National Boy Scout Jamboree 2013

Started by ARandomCadet, July 09, 2013, 05:03:03 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:13:23 PMI do think OPSEC, and if they are putting certain details out, those details have probably been screened so as not to release any important details. OPSEC is a very important thing, and that is why I do not share certain things to anybody (not even if I was asks by somebody with the higher security clearance out there). In fact I would say some things if they weren't sensitive.

Clearly not the case - in this thread you have indicated that your father shares information with you that is not intended for the general membership.

In other threads you've indicated you live near an active AFB.

Boasting is one of the best ways the bad guys get information, and it's not usually one person, it's a number of people who "just tell a little", and then the power of Google assembles
the pieces.

An excellent piece of advice - you have two ears and one mouth, and they should be used in that proportion.  You've been in CAP about 15 minutes and Boy Scouts
probably less than a year, you don't even know what you don't know yet.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 10:16:51 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:09:34 PMI'm 12 and I have somewhat of a knowledge of what I'm talking about, since I am a participant at the event, and am saying what they told me.

No, you really don't.

Three things - first, you need to pick to pick your vector.  In just a few messages this went from "classified" to "on Facebook".  See above about self-aggrandizement.

Second - the discussion was unnecessary, as it is not relevent to anyone here, or even your inviting people to connect with you at the event, as if they are there,
they have the same info you do.

Third - just because someone else makes poor OPSEC decisions, doesn't mean you should compound them just because information is in the open.
Only one detail was put on Facebook, and the rest, well I don't know about because they didn't release it since it is confidential which is what is more correct.

Nuke52

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:52:44 PMThey said that stuff over the Internet on the jamboree blog.

Then it's not "FOUO", "Classified", or even a big secret.  It's public information.

Self-aggrandizement will not serve you well, son, whether CAP, the BSA, or life in general.  These days, especially, it is easy to
spot a poser and that won't make you popular at parties.

The activity itself is impressive enough on it's own merits, it doesn't need shoring up with insinuations of double-secret security measures
and sequestered troops waiting to pounce on Scouts with improperly colored flashlights.  Neither does your CAP experience need
a constant inject about your proximity to an Air Base.

Living down the street from a Starbucks doesn't make me a Barista...

Wait--whaaat??  He lives near an air base??  How in the HECK did you know that?!?  Next thing I know, you'll be telling me it's a pilot training base!
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:20:39 PMOnly one detail was put on Facebook, and the rest, well I don't know about because they didn't release it since it is confidential which is what is more correct.

Please look up that word somewhere.  Maybe that will help.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM
Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.  >:D
And I would love to have had this locked this locked after my first two replies (after my post) which we're informational, as I did not intend for something like this to happen.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:20:39 PMOnly one detail was put on Facebook, and the rest, well I don't know about because they didn't release it since it is confidential which is what is more correct.

Well here is the definition of it:
Quote from: Merriam Webster Online Dictionary
Main Entry: con·fi·den·tial
Pronunciation: \ˌkän-fə-ˈden(t)-shəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1759
1 : marked by intimacy or willingness to confide <a confidential tone> 2 : private, secret <confidential information> 3 : entrusted with confidences <a confidential clerk> 4 : containing information whose unauthorized disclosure could be prejudicial to the national interest — compare secret, top secret
— con·fi·den·ti·al·i·ty  \-ˌden(t)-shē-ˈa-lə-tē\ noun
— con·fi·den·tial·ly  \-ˈden(t)-sh(ə-)lē\ adverb

AlphaSigOU

Oy gevalt!  ::) The snowball is reaching gargantuan proportions... look out downhill!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nuke52

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 10:21:30 PM

From dictionary.com:

Somewhere: 
adverb
1.  in or at some place not specified, determined, or known: They live somewhere in Michigan.

2. to some place not specified or known: They went out somewhere.

3. at or to some point in amount, degree, etc. (usually followed by about, near,  etc.): He is somewhere about 60 years old.

4. at some point of time (usually followed by about, between, in,  etc.): somewhere about 1930; somewhere between 1930 and 1940; somewhere in the 1930s.

noun
5. an unspecified or uncertain place.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...  BTW, Who's on first?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Eclipse

^ Your reply "gets it" a lot more then Cadet Rainey's...

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Nuke52 on July 10, 2013, 10:30:07 PM
Sorry, couldn't help myself...  BTW, Who's on first?

What's on second?  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nuke52

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 10:31:31 PM
^ Your reply "gets it" a lot more then Cadet Rainey's...

This is so much fun, I almost feel bad.

Notice I said, "almost"...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

abdsp51

Cadet Rainey,

Your repeat posts show just how little you know, about dealing with any type of information.  I can assure that security arrangements for this are not classified and are more likely FOUO.  The DoD in this time of tight funds are not going to mobilize a task force for this event, it is not cost effective for them. 

The various branches may host activities there but that does not make them a task force in any capacity, and they would have to be directed by their Wg CC's and up to be used for anything and this is guided by the US code.  Any Task Force there will be mixed up of various LE and NG and other various agencies and there will be a MOU or MOA in place regarding the use of any DoD assets outside of the Guard. 

You need to focus more on learning and listening and less talking about things you know little about.  None of the plans for this event is classified at any level and at the most it is FOUO.  I strongly recommend that you listen to the advice being given to you.  If you carry this with you for the rest of your years your path will be difficult.

SarDragon

Cadet Rainey, the words Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret, have very specific definitions inside DoD.

I have included them, as well as a couple of other terms, as extracted from the NISPOM:

Classified Information. Official information that has been determined, pursuant to reference (b) or any predecessor order, to require protection against unauthorized disclosure in the interest of national security and which has been so designated. The term includes NSI, RD, and FRD.

CONFIDENTIAL. The classification level applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonable could be expected to cause damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

SECRET. The classification level applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause serious damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

TOP SECRET. The classification level applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonable could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

"FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" (FOUO). Intelligence information used to control dissemination of UNCLASSIFIED official government information until approved for public release by the originator. May be used only with UNCLASSIFIED on page markings.

Need-to-Know. A determination made by an authorized holder of classified information that a prospective recipient has a requirement for access to, knowledge, or possession of the classified information to perform tasks or services essential to the fulfillment of a classified contract or program.

I suggest that you step back and consider the experience and knowledge of the other folks on here before making any further rash statements about security issues. You are in over your head. Way over.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:09:34 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2013, 09:52:53 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 09:04:42 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2013, 09:00:40 PM
Mr Rainey.....if the security arrangements are classified.....why are you talking about them?  :(
That is what they put out in a post about it. And they won't say anything more.
Why are YOU talking about it. 

I don't know how old you are....but really....you got no idea what you are talking about.
Why would they put the link out on Facebook if they didn't want people to see the post about security and safety. The actual title of the article is "Security and Saftey at the Jamboree." I'm 12 and I have somewhat of a knowledge of what I'm talking about, since I am a participant at the event, and am saying what they told me.
Up until 4 weeks ago I was staff for the Jamboree.  I have been to two Jamborees as a participant ('81&'85).  I've been around the block a bit.

My point is that you come off as a bit of a know it all....and trying to show that you are all hard core cool.....but really.  Just cease and desist.   You are quickly becoming one of those guys who becomes persona non grata.

Have fun at the Jamboree.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:25:54 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM
Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.  >:D
And I would love to have had this locked this locked after my first two replies (after my post) which we're informational, as I did not intend for something like this to happen.
Welcome to CAPTALK....the way to stop this from happening is to stop posting.  It is that simple.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP