Main Menu

Point of Order

Started by flyguy06, March 29, 2007, 08:49:36 PM

Al Sayre

Are you suprised with our school systems at the bottom of the list?  We're lucky that they let us wear shoes...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SAR-EMT1

NASCAR is southern for NICE CAR :P
Ive always compared adults watching Nascar to a puppy or kitten watching clothes spin in a dryer what has a glass door.  >:D
*ducks*
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

PhotogPilot

Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2007, 04:07:40 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on March 30, 2007, 04:06:11 AM
Yankee!  Yankee!  I'll have you know that I was born in Florida.  About as far south of the Mason Dixon line as you can get and still stay in the country. Oh and BTW,  our state capitol was never captured.   ;D

Florida... if we had half a brain, we would give it back to Spain...    ;) >:D :angel:

(I keed, I keed...)

What would we do without heaven's waiting room?

BillB

Florida ends at I-4. Anything south of I-4 is called North Cuba. So in a sense we have given part of Florida back to Spain.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davedove

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on March 30, 2007, 06:35:40 AM
I will admit to having used "Sirs" many times.

As far as the 'Yous guys," you sound so coarse.. :D  Don't you know is "y'all"  Y'all is sometimes singular, sometimes plural, and occasionally, like when there's a whole room full of ya, like at National Board general assembly, it's "all y'all." Hey, Alabama, weigh in on this one, wontcha??

;D

That's right, Y'all is appropriate.  Yous guys sounds like more of a Jersey thing. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Monty

Quote from: SarDragon on March 30, 2007, 07:19:31 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on March 30, 2007, 06:55:05 AM
In the indicative, it is:

me                we (or us'uns),
ya'll               all ya'll
him/her/it     them all (them'uns and those'uns are also acceptable)  ...

Cain't you Dixiecrats get it right? It's y'all, with the apostrophe replacing the missing letters (ou). Even the CT spell checker got it right (surprisingly!).

Now I gotta give 'ole boy some credit, on account that Mississippi dialect is slightly different than Alabama's, on East.

I seem to hear them put a slight pause in between "ya" for "you" and of course, the "all" part.....so for a Mississippian, I'd buy "ya'll."  However, on our side of the tracks, we put no pause in there 'tall, so it becomes "y'all" for us.

Hell, both are officially wrong, but colloquially, "ya'all" and "y'all" is a sign of who's from where.

Dang, ain't all *this* a thread drift!   ;D

But Al's dead-consistent on the 'thee' is to 'y'all' as 'thou' is to 'all y'all' bit.....unless one is a native of Appalachia, in which case 'your' is to 'yerrin' as to 'mine'  is to 'myin.'  'All y'all' changes to 'you'uns,' too.

And you thought those of us from God's Country didn't have anything remotely technical about us.....

Never get a linguist started on language matters....   ;D

Sigh.......now back to California where even the guys with education use the word 'like' about every two words in a sentence.

(And yes, there IS a distinctive CA accent....if one knows what to look for.)

arajca

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 01:17:36 PM
Drift. Drift! This ain't no drift. It's a hard turn to the obscure!  :)

QuoteSigh.......now back to California where even the guys with education use the word 'like' about every two words in a sentence.

Dang left coasters. Can't even mutilate the English language properly. ;D

Monty

Quote from: arajca on March 30, 2007, 01:21:07 PM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 01:17:36 PM
Drift. Drift! This ain't no drift. It's a hard turn to the obscure!  :)

QuoteSigh.......now back to California where even the guys with education use the word 'like' about every two words in a sentence.

Dang left coasters. Can't even mutilate the English language properly. ;D

But doesn't it beat all that negative stuff over in *another* thread?  (hint, hint.)

The tone over here in this thread - drift or no drift - is much kinder and gentler....or so I think.   ;)

LtCol White

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 30, 2007, 08:52:56 AM
Ive always compared adults watching Nascar to a puppy or kitten watching clothes spin in a dryer what has a glass door.  >:D
*ducks*

HAHAHAHA.....good one!!!! ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Monty

*ducks*

Silly Yankees....  Everybody from where I'm from knows that NASCAR ain't about the race......it's about a few of the "sorts" that sit in the stands.

(And because this thread can be read by cadets, I won't clarify any further.)

LtCol White

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 01:41:35 PM
*ducks*

Silly Yankees....  Everybody from where I'm from knows that NASCAR ain't about the race......it's about a few of the "sorts" that sit in the stands.

Hey, I'm no yankee !!
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Monty

Quote from: LtCol White on March 30, 2007, 02:03:46 PM
*ducks*

Hey, I'm no yankee !!

Dude, you're the second guy to make that mistake!  I even quoted "SAR-EMT1" (see my post?), not you.  :)

That's it....MS and now, LA have bumped AL up to #48 of 50 on the education scale!

Y'all are makin' my day!  :D  LOL  (The further West we go, the worse its getting.)

Alright TX, you're up!   :D

-Monty

LtCol White

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 02:50:18 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 30, 2007, 02:03:46 PM
*ducks*

Hey, I'm no yankee !!

Dude, you're the second guy to make that mistake!  I even quoted "SAR-EMT1" (see my post?), not you.  :)

That's it....MS and now, LA have bumped AL up to #48 of 50 on the education scale!

Y'all are makin' my day!  :D  LOL  (The further West we go, the worse its getting.)

Alright TX, you're up!   :D

-Monty

Know why all the trees in MS lean to the east??? ..........Alabama sux

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Monty

Quote from: LtCol White on March 30, 2007, 03:00:27 PM

Know why all the trees in MS lean to the east??? ..........Alabama sux

>:D

Lean to the East?  "Hey, I'm no Yankee!"

:P

:D

RogueLeader

I resent your implication of getting worse in the west. >:D ;D :D You're just mad cuz eye have know regenal akkscent.
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Psicorp

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on March 30, 2007, 06:35:40 AM
I will admit to having used "Sirs" many times.

As far as the 'Yous guys," you sound so coarse.. :D  Don't you know is "y'all"  Y'all is sometimes singular, sometimes plural, and occasionally, like when there's a whole room full of ya, like at National Board general assembly, it's "all y'all." Hey, Alabama, weigh in on this one, wontcha??

;D

Lessons in Southern Grammar:

"Y'all" is singular
"All Y'all" is plural

"Y'all's" is singular possessive
"All Y'all's" is plural possessive

I heard a joke in a bar one night while in Augusta, GA:  "There's only one good thing about Alabama...it makes a nice big boundry between Mississippi and Georgia."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

ZigZag911

Quote from: davedove on March 30, 2007, 11:55:02 AM
That's right, Y'all is appropriate.  Yous guys sounds like more of a Jersey thing. ;D

Wha'cha tawkin' aboud?  Youse (please note silent 'e') gott uh prblum wid us herein Joisey????

Ah, fuggedaboudid, I'm gonna have a cupuv cawfee now!

LTC_Gadget

*ducks*

Additional thread drift flag "ON" -
Which brings me to question, why  does anyone listen to a full NASCAR race on the radio??
'Splain that one, if you care to, but we probably ought to move that to a separate thread, too..

-Thread drift flag "OFF" <ducking for opposite side of same foxhole as SAR-EMT1>

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

arajca

Dude, it's the engines.

Monty

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on March 30, 2007, 07:14:42 PM

Additional thread drift flag "ON" -
Which brings me to question, why  does anyone listen to a full NASCAR race on the radio??
'Splain that one, if you care to, but we probably ought to move that to a separate thread, too..

-Thread drift flag "OFF" <ducking for opposite side of same foxhole as SAR-EMT1>

V/R,

Because it's a far better than the unmentionable alternative y'all do in Oklahoma!  :D

(Of course this is all in fun.....beautiful country to be seen in OK....)