Main Menu

Because I care!!!!

Started by Stonewall, October 04, 2012, 07:04:50 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: Terry W. on October 04, 2012, 10:25:43 PM
Great topic. Not to try to derail the thread, but how many SM's here participate in PT with the cadets.

When I was with the composite squadron, I did PT with the cadets. I've never been good at the sit/reach, but could keep up in the other areas. At 55, I could run the mile faster than about half of the cadets in the unit. I'd place in the upper third in situps, and the lower third in pushups.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ned

Factoid for the Nutrition Information Advocates:

I am a runner. 

It takes me almost exactly 90 minutes to run 11 miles.  According to the charts, I burn about 1400 calories each time I do that.

By an amazing coincidence, a Big Mac, large fries, and Coke together have almost exactly 1400 calories.

It takes far, far less time and effort to not eat a Big Mac and fries than it does to run 11 miles.

So take the easy way out -- just don't eat Big Macs!  ;)

With determination and practice, you could not eat a Big Mac almost every day while avoiding blisters and shin splints.

Save the time for useful things like CAP.

Ned Lee

FW

^ +1

With many states now topping 35% of its residents with a BMI of over 29, we all need to rethink what we eat and do. Public Health experts predict half of us will be obease in the next 7 years (2020).  What a sobering thought.  :o

My weight began creeping up in the last couple of years.  I decided to get out and start walking and eating healthier choices.  I'm now back to my "target weight" however, the icecream and cookies cry out to me every so often. At least I can still fit into my blues and, my Mooney, lol.   :angel:

Stonewall

And that's why Ned is The Man!

My workouts vary day to day, but 90% of the time it involves between 45 & 60 minutes in the gym and minimum of 30 minutes spent doing cardio. Some days involves a 3-5 mile run (500-800 calories) followed by a crossfit workout while other days include a 1 1/2 mile run with some weights.  Then there are the cardio-only days, like today, where my goal was burning a minimum of 1,000 calories, i.e. 50 minutes on the arc-trainer.

The other 10% of the time has me doing some sort of silliness outside running trails, swimming, mountain biking, or strapping on the old ruck sack.

But like Ned said, just avoid putting that bad stuff in your gut and you won't have to worry about the working out.  I always use a can of coke as an example.  A can of coke has about 150 calories.  It takes me 7 1/2 minutes running at an 8 minute mile pace to burn 150 calories. This, according to the computer of course.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Out of curiosity, did anyone that downloaded an article read it, like it, have any feedback?  Good or bad?
Serving since 1987.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Stonewall on October 05, 2012, 12:35:40 AM
And that's why Ned is The Man!

My workouts vary day to day, but 90% of the time it involves between 45 & 60 minutes in the gym and minimum of 30 minutes spent doing cardio. Some days involves a 3-5 mile run (500-800 calories) followed by a crossfit workout while other days include a 1 1/2 mile run with some weights.  Then there are the cardio-only days, like today, where my goal was burning a minimum of 1,000 calories, i.e. 50 minutes on the arc-trainer.

The other 10% of the time has me doing some sort of silliness outside running trails, swimming, mountain biking, or strapping on the old ruck sack.

But like Ned said, just avoid putting that bad stuff in your gut and you won't have to worry about the working out.  I always use a can of coke as an example.  A can of coke has about 150 calories.  It takes me 7 1/2 minutes running at an 8 minute mile pace to burn 150 calories. This, according to the computer of course.

I consumed my last carbonated beverage right after encampment in August and haven't had one since. I switched to tea which has done wonders. I don't have muscle spasms like I used to. I sleep better, my allergies don't bother me as much, and I feel a little more energetic, which is weird. Now if I can only do something about my addiction to fast food...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Larry Mangum

Stonewall,  I have downloaded and read all three and am going to set down and go over them with my lovely wife this evening. We have both been trying to cut back on carbs and this is just further encoragement.

Thanks for the articles!
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

adamblank

Stonewall,

Great articles.  I didn't get too far out of range for my weight but I wanted to lean up.  I took a few months really changed my diet and lost 15 lbs.  Similar method of just better planning of exercise, and improving my diet. 

Adam
Adam Brandao

Stonewall

Because it's inevitable that we all end up going to fast food restaurants sooner or later (some sooner and more often), I was thinking about listing what I would get if I went to Mc D's, BK, KFC, etc.  People are often surprised that I eat lunch out every day of the week, yet I claim that I'm eating healthier than the average person.  When I get some time later I'll do this.

FWIW, I woke up and ran 4 miles this morning then spent 2 hours mowing and doing yard work.  Now it's off to Gander Mountain to get a few things for this year's camping season...
Serving since 1987.

Patterson

The statement "eat less, burn more" is getting old now!  Unfortunately the blame for a person being fat is not shared by society, like some other diseases. This problem did not happen overnight, it has literally taken place over the past century.

Why does child "A" have a metabolism that allows him to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, while child "B" must starve and deprive himself everything child "A" is allowed but still ends up fat??

We all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

If I come off as a jerk, I am not at all sorry!  Please stop lecturing on a topic we get lectured about nearly everyday. If the majority is fat, then perhaps standards need changed. Either that or actually research why a baby is born with a predisposition to being fat while the baby born in the next room is predisposed to never being fat.

Garibaldi

Wow. I smell troll, and I think somehow RM got out of his box. Never seen this guy's name before yet he's a seasoned member?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:14:48 PM
The statement "eat less, burn more" is getting old now!  Unfortunately the blame for a person being fat is not shared by society, like some other diseases. This problem did not happen overnight, it has literally taken place over the past century.

Why does child "A" have a metabolism that allows him to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, while child "B" must starve and deprive himself everything child "A" is allowed but still ends up fat??

Partly because child "A" is probably more athletic in the first place. The more exercise you do, the more your metabolism changes to compensate for the extra calories being burned. Child "B" is the kid who, for whatever reasons, doesn't get as much exercise as child "A".

QuoteWe all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

If I come off as a jerk, I am not at all sorry!  Please stop lecturing on a topic we get lectured about nearly everyday. If the majority is fat, then perhaps standards need changed. Either that or actually research why a baby is born with a predisposition to being fat while the baby born in the next room is predisposed to never being fat.

The standards are just fine. The participation is flawed.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, my weight stayed fairly constant while I was in the Navy. I got regular exercise and ate a reasonable diet. After I retired, my exercise level went down, and my weight went up. I still meet the AF standard in the 39-1, but my body fat measurements put me in the overweight category. When I get active, and exercise more, even if it's incidental, like a lot more walking, my weight goes down.

Calories burned must be greater than calories taken in. It is, for most people, that simple.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Perez

I came from the opposite end of the scale. Before I joined CAP, I was one of those skinny 6 ft kids who couldn't lift much more than an xbox controller. Since I joined CAP, I've participated in 5ks, run a triathlon, graduated PJOC, and maxed out my CPFT for the past two years. The biggest problem I've seen for CAP as an organization is that people often drive a wedge between cadets who are seen as "fit" and those who aren't. People automatically assume that you're the judgmental type, and anytime somebody mentions nutritional education, or exercise at CAP meetings; somebody screams hazing.

Most senior members I know of haven't even heard of 52-18, and don't want anything to do with it. I hope national can find a way to encourage more squadrons to maintain effective PT programs, instead of just testing monthly.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Stonewall

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:14:48 PM

We all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

Emphasis mine.  I see, the old "we can't meet a standard, so let's lower it. I gotcha!

I have never done the research so I won't claim to be the expert, but my wild guess is that fewer than 10% of overweight people are in that situation solely because of a "medical condition".  My cousin is one of them.  That girl is 300 lbs and has been clinically diagnosed with some sort of condition that will not let her get skinny.  I won't pretend to know anything about it, to include the name of the condition, but I know she's had life threatening issues because of it.

Now, the other 90% +/-....IT IS 100% IN YOUR CONTROL.  I don't care what people tell themselves, but nutrition and caloric intake is highly misunderstood because people just don't comprehend the cause and effect.  It's hard to believe that a can of coke with roughly 150 calories and how much sugar (20+ grams) can harm your body.  People are often in denial as to what they actually shove down their throats.  I WAS ONE OF THESE PEOPLE FOR A PERIOD IN MY LIFE.  I'm not speaking from something I read in a book, I spent almost 4 years snorting sugar and taking shots of ketchup.  My diet was HORRIBLE.  The entire time I was working out 4 to 5 days a week in the gym; running, lifting, etc., but my exercise could not compete with my terrible eating habits.  Just think if I HADN'T BEEN WORKING OUT!?!?!?!?!

This HUGE LADY in the accounting department at work had some sort of surgery to lose weight.  After a couple of years, she's the HUGE LADY again.  Why?  Hmmm...I'm sure it's society's fault, but she's one of those "I always have a reason to eat" type people.  Friday is "DOUGHNUT DAY" and yes, she brings the Krispy Kremes in EVERY FRIDAY.  On Friday I saw here eat THREE DOUGHNUTS....I politely said no.  But I'm sure her issue is society's fault.  Probably the Republican party's fault as well.

Obesity is a chronic issue in the world and more so in the US.  I think if people took control and held themselves responsible for their own actions, much like they should when it comes to finances, then the problem would be less of an issue than it is today.

But let's just adjust the acceptable standard.  It's much easier that way.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Btw, I dusted my old tread mill off, and started to walk/jog for bout 20 mins, and been drinking water, and tryibg not to consume so much food. its anstart
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

jimmydeanno

It seems to me that the research has been done, and the standards are a result of that research.  Patterson is just a troll, discontent with anything and everything. 

Either way, if he's sick of "eat less, burn more" it can easily be turned into, "eat less, burn the same."  The message is the same - Eat Less.  The majority of overweight people eat too much.  Certainly there are exceptions to the rule, and some people have it easier than others, but when it comes down to it people don't pay attention to what they eat.

They'll have cheerios in the morning, with milk.  Which is fine.  However, it'll be 3x the suggested serving, making the 140 calorie breakfast almost 450.  Combined with the 3 cups of coffee w/ sugar:  25 calories/tsp of sugar=75 calories + the coffee at 20 calories = 95-100 calories. So just off a bowl of cereal and coffee, we are almost at the 1/2 way mark for the day.  Add a glass of OJ and it becomes about 1/3.

Then we have lunch, so we stop at Mc D's and get a Big Mac meal.  The burger has 550 calories, the fries (large) is another 500, and the large soft drink is about 300 more (1,350 calories total).  Add to breakfast and we are at our suggest intake for the day.  But wait, we haven't had a snack in the afternoon, a few cans of soda, an ice cream, or DINNER!

So, it's said that an overage of 500 calories each day for a week will add a pound of fat.  To lose a pound you'd need to have a 500 calorie deficit.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ProdigalJim

:clap: :clap: to you both!

Medical conditions *can* create a propensity to obesity...but dedication and modification of lifestyles can help keep it in check. Long-term, high-dose steroids, thyroid conditions, and a few other things like that can pack on the pounds, but some of that can be countered by not just going to the gym, but embracing everyday opportunities for physical activities: park at the *back* of the parking lot when you go to the store, instead of car-sharking around waiting for the closest spot; use the stairs; carry your bag, instead of dragging it on roller-skate wheels (this one drives me especially nuts...seeing people dragging six-ounce bags behind them on wheels in the Washington Metro!); if your work is sedentary, computer-based, get up and walk around every hour; for those with typical suburban postage-stamp lawns, use a push-mower instead of a powered one. Stuff like that really helps.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I was a kid, I was anaemic and very underweight.

It was like that basically until the medication regimen I am on now.

If some aren't buying it, saying it's an excuse, etc., that's unfortunate.  I have talked to both my doctor and my pharmacist about it...both of them concur, and it's not just one med, I take three daily, ALL of which have weight gain as a side effect.

At the risk of being labelled a "troll," I get a sense of shaming going on for those who aren't able to get out and run a decathlon.

I also have muscle/bone issues from a near-lifetime of violence to my person, put simply.  I basically had to learn to walk again at one point in my life, as a result of back injuries.  I have to see a chiropractor almost weekly to get some relief from the pain.  That's a hell of a lot better than popping Vicodin or OxyCodone, as I see it.  I am 46 and chances are by the time I'm 56, I will be walking with a cane.

My wife is a diabetic and does her best to manage it.  As soon as the doctor diagnosed her, he also referred her to nutrition classes as part of her treatment plan.  They've been successful for her, thank God, and now she doesn't have to take medication.

My mother was a diabetic, made no attempt to manage it, ate all the crap food she wanted.  She was almost blind at the time she died.  One of my maternal uncles was a double amputee from diabetes...didn't manage it either.

My doctor has said that 20 minutes of walking five days a week is good for me.  I try to do that.  I'm not always successful.

I quit drinking "regular" (sugared) pop over 20 years ago.  I quit drinking alcohol (except for Communion wine on Sunday morning) over a decade ago.  I try to practice portion control, even when I go out to eat.

Some of us do try, even with other obstacles.  My screen name, CyBorg, is only partially in jest as some days I feel like one.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

For those of you dusting off the gym membership cards or your personal home exercise equipment, I'd like to mention that if you're trying to lose weight DO CARDIO!  20 minutes is NOTHING.  When I was at my peak weight (almost 40 lbs heavier than I am today) I spent between 40 and 60 minutes doing cardio at least 5 days each week.  On the days of 40 minutes I would spend 20 minutes working out with some weights.

And FWIW, 90% of all home exercise equipment ends up not be used after 90 days.
Serving since 1987.

AngelWings

I've been running with a 25 pound rucksack on my back for a while now. I feel a new energy when I wake up now and I am looking better already! The weight is coming off, and inbetween my stresses of my biological dad dying yesterday, I've found this type of running to help me really keep my mind clear and to relieve stress! Along with a halfway decent diet with minimal carbs and controlled portions, my clothes are fitting much better. Thank you Stonewall!

EDIT: Step dad is fine, just not my biological one.