National Boy Scout Jamboree 2013

Started by ARandomCadet, July 09, 2013, 05:03:03 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:26:22 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:19:33 PM
BSA said they do not speak openly (the first indication it is classified, as I can go and find all the FOUO stuff I want)

No, that means they "do not speak openly".  If you, as a rank and file Scout, can "find all the FOUO stuff you want", that means that any member of the general public, scout parents,
and anyone else interested can as well.
Exactly...

If I call my company's director of IT Security for example and ask for details on our firewalls, he'll tell me where to go and suggest an efficient manner of getting there.  Still not "classified", just none of my [darn]ed business.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:26:22 PM
BSA said they do not speak openly (the first indication it is classified, as I can go and find all the FOUO stuff I want)

No, that means they "do not speak openly".  If you, as a rank and file Scout, can "find all the FOUO stuff you want", that means that any member of the general public, scout parents,
and anyone else interested can as well.
I'm not referring to BSA (although I do get my hands on a lot of FOUO stuff as my dad is in a position at the council level and gets a lot of stuff that most people don't get to see and then he passes it to me), I was referring to military documents (and CAP documents, I picked up a FOUO book that was just at the airport and I got it before I even considered attending CAP and then joining it).

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:24:59 PMTo enter the area all participants must pass an on site medical test along with the exams administered before being accepted to go there.

They are going to perform 50,000 medical exams onsite, before allowing access?

That should make for a somewhat "interesting" in-process line. 

Assuming I did the math right, and these "exams" took 5 minutes each, that's 173 days at 24x7.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 10, 2013, 07:49:35 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 02:54:14 AM
The security arrangements are classified, but there is a DoD and WVARNG task force there. The main reason they said no to laser pointers was because it could be thought to be a laser from a weapon.

It's not classified its likely designated FOUO, and I doubt that there is a DoD TF there providing security.  You probably have a TF made up of LE, ANG, and maybe FEMA.  I think you need to double check your information before posting.
BSA said they do not speak openly (the first indication it is classified, as I can go and find all the FOUO stuff I want) about the security arrangements. Also they said a joint task force to coordinate DoD and WVARNG assets (I am lead to believe that employees for both are on the task force that coordinates everything), also I am lead to believe that because of the high risk situation that the DoD and WVARNG would be doing counter-terrorism security and medical support (the photo at the top if the post [which is written by the chief security person] shows a U.S. Army UH-60 with fuel pods and medical markings on it).

Just some professional development: The term "classified" has a very specific meaning in the DoD, meaning the information is considered SECRET, TOP SECRET/SPECIAL COMPARTMENTALIZED INFORMATION, etc. Coming with that are a very large and burdensome set of rules to protect data, documents, and information flow, which for an open activity like the Jamboree, I doubt is actually classified. It would mean that they can't even talk on the phone from one National Guard Armory to another due to information restrictions without special phone lines- I doubt they'd do that in this case. For all I know it may be, but "classified" is far from the meaning "don't talk about it," which is closer to FOUO or sensitive.

BSA not speaking openly should clue us in- you probably shouldn't be listing all the agencies participating or discussing security arrangements either. That too is a form of security threat, as the more available the information is, the easier it is to find and exploit. Not that I'm positive it isn't already public knowledge, but again for your professional development, one instinct you will want to develop is to get a sense when information is sensitive, and resist the urge to spread it. It can be tempting to talk about "cool" things like troop movements, but in the end, it hurts the security arrangements.

And speaking as a UH-60 pilot, don't get in the MEDEVAC with the fuel tanks! Not the greatest experience, especially if it's flown as a "fun ride." I'm sure the pilots are fine and safe, but we're all tempted at times to do something stupid to show off, and the UH-60 doesn't like to fly with external tanks to begin with (and the crews hardly ever train with them on). There was a crash in Germany a few years back for just that very reason.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

+1 on this ^, also this:

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:33:52 PM
I'm not referring to BSA (although I do get my hands on a lot of FOUO stuff as my dad is in a position at the council level and gets a lot of stuff that most people don't get to see and then he passes it to me), I was referring to military documents (and CAP documents, I picked up a FOUO book that was just at the airport and I got it before I even considered attending CAP and then joining it).

I'm sure your dad will be thrilled to learn how "open" you are with this information.

Regardless, this isn't a BSA board, or even a general cadeting forum like CS, so what is your point in sharing this sensitive information here, not to mention your
personal contact information via the QE code?

It doesn't appear anyone from CT is going to be there, so enjoy it and make sure you have your CAP uniform in case they need you to "step in".

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
+1 on this ^, also this:

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:33:52 PM

I'm sure your dad will be thrilled to learn how "open" you are with this information.

Regardless, this isn't a BSA board, or even a general cadeting forum like CS, so what is your point in sharing this sensitive information here, not to mention your
personal contact information via the QE code?

It doesn't appear anyone from CT is going to be there, so enjoy it and make sure you have your CAP uniform in case they need you to "step in".
Just seeing if anyone from CT is going to the jamboree. Also it's not sensitive info about what they put out. They said that stuff over the Internet on the jamboree blog.

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:52:44 PMThey said that stuff over the Internet on the jamboree blog.

Then it's not "FOUO", "Classified", or even a big secret.  It's public information.

Self-aggrandizement will not serve you well, son, whether CAP, the BSA, or life in general.  These days, especially, it is easy to
spot a poser and that won't make you popular at parties.

The activity itself is impressive enough on it's own merits, it doesn't need shoring up with insinuations of double-secret security measures
and sequestered troops waiting to pounce on Scouts with improperly colored flashlights.  Neither does your CAP experience need
a constant inject about your proximity to an Air Base.

Living down the street from a Starbucks doesn't make me a Barista...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Mr Rainey.....if the security arrangements are classified.....why are you talking about them?  :(

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

ARandomCadet

Quote from: UH60guy on July 10, 2013, 08:39:56 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 10, 2013, 07:49:35 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 02:54:14 AM
The security arrangements are classified, but there is a DoD and WVARNG task force there. The main reason they said no to laser pointers was because it could be thought to be a laser from a weapon.

It's not classified its likely designated FOUO, and I doubt that there is a DoD TF there providing security.  You probably have a TF made up of LE, ANG, and maybe FEMA.  I think you need to double check your information before posting.
BSA said they do not speak openly (the first indication it is classified, as I can go and find all the FOUO stuff I want) about the security arrangements. Also they said a joint task force to coordinate DoD and WVARNG assets (I am lead to believe that employees for both are on the task force that coordinates everything), also I am lead to believe that because of the high risk situation that the DoD and WVARNG would be doing counter-terrorism security and medical support (the photo at the top if the post [which is written by the chief security person] shows a U.S. Army UH-60 with fuel pods and medical markings on it).

Just some professional development: The term "classified" has a very specific meaning in the DoD, meaning the information is considered SECRET, TOP SECRET/SPECIAL COMPARTMENTALIZED INFORMATION, etc. Coming with that are a very large and burdensome set of rules to protect data, documents, and information flow, which for an open activity like the Jamboree, I doubt is actually classified. It would mean that they can't even talk on the phone from one National Guard Armory to another due to information restrictions without special phone lines- I doubt they'd do that in this case. For all I know it may be, but "classified" is far from the meaning "don't talk about it," which is closer to FOUO or sensitive.

BSA not speaking openly should clue us in- you probably shouldn't be listing all the agencies participating or discussing security arrangements either. That too is a form of security threat, as the more available the information is, the easier it is to find and exploit. Not that I'm positive it isn't already public knowledge, but again for your professional development, one instinct you will want to develop is to get a sense when information is sensitive, and resist the urge to spread it. It can be tempting to talk about "cool" things like troop movements, but in the end, it hurts the security arrangements.

And speaking as a UH-60 pilot, don't get in the MEDEVAC with the fuel tanks! Not the greatest experience, especially if it's flown as a "fun ride." I'm sure the pilots are fine and safe, but we're all tempted at times to do something stupid to show off, and the UH-60 doesn't like to fly with external tanks to begin with (and the crews hardly ever train with them on). There was a crash in Germany a few years back for just that very reason.
When you are dealing with the agencies and assets that are being utilized, and the nature of the event (over 10 days a combined total of visitors, scouts, leaders, and staff that makes over 100,000 people), they have a lot of info relating to security that is confidential (there I won't say it's classified anymore). But they will have Navy SEALs at the Jamboree (there is a PT event that the SEALs are helping run, hence the name Summit SEAL Challenge because the SEALs are working it and the participants in it are trying to complete the SEAL PT entrance test). And they have assets on hand from all 5 branches that are running exhibits. I am sure (and I am just guessing) that in an emergency that they will activate those assets to help.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2013, 09:00:40 PM
Mr Rainey.....if the security arrangements are classified.....why are you talking about them?  :(
That is what they put out in a post about it. And they won't say anything more.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 08:52:44 PMThey said that stuff over the Internet on the jamboree blog.

Then it's not "FOUO", "Classified", or even a big secret.  It's public information.

Self-aggrandizement will not serve you well, son, whether CAP, the BSA, or life in general.  These days, especially, it is easy to

The activity itself is impressive enough on it's own merits, it doesn't need shoring up with insinuations of double-secret security measures
and sequestered troops waiting to pounce on Scouts with improperly colored flashlights.  Neither does your CAP experience need

They only said that there was a task force coordinating DoD and WVARNF assets. They never say anything that actually reveals security plans, besides there will be local, state, and federal assets at the site.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

They never revealed anything besides a task force coordinating military assets, and that there will be assets from the local, state, and federal level.

Eclipse

The level of "not getting it" is strong in this one...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM

Can't stop the thread-lock clock!  >:D

BTW, Cadet Rainey... think OPSEC! Don't give the bad guys pieces to complete the puzzle regarding operations that are sensitive.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 09:04:42 PM
Why are YOU talking about it. 

I don't know how old you are....but really....you got no idea what you are talking about.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2013, 09:52:53 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 09:04:42 PM
Why are YOU talking about it. 

I don't know how old you are....but really....you got no idea what you are talking about.
Why would they put the link out on Facebook if they didn't want people to see the post about security and safety. The actual title of the article is "Security and Saftey at the Jamboree." I'm 12 and I have somewhat of a knowledge of what I'm talking about, since I am a participant at the event, and am saying what they told me.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 10, 2013, 09:50:18 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM

Can't stop the thread-lock clock!  >:D

BTW, Cadet Rainey... think OPSEC! Don't give the bad guys pieces to complete the puzzle regarding operations that are sensitive.
I do think OPSEC, and if they are putting certain details out, those details have probably been screened so as not to release any important details. OPSEC is a very important thing, and that is why I do not share certain things to anybody (not even if I was asks by somebody with the higher security clearance out there). In fact I would say some things if they weren't sensitive.

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 10:09:34 PMI'm 12 and I have somewhat of a knowledge of what I'm talking about, since I am a participant at the event, and am saying what they told me.

No, you really don't.

Three things - first, you need to pick to pick your vector.  In just a few messages this went from "classified" to "on Facebook".  See above about self-aggrandizement.

Second - the discussion was unnecessary, as it is not relevent to anyone here, or even your inviting people to connect with you at the event, as if they are there,
they have the same info you do.

Third - just because someone else makes poor OPSEC decisions, doesn't mean you should compound them just because information is in the open.

"That Others May Zoom"