My recruiting techniques are working!!!!

Started by usafcap1, October 31, 2012, 10:51:23 PM

usafcap1

Quote from: Eclipse on November 07, 2012, 08:17:21 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on November 07, 2012, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 07, 2012, 07:28:11 PM
What else do you think a military recruiting liaison would do?

I don't know?

Well, alrighty then.

I think I got overly happy when I got my 1st recruiting call.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

jimmydeanno

"Military Recruiting Liaison" sounds like he's interested in the following:

1) Talking to the cadets as a recruiter on certain dates.

2) Being channeled any cadet who is interested in joining the military.

It's all related to his job.  He's trying to network so that he can improve his recruiting numbers.  By  being your "liaison", every time you have a cadet who expresses interest in joining the military, you'll suggest that they talk to him.  He'll talk to them about joining whatever branch he is, and voila, he gets the recruit before they even talk to other services. 

I would be very clear with him about how that position would operate, if at all.  Personally, I can't say that I'd want to bring such a permanent recruiting presence into my unit.  Not because I'm anti-military, but because of the perception of what it appears our organization is for and does.  I know that a significant number of our cadets are interested in joining the military.  I know that many of them will end up in the military, but I wouldn't want them to feel pressured to join because we have an in-house recruiter who is always chatting them up about joining.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

He doesn't mention which service the recruiter is from. As much as my personal bias says to channel people towards the Navy, I also know that not every one is suited for the Navy, or the AF, or any other service.

I'm not comfortable with one recruiter having that leg up, and being able to cherry pick recruits.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

I do have to say, that's one thing nice here. The nearest recruiting office to our unit represents everyone. All services are available via the same office.

SarDragon

There's the office, and there's the recruiter. I've seen recruiters back stab guys in their office to cherry pick the best recruits. Probably isn't super common, but it happens, and this as the appearance of being that situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Roger that.

I was going to join the Army and the Marine recruiter ask me in the parking lot what I wanted to do in the Army and he came back with a good spin on why the Marines made more sense and I joined the Marines.

When I was in the Marines my girl friend then got Recruiting Duty. Same scenario. Any decent candidate another service got she would talk them into joining the Marines instead. She did such a good job she was "Recruiter of the Year" and got the Navy Commendation Medal for it.   8)

Майор Хаткевич

The "Armed Forces Recruiting Center" in my area is an Army Recruiting station...

abdsp51

He wants to be a "liaison"  per say.  What can he offer you as far as helping the unit out besides picking up cadets for the service.  What branch is he?  If he is AF then I would see about having him get a base tour for your guys etc.  This does not have to be a one way street for just the recruiter having a pool of bodies.

Eclipse

I just got a phone call from a guy who wants to be my Amway "Liaison".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

To the OP:  Since you're new and relatively inexperienced (that's not a dig at you; we were all in those shoes at one point), I'd say now that you have garnered a recruiting referral for CAP pass him off to somebody with more experience in the organization to "close the deal" (so to speak) and talk to him about what he really wants to do in and for CAP.  Perhaps your Sq/CC or Deputy for Seniors could speak to him -- somebody with experience in a variety of specialty tracks and can knowledgeably speak about the various ways he can get involved.

The bottom line is that "Recruiting Liaison" isn't a real position.  It doesn't appear in the org charts in 20-1.  And it doesn't appear for a reason.  Those positions that are standard for a squadron are the critical spots to fill, unless there's a preexisting need for something else.   I would not recommend creating a special position for someone interested in joining, especially if you're creating it for their sake rather than to fill a need the squadron already has.   On top of that, most military recruiters I've known have long, demanding schedules that often include evening and weekend work; I can't imagine how they'd have time for any sort of real level of involvement with CAP.

So, turn over his contact info to an experienced CAP member in your unit and have him or her (or your commander) follow up with the military recruiter.  They should ask what (if anything) he has an interest in doing in CAP, in a standard duty assignment, and what level of commitment he is interested in putting forth.   My guess is that you'll find he's not interested in becoming a SM and helping out the squadron by filling a duty assignment as a result of that conversation.    Of course, don't burn bridges.  Keep his contact info around, thank him for his time, and perhaps work with the Deputy for Cadets and Leadership Officer to see if there is an appropriate time in the quarterly schedule to work in a presentation or Q&A session with the recruiter and the cadets.  That would be far more appropriate.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2012, 05:14:36 PMI just got a phone call from a guy who wants to be my Amway "Liaison".
These people make me think of "Louis Tully" (Rick Moranis, Ghostbusters) .. always weaseling their way into your face for a buck.

Flying Pig

I would say fine.  That position doesnt exist, nor are you going to create one.  If you want to join CAP, great, I think CP would be a great spot.  But you are going to need to "buy in" to the CAP program.  Not show up in your military uniform and stand in the corner.  Look.... heres the deal.  Unless your squadron has a MASSIVE cadet program, him joining isnt going to become a funnel for anything.  The time and effort he will need to invest in CAP will far outweigh the 1 or 2 cadets a year he might pick up.  Throw him a bone.  When he shows up to a meeting and quickly discovers there arent 25 18 yr old cadets, youll see where his intentions are. 
Just the fact that he suggested "recruiting liaison" tells me hes looking at CAP as a recruit funnel.  Hey... OK, no problem, as long as he plays by the rules and is a benefit to the unit.   Is this guy a new recruiter by chance? 

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Walkman

A possible upside to this is gaining referrals for your squadron from him. Many teens go to see recruiters before they're old enough to be eligible to enlist. That's a good potential cadet, especially if the Mitchell benefits are highlighted. You can also ask him to direct any solid people that may have had a medical or other technical DQ. I'm not talking about the one with legal or drug issues, or the ones that score in the basement on the ASVAB. There are lots of good people out there that would love to serve their country, but for reasons outside their control they can't enlist. I'm one of them.