary when it's convenient to the Air Force! It's convenient to the Air Force when we work for free and save them ton's of money. If there is a choice of spending $10,000 to send a helicopter and crew to search for a missing aircraft (which is an Air Force mission) or $30/hr for a CAP aircraft. We're the Air Force Auxiliary. If we need anything-we're the Civil Air Patrol, which the Air Force is authorized to support-if it doesn't inconvenience them or cost money.

In large part, we're called a particular name for insurance purposes.

On AFAM, we're the USAFX, and are covered under one insurance plan. Under non-AFAM, but still "official" missions, we're covered under a different plan, and are operating as CAP, rather than USAFX.

Level I stuff, folks.
1st Lt Colin Carmello, CAP
Leadership, Asst AE & ES Training Officer, B-CC Composite Squadron
CP Development Officer, Group I
Eaker #1705