Main Menu

Necro help desk ticket?

Started by SunDog, June 07, 2016, 04:26:10 AM

SunDog

I was a CAP member until a couple years ago, and used to post here regularly; noticed an email from CAP, when emptying my spam folder, closing a help desk ticket from 2013! . O.K., weird enough, but clicking on the link connected me to the web site, with rights to search, change contact info., etc.  I dropped membership two years back, so if you know a POC at CAP IT, maybe let them know there is a hole/exposure there?

Eclipse

The KB / Help Desk system does not require a login to eServices and is open to the general public,
the accounts created there have unique IDs separate from your eServices login and membership status.

There was "ISP Maintenance" on the 4th, maybe someone was sweeping out the dusty corners.

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

I learned at RSC a couple of weeks ago from Col. Bishop that all of those necro-tickets got swept up and categorized so that some can be distributed to certain volunteer leaders to work through in stages. The rest have been simply closed, whether acted on or not. It's prep for the new paid CIO to come in and get a handle on IT generally within CAP, which has grown more or less like Topsy without a good weeding. Even though it's a long road ahead, I was very encouraged that the problem has been recognized and that they're bringing in folks to address it in a thorough and systematic way.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

SunDog

Thanks, and I hope they get their IT act together for you eventually. Was able to modify enough info to obscure my PII. Until then, you might want to be circumspect about info you enter in the help desk app, and omit stuff that is personally identifying.  As I said, I got a link in an email. . .not a good practice, but given the state of the apps I recall, not a shocker, either. 

arBar

same thing happened to me.  Had a question last year and even though it was assigned to someone to answer I never got one.  I had forgotten about it until recently when I got an email saying that the ticket had been closed.  Glad to hear they are working on fixing this issue.

Fubar

Quote from: arBar on June 08, 2016, 10:15:19 PM
same thing happened to me.  Had a question last year and even though it was assigned to someone to answer I never got one.  I had forgotten about it until recently when I got an email saying that the ticket had been closed.  Glad to hear they are working on fixing this issue.

Except they're not fixing issues. They are just closing the tickets without resolving the issue the ticket was created for.

ProdigalJim

Correct. They're wiping the slate clean and starting over.

What they told us at RSC is that the normal sequence of SME to business analyst to writing code (and I may have this wrong...I'm not an IT guy) in many cases and over many years got skipped, resulting in a hodgepodge of code, some of which was not very good. The new CIO is a process-oriented person and apparently the first order of business is to inject some rigor into the requirements process. It's a long road, but they left us hopeful that they're developing real long-term answers.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Holding Pattern

Quote from: ProdigalJim on June 14, 2016, 01:07:38 AM
Correct. They're wiping the slate clean and starting over.

What they told us at RSC is that the normal sequence of SME to business analyst to writing code (and I may have this wrong...I'm not an IT guy) in many cases and over many years got skipped, resulting in a hodgepodge of code, some of which was not very good. The new CIO is a process-oriented person and apparently the first order of business is to inject some rigor into the requirements process. It's a long road, but they left us hopeful that they're developing real long-term answers.

Wait, we have an actual CIO now?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2016, 01:38:51 AMWhile he's digging around in there...

I believe I read he's a she.