New edition of 'Journey of Flight'?

Started by SuperCAP, September 22, 2013, 12:06:48 AM

SuperCAP

Been thinking about earning my Yeager award and id like to get the Aerospace textbook (I know it's online but I'd like a physical copy).  Someone mentioned that the 3rd edition may be coming out in a few months so I might want to wait to buy it.  Anybody know any info on this, if there is in fact a new edition and when it'll be out?  Thanks

MacGruff

Don't know if there is a new edition in the works or not, but I ordered a paper copy from Vanguard middle of this week. I've not had an acknowledgement of it from them yet. I would have thought they would have stock/stacks of them and would ship them out as soon as the order was processed. So, maybe the delay is because of the new edition?

:-\

Eclipse

Honestly?  In the time it took to write this message or order the book, you'd be half done
with the test.

If you have a decent knowledge of history and some general knowledge of aviation, you
can probably knock it cold.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

I actually have a "decent knowledge of history and some general knowledge of aviation" but my purpose in getting the book is to see what else is in there. I'm quite sure that I can knock out the test in no time. But, for me, part of the fun is the journey and I have no problem with sitting down and reading the book to reacquaint myself with some stuff. Hey! Maybe I'll learn something new??

I just completed the Officer Basic Course. I could have just taken the tests and done all 40 modules in one sitting. I specifically chose not to do so.

To each their own. If you want to have that check in the box in a hurry, go for it. I prefer to do things differently.

MSG Mac

If a new edition has been published, it will be on the NHQ Aerospace page. If a new edition is in the works, contact  AE to find out when it will be published and the new tests will be on line.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2013, 03:23:36 PM
Honestly?  In the time it took to write this message or order the book, you'd be half done
with the test.

If you have a decent knowledge of history and some general knowledge of aviation, you
can probably knock it cold.

That might be true for those are are former cadets, pilots or aviation buffs. I came into CAP without any of the former, so I needed that textbook.

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on September 22, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
I actually have a "decent knowledge of history and some general knowledge of aviation" but my purpose in getting the book is to see what else is in there. I'm quite sure that I can knock out the test in no time. But, for me, part of the fun is the journey and I have no problem with sitting down and reading the book to reacquaint myself with some stuff. Hey! Maybe I'll learn something new??

I just completed the Officer Basic Course. I could have just taken the tests and done all 40 modules in one sitting. I specifically chose not to do so.

To each their own. If you want to have that check in the box in a hurry, go for it. I prefer to do things differently.

At one time the Yeager had some mystique and at a minimum was considered a team-builder as units would work together
over a period of time and then then take the test together.  It's always been "scored to 100%", but when they made it
online, open book, that took the bud off the rose for a lot of people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2013, 03:40:22 PM
Quote from: MacGruff on September 22, 2013, 07:29:59 PM

At one time the Yeager had some mystique and at a minimum was considered a team-builder as units would work together
over a period of time and then then take the test together.  It's always been "scored to 100%", but when they made it
online, open book, that took the bud off the rose for a lot of people.

Right?

I took my Yeager on 28JUL10, right after talking to the unit commander about rolling over to the SM side, and him telling me the stuff I'd need to get done. Not an hour after the conversation, I was done with the test. I became a SM on 17AUG10. :)

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2013, 03:40:22 PM
At one time the Yeager had some mystique and at a minimum was considered a team-builder as units would work together over a period of time and then then take the test together.  It's always been "scored to 100%", but when they made it online, open book, that took the bud off the rose for a lot of people.

Agreed. I'm glad to see that with L1 being a class again, maybe the tide is turning on CBTs. THere are some things that are fine as online courses & tests, but not everything works best that way.

I was discussing the Yeager with a new and very eager new SM recently and mentioned the old Journey of Flight book. A young FO who just turned SM commented that it was a breeze and that studying the book was a waste. I tried to explain about the idea behind the Yeager is not to quickly burn through an online test, but to study and really learn the subject. I don't think he got it.

Critical AOA

Online, open book?  Probably online, open Google for many.   Someone with no knowledge at all of aerospace could pass it that way.  But hey, wear the ribbon proudly.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 23, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
Online, open book?  Probably online, open Google for many.   Someone with no knowledge at all of aerospace could pass it that way.  But hey, wear the ribbon proudly.
Yep.

Also, I would imagine the "old" Yeager book would pretty much be as god as the "new" one - dates are sates, and Bernouli hasn't been sent to the principle's
office for another conference lately, etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

I'm with you MacGruff, I'm looking at getting the paper version as well for the Yeager...for the knowledge, more than just to pass the test.  I picked up an older book "extra" that was around this weekend called "AEROSPACE: The Science of Flight".  It's not associated with any test that I know of, I just want the knowledge.  I'm not up on aviation and I would like to begin learning.  Part of my own Aerospace Education, so to speak.   ;)
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown