The National Commander Reads This Forum

Started by lordmonar, August 19, 2013, 09:26:03 PM

lordmonar

Okay....a split from another thread.

If the Commander reads this site everyday (as rumor has it) let's make it easy for him to zero in on suggestions and comments.

So....I propose either a new Area (like the Lobby) that is "for the commander's consideration" or some such.

Anyone can post a new topic...but no one is to respond to it.

Make it place for us to ask questions or make suggestions that may be of interest to the national commander.

NOTE......I don't suggest it be a place to make accusations or anything that should be brought up to the chain of command/IG/etc.

So no "My commander yelled at me" or "I'm not getting promoted again" topics.  but a place to ask questions.....such as "why do we require two wing (or higher) conferences for Level III"? or make suggestions  "I suggest we eliminate the requirement to attend conferences".

What are your thoughts?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Isn't that what the "Ask the commander" link on eServices is for? I mean, sure, it's only used (or was) for ABU questions, but I personally never felt comfortable asking anything up the chain...that high.

jeders

I have to agree that that sounds like what the Ask the Commander button in eServices was meant for. Also, I think that the value that higher ups get from reading CAPTalk is the discussion, even if it is 10 pages of what color thread are we going to have on our name tapes.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on August 19, 2013, 09:37:40 PM
I have to agree that that sounds like what the Ask the Commander button in eServices was meant for. Also, I think that the value that higher ups get from reading CAPTalk is the discussion, even if it is 10 pages of what color thread are we going to have on our name tapes.

True. Particularly things like the new CPP. A lot of opinions, and even some suggestions. Heck, even my views over the course of the post evolved, so I bet when they do read it (and as we all know Ned does, and he had a hand in it), they appreciate seeing the conversation evolve.

BillB

Sounds like a good concept. But does MGen Carr have the time to respond to the questions? I would have none since I just got a snail mail letter from MGen Carr.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Private Investigator

I like the ideal   :clap:

"Ask the Commander", on eservices is answered by the "Wing Administrator". CAP Talk has all the gritty action of a Quentin Tarantino movie.  ;)

Flying Pig

We definitely represent the average CAP member!..... or maybe not.  >:D

whatevah

I like the idea in theory, but this is so far outside the chain of command (and keep in mind that CAPTalk is in no way an official anything) that I think there are better options.   Perhaps a better idea would be to just have a few threads serve as a common reference point for ideas to pass up the chain of command everywhere.  If 50 Wing CCs got the same requests, I'm sure it would result in something (maybe not what was wanted, but something nonetheless).
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

OldGuard

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 20, 2013, 01:18:32 AM

There is nothing normal about you  8)
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

PHall

Quote from: OldGuard on August 21, 2013, 03:05:37 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on August 20, 2013, 01:18:32 AM

There is nothing normal about you  8)

That's why he's been exiled to Florida! :o

bosshawk

He actually escaped the Democratic Republic of California to take up exile in Florida.  And he is not the normal CT poster.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Carrales

Before I begin, I was contacted by some cadet parents that mentioned that a cadet was being "bashed" or otherwise pummeled on this forum.  I  then read the thread in question.   Having not been in the "heat" of that debate reading it really sent bad signals.   :'(  Thus, I returned to CAPTALK to remind everyone that words make perception.

Does Gen Carr read this?  Hummmmmm?!?  Signs point to...what?

I believe he does.  If he has, woe be to the CAPTALK threadsters.

That said...  please temper your posts with restraint and debate procedures that make both logical and ethical sense.  Below is a chart which shows various fallacies of debate and argument.  Just for fun, see if you can count how many you may have done. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 21, 2013, 06:24:12 AM
Before I begin, I was contacted by some cadet parents that mentioned that a cadet was being "bashed" or otherwise pummeled on this forum. 

You did tell them that this is an unofficial discussion board of the CAP community and not everybody believes in "warm fuzzies" or a "snack break" after drill.  8)

Major Carrales

The perception of Civil Air Patrol, many times, is dictated more by people "misspeaking" here at Captalk than the actual press releases from Maxwell.  The "unofficial" nature of this forum does not excuse CAP personel from thier core values.  Nor does it negate the fact that things said here are read by the general public.  The appearance of bashing, dare I say hazing, a cadet is enough to cause damage to the program.  Put and end to that sort of thing.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 21, 2013, 05:16:53 PMThe appearance of bashing, dare I say hazing, a cadet is enough to cause damage to the program.  Put and end to that sort of thing.

If it ever comes up, we should be sure to point it out.  Haven't seen anything but cordial conversations and appropriate
questions / corrections here any time recently.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Oh no the "h" word has reared it's ugly head.

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2013, 05:32:18 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 21, 2013, 05:16:53 PMThe appearance of bashing, dare I say hazing, a cadet is enough to cause damage to the program.  Put and end to that sort of thing.

If it ever comes up, we should be sure to point it out.  Haven't seen anything but cordial conversations and appropriate

Cordial is not what comes to mind after the recent thread that was locked.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

abdsp51

Quote from: stillamarine on August 21, 2013, 05:47:25 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2013, 05:32:18 PM

Cordial is not what comes to mind after the recent thread that was locked.

Respsonses brought upon by said poster when a different approach didn't work.

NCRblues

Just in case anyone wants to pretend to be the national commander...the die made to use pinedas national/cc coins is for sale on eBay. You could start churning them out ASAP!!  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC