Main Menu

Point of Order

Started by flyguy06, March 29, 2007, 08:49:36 PM

flyguy06

Iwanted to make a point of order on a post in the "CAWG CC fired" Thread, but it was locked. I make this correction to my cadwets all the time. Its not that big of a deal. Certainly not worht starting a new thread over but I didnt have achoice.

Thee is no such word as "Sirs" When addressing more than one senior officer, the correct phrase is "Gentlemen" or "Ladies" or "Laies and Gentlemen" Again, not worth a thread or discussion. Just pointingit out

Eclipse

Whin kerecting gramer, it wood bee ay gud ida to yous spel check....   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Psicorp

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 29, 2007, 08:49:36 PM
Iwanted to make a point of order on a post in the "CAWG CC fired" Thread, but it was locked. I make this correction to my cadwets all the time. Its not that big of a deal. Certainly not worht starting a new thread over but I didnt have achoice.

Thee is no such word as "Sirs" When addressing more than one senior officer, the correct phrase is "Gentlemen" or "Ladies" or "Laies and Gentlemen" Again, not worth a thread or discussion. Just pointingit out

I use "sirs" quite often.  Its from having lived in Alabama...many years ago, former Governor Seagleman decided to introduce a piece of legislation to the State Congress and it passed.  It became law that students must refer to their teachers as "Sir" and "Ma'am".   It was further stretched to include all adults.   

Granted Alabama was a bit wierd to begin with and the law really didn't have any teeth (each scholastic institution was allowed to decide what the violation would entail).   But to keep within the letter of the law, how else is one supposed to address two or more male adults?   At least "Sirs" sounds better than "Ma'ams".  ;D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2007, 02:46:32 AM

'tain't polite to correct yer Grammer, yer s'posed to respect yer elders!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

LtCol White

Quote from: Psicorp on March 30, 2007, 02:49:59 AM

I use "sirs" quite often.  Its from having lived in Alabama...many years ago, former Governor Seagleman decided to introduce a piece of legislation to the State Congress and it passed.  It became law that students must refer to their teachers as "Sir" and "Ma'am".   It was further stretched to include all adults.   

Granted Alabama was a bit wierd to begin with and the law really didn't have any teeth (each scholastic institution was allowed to decide what the violation would entail).   But to keep within the letter of the law, how else is one supposed to address two or more male adults?   At least "Sirs" sounds better than "Ma'ams".  ;D

Have the people of Alabama never heard the words "Ladies and Gentlemen"???
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Psicorp

Quote from: LtCol White on March 30, 2007, 03:01:00 AM

Yes they have, but only if they are before the words, "Start your engines". 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol White

Quote from: Psicorp on March 30, 2007, 03:08:08 AM

Yes they have, but only if they are before the words, "Start your engines". 

Hahaha...touche mon ami
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 30, 2007, 02:56:02 AM

I'd cy'fer somethin' fearce like dat ifin' I'd git 'way wid it.  :-\

Anyway, I suppose they locked that thread for a reason.  Hence, we descend into this butchering of the English language instead of continue the topic.  Now that's a point of order  8)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Monty

That's your second warning about crackin' on Alabama, bub!   >:D

;D

-Monty

Monty

Aw Al, he can't help himself....he's a Yankee.  You know how *they* are.   ;D

(Ease up, folks....some of my best friends are Yanks...just havin' fun.)

Al Sayre

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 03:53:42 AM

Yankee!  Yankee!  I'll have you know that I was born in Florida.  About as far south of the Mason Dixon line as you can get and still stay in the country. Oh and BTW,  our state capitol was never captured.   ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Psicorp

Love your Portal Person, sir.  It needs a caption though, perhaps "Come on over to the Dark Side, boy...it'll be a hoot!"   :P
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Pylon

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 30, 2007, 04:06:11 AM
Yankee!  Yankee!  I'll have you know that I was born in Florida.  About as far south of the Mason Dixon line as you can get and still stay in the country. Oh and BTW,  our state capitol was never captured.   ;D

Florida... if we had half a brain, we would give it back to Spain...    ;) >:D :angel:

(I keed, I keed...)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2007, 04:07:40 AM

Florida... if we had half a brain, we would give it back to Spain...    ;) >:D :angel:

(I keed, I keed...)

The REPUBLIC of TEXAS...n'uff said!!!

Unless you have one of these...

And been thrown out of, rebelled against (and one particular one twice!!!)  or accepted into all of these (And, again, one particular one twice)...

as I said...  N'uff said...

Just kidding...Every State has its own rich history.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Monty

Can't take you Mississippi types anywhere!  I was talking about Bob.....he's in the "Land of Lincoln," thinks ketchup is spicy....so you gotta just look at him and say, "aw....bless his heart."

Brother, thanks again for making us Alabama types look good!  (Y'all keep us #49 of 50 in the education stats!)  (J/K, you know I luv ya like a bro!)

;D

PS - My birth certificate says "FLORIDA" also.  I was born in that part of FL that Alabama wouldn't buy.....Escambia County.  "Oh, that place won't amount to anything."

Stupid Alabamians...  Oh, wait a minute..........

flyerthom

Granted Alabama was a bit wierd to begin with and the law really didn't have any teeth (each scholastic institution was allowed to decide what the violation would entail).   But to keep within the letter of the law, how else is one supposed to address two or more male adults?    ;D

"Hey! youse guys!"
TC

LTC_Gadget

I will admit to having used "Sirs" many times.

As far as the 'Yous guys," you sound so coarse.. :D  Don't you know is "y'all"  Y'all is sometimes singular, sometimes plural, and occasionally, like when there's a whole room full of ya, like at National Board general assembly, it's "all y'all." Hey, Alabama, weigh in on this one, wontcha??

;D
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Al Sayre

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 30, 2007, 05:23:31 AM

Can't take you Mississippi types anywhere!  I was talking about Bob.....he's in the "Land of Lincoln," thinks ketchup is spicy....so you gotta just look at him and say, "aw....bless his heart."

Brother, thanks again for making us Alabama types look good!  (Y'all keep us #49 of 50 in the education stats!)  (J/K, you know I luv ya like a bro!)

;D

PS - My birth certificate says "FLORIDA" also.  I was born in that part of FL that Alabama wouldn't buy.....Escambia County.  "Oh, that place won't amount to anything."

Stupid Alabamians...  Oh, wait a minute..........

D'oh! My bad, I apologize, I was reading fast between meetings and thought you called me a yankee (Bless all their hearts)! This night shift stuff is starting to get to me, hopefully less than a week to go until we get back to normal.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Al Sayre

In the indicative, it is:

me                we (or us'uns),
ya'll               all ya'll
him/her/it     them all (them'uns and those'uns are also acceptable)  ...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 30, 2007, 06:55:05 AM
In the indicative, it is:

me                we (or us'uns),
ya'll               all ya'll
him/her/it     them all (them'uns and those'uns are also acceptable)  ...

Cain't you Dixiecrats get it right? It's y'all, with the apostrophe replacing the missing letters (ou). Even the CT spell checker got it right (surprisingly!).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret