New Requirements for Unit Commander

Started by ADCAPer, March 01, 2007, 08:36:32 PM

SAR-EMT1

Just got an Email from ILWg HQ- that the UCC is being taught at the end of the month.
Well and good except it goes on to say that it will be mandatory of all DC/CC's  and its taught in the heart of Chicagoland.
I think developing an online or coorespondance version would be great.
That aside I look forward to seeing how the course will be.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

smj58501

If this is really going to be an enforced requirement, then a online (and/ or correspondence) version of the UCC needs to be developed. This is not to eliminate residence offerings, but to provide another option to those Cdrs/ Cdr Candidates out there who are already taxed for time to devote to CAP.

Here is the scenario that could develop if we don't do this- we end up having to pick commanders based on who has time on their hands to complete a weekend/ multi-evening residence course, vs. who the best qualified people are to be commanders. Sometimes this situation may work out fine, but too often (and once is too often) we could end up with an absolute deadbeat running a squadron because they had time to check the block. This circumstance has happened in other organizations (paid and voluntary).

A weekend/ evenings may not sound like a big commitment, but the timing of the selected weekends/ evenings for residence courses impact completion rates (I know... preaching to the saved).  CAP already takes a lot of weekends and evenings away from our volunteers, and thank goodness they are willing to give them to us. There is a breaking point for everything, however, and we need to start finding ways to help our volunteers better fulfill CAP requirements on terms that work best for volunteers vs. the organization. An online version would give students another option to choose from in order to help them comply with the requirement. It would also help reduce the demand on HHQ's support to these courses by cutting back on the number of offerings needed.

In close, more requirements are being constantly thrust upon us. I am sure there is a good reason for many of them,  and there is definitely a good reason to have UCC as a requirement. The attitude of "so it has been said, so it shall be done" needs to change, however. The new attitude needs to be "so it has been said, so it shall be done, and these are the many ways we will help you comply with the requirement".

The organization asks a lot of us, and we willingly give or we would not be here. This is not much to ask from the organization in return.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

ZigZag911

Quote from: smj58501 on March 05, 2007, 07:48:36 PM
If this is really going to be an enforced requirement

And therein lies the hitch...how long will it be before "waivers" start being granted so some crony can be appointed to command a group or squadron..."sure, he doesn't hve the right training, but he's a good guy!"

lordmonar

And the issue has always been about the training.  Why do we have "untrained" squadron commanders?  Because no one is providing the training, or not allowing enough access to said training.

Sure wings are holding the training...but when and where are they?  Are group and wing commanders "encouraging" their squadron commanders to be at the training?  What about squadrons with out wings?  I was a commander at an overseas wing....there was ZERO training of any kind that wing was supposed to conduct.  I had to figure it out all myself.

Sure National should mandate that only qualified and trained members be assigned commanders.  They should also hold wing accountable for appointing said untrained members to those positions.

The easy fix is to develop an online or correspondence course that covers all the responsibilities, duties and leadership topics a good commander should know.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

smj58501

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 05, 2007, 10:40:12 PM

And therein lies the hitch...how long will it be before "waivers" start being granted so some crony can be appointed to command a group or squadron..."sure, he doesn't hve the right training, but he's a good guy!"

About as long as it takes a taxi cab driver in NY to hit the horn after the light turns green.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

ZigZag911

Quote from: smj58501 on March 06, 2007, 01:17:23 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 05, 2007, 10:40:12 PM

About as long as it takes a taxi cab driver in NY to hit the horn after the light turns green.

Extremely well put, Sir!

Tags - MIKE

shorning

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen the policy letter requiring the UCC for commanders.  I've seen several mentions of the PL, but haven't actually seen it.

shorning

Quote from: shorning on May 22, 2007, 04:18:03 AM

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen the policy letter requiring the UCC for commanders.  I've seen several mentions of the PL, but haven't actually seen it.

So...should I have thrown in a uniform comment too?  Or a conspiracy theory?  Just checking...

Al Sayre

I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't mind attending...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Dragoon

Mandating UCC for squadron command only makes sense if

1.  You're willing to decharter units that you can't find a UCC-graduate commander for.

2.  You've got some kind of quality check (i.e. evaluation system) so a complete goober who' happens to have a weekend free sit at UCC sucking up oxygen and learning nothing doesn't walk out as a UCC graduate.

But as long as we keep squadrons open no matter what and UCC (like SLS and CLC) are ungraded butt and bladder endurance tests, it makes little sense to mandate it.

Now, what we could do is encourage UCC attendance a bit through incentives..  For example, don't allow commanders to wear the command badge until they complete UCC, and  don't award the command service ribbon until the officer has served in command a full year after attending UCC.  That kind of stuff.

It would also help if we gathered some statistics to determine if UCC graduates are indeed better unit commanders.

dwb

Quote from: Dragoon on May 23, 2007, 01:51:50 PM...and UCC (like SLS and CLC) are ungraded butt and bladder endurance tests...

Well, that's basically an unsolvable problem.  No matter how hard you try, some people will just not retain the material.

The best you can do is put out good curricula, optional online modules (like the TLC ones) for the more ambitious people, and encourage Wings to choose good directors who will put together worthwhile training for those willing to receive it.

As best as I can tell, all those things are already happening.  TLC is great, the new SLS looks good, and I'm sure a redo of CLC is next on the list.

I do like your idea of tying Command Bling to UCC attendance.

shorning

So...has anyone seen the policy letter?

JC004

Quote from: shorning on May 23, 2007, 04:58:56 PM

So...has anyone seen the policy letter?

It's still in the rumor mill.   >:D

Grumpy

Hech, our new Wing CC has never held any position of command.  Do you think now that he's running the wing he might take the UCC?  Hmmm

Grumpy in CA

SAR-EMT1

Unsure of the situation nationally. But the requirement I refered to was ILWG exclusive.
To the best of my knowledge.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student