DCC changed to CDC, and DCS to CDS

Started by Mike W, July 28, 2013, 12:27:19 AM

Mike W

I have just been told a DCC is actually a CDC, and a DCS is a CDS. Where can I find an announcement about this?

RangerConlin

EMT-83

Quote from: Mike W on July 28, 2013, 12:27:19 AM
I have just been told a DCC is actually a CDC, and a DCS is a CDS. Where can I find an announcement about this?

What announcement? Those are the correct titles.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Mike W on July 28, 2013, 12:27:19 AM

CDC and CDS are the office symbols for the deputy commander positions as given in Attachment 1 of CAPR 10-1.  The literal meaning is Commander, Deputy, Cadets (or Seniors).  The rationale for this format is given earlier in CAPR 10-1:

Quote from: CAPR 10-1 Paragraph 1.b.
b. Using CAP office symbols. Office symbols (see attachment 1) are shortcuts
representing the organization structure and functional responsibility. Office symbols may be
used on correspondence, e-mail, forms, etc. Major functions have two-letter symbols, e.g.,
director of operations (DO). Since basic functions report to major functions, basic functions
have three-letter (or more) symbols, e.g., emergency services officer (DOS). A basic function's
office symbol starts with the same letters as the parent function's office symbol, and adds one
more letter, e.g., emergency services training officer (DOST); assistant ES officer (DOSA).

In real life, you address the person as Deputy Commander for Cadets/Seniors, but in correspondence, you use CDC or CDS.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

CDC and CDS are office symbols (see CAPR 10-1 Attachment 1)

If I remember correctly the first C refers to command section so CC = Command Section - Commander

CC is Commander
CD is Deputy Commander (which we have in Senior and Cadet Squadrons)

CDC is Deputy Commander for Cadets which could be abbreviated DCC
CDS is Deputy Commander for Seniors which could be abbreviated DCS (both we have in Composite Squadrons only, instead of a single DC)

For my current assignment my office symbol is IG
I have an assistant, his symbol is IGA
If I had additional staff I could split into areas
IGT - Training
IGI - Investigations
IGQ - Complaints (Why Q instead of C? My best guess is Quality. It's how it's on the NHQ IG site.) 

coudano

This isn't a change, it's the way it has always been.

DCC has always been wrong, but it is commonly used because it makes sense :)

BHartman007

Quote from: phirons on July 28, 2013, 12:58:17 AM

CDS is Deputy Commander for Seniors which could be abbreviated DCS (both we have in Composite Squadrons only, instead of a single DC)

Are you saying a composite shouldn't have all three (CD CDC CDS) or am I misreading?

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: BHartman007 on July 28, 2013, 01:27:00 AM
Are you saying a composite shouldn't have all three (CD CDC CDS) or am I misreading?

Not me, CAPR 20-1 Figures 12, 14, 16 and 17.

BHartman007

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

coudano

Quote from: BHartman007 on July 28, 2013, 01:27:00 AM

Composite squadron should have a CDC and a CDS.

Cadet squadron and senior squadron should have a CD.

rebowman

Announcement?   For what?   This is not breaking news.

Check the regs.

Eclipse

Quote from: rebowman on July 28, 2013, 02:22:32 AM

Sadly, in some corners, "reading the regs" is remarkable enough to justify a press release...

"That Others May Zoom"

Mike W

Quote from: rebowman on July 28, 2013, 02:22:32 AM

Check the regs.

There is absolutely no need to be rude.  You added  no value to the conversation.
Thank you to those who answered constructively. It is people like you that make me stay in CAP.

Private Investigator

CDC and CDS are office symbols (see CAPR 10-1 Attachment 1)

If I remember correctly the first C refers to command section so CC = Command Section - Commander

CC is Commander

For my current assignment my office symbol is IG
I have an assistant, his symbol is IGA
If I had additional staff I could split into areas
IGT - Training
IGI - Investigations
IGQ - Complaints (Why Q instead of C? My best guess is Quality. It's how it's on the NHQ IG site.)

Correctomundo.

The Comm Officer office symbol is DC. His assistants are:

DCA Admin
DCF Frequency Manager
DCL Licensing
DCO Operations
DCT Training

Along with others, maybe DCC is the person who makes coffee in the Comm Shack? Or the Cadet who sweeps up the Comm Shack after the weekly meeting?

Not to be confused with the DOCI and DOCL in the Operations Directorate.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: BHartman007 on July 28, 2013, 01:48:02 AM
Interesting. We have all three  :o

I know a Squadron has four and an Executive Officer. (don't forget they have a Chief of Staff too)

For the same reason they give an annual award to every Cadet in their Squadron.  ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: Mike W on July 28, 2013, 03:14:22 AM
There is absolutely no need to be rude.  You added  no value to the conversation.

Having it pointed out that you were misinformed for a prolonged period of time because of not reading the regs isn't "rude".

While this was recently reinforced in 10-1, this has been the proper use of office symbols for at least this century.
The most recent 10-1 is dated Feb 2011, which means the people in your unit who are responsible for being
current on this type of information are at least 2.5 years behind.

Rather then being thin-skinned about reality, perhaps you should take it as a "call to action" and spend some time
at unit meetings brushing up on the program and curriculum.  Even for those who are fully invested and have TMFT
CAP is a moving target and can catch you off guard.  An annual review of the regs pertinent to your duty assignment
is a good idea as at least the LDC.

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 28, 2013, 03:20:19 PM
I know a Squadron has four and an Executive Officer. (don't forget they have a Chief of Staff too)

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2013, 03:22:51 PM

((*sigh*))

Whats with the sigh?  If he's in a particularly big squadron maybe they do need an Excutive Officer and a Chief of Staff.
That's for the Squadron Commander to decide.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2013, 03:22:51 PM

((*sigh*))

Whats with the sigh?  If he's in a particularly big squadron maybe they do need an Excutive Officer and a Chief of Staff.
That's for the Squadron Commander to decide.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1 para 3
Organizational Structure. Civil Air Patrol's organizational structure at all levels follows the basic organizational concepts in this regulation. However, there may be situations where wings/units need to realign organizational elements to fit unique mission requirements. In these cases region commanders may approve deviations to improve efficiency.

Like a lot of things in CAP our regulations say when deviations can be made and who can authorize them. In this case it's the region commander's call.

I do put some of the blame on e-Services. It allows some silly duty assignments. (Ex. Chief of Staff at a squadron, Assistant Deputy Commander (Dwight Schrute joins CAP?)) It the past it has not allowed correct assignments (Ex. no Director of Professional Development at the wing level)

I don't know if this is still the case but a while back my squadron commander discovered that he could not grant temporary command functions (designed if the CC is going to out of touch for a medium period of time) to me as CDC. It could be done for CD and CDS. So for a while I was in e-services as CD and CDC of a composite squadron. :o

I've said before that sometimes it appears the IT people were given a CAP Regulation as there spec for a e-Services section. Anyone with a few years in CAP knows reading our regulations is an acquired skill. 

lordmonar

Does it really matter how it is organized?

Really?

If it is stupid but works.....it's not stupid.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on July 28, 2013, 05:31:30 PM
Does it really matter how it is organized?

Really?

If it is stupid but works.....it's not stupid.

Exactly. If everyone feels good why not? I mean you have seven (7) Senior Members so I could see how the span of control can be overwhelming.

I know a Squadron that had an IG about twenty years ago before the Regs were changed and/or enforced. That is a cool title for a policeman who does not want to be Supply Officer or Recruiter   8)