Main Menu

CAP Memorial

Started by BillB, April 29, 2010, 11:30:50 PM

BillB

With the 70th Anniversary coming up next year, I was wondering what ever happened to the CAP Memorial? Has the idea just been dropped?  Anyone knew what the status is?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AdAstra

Along that line (and seeing your GRW in your signature line), since 1974 we've hosted the Gill Robb Wilson Memorial Ceremony each Memorial Day. It's held at Wilson's gravesite at Forest Lawn Covina Hills. As emcee since 1985 or so, I include not just GRW but also our other fallen comrades.
Charles Wiest

BillB

The CAP Memorial I was asking about was (I think) designed by Major Jim Shaw. I also think I remember National gave approval and haven't heard anything since. But then again memory is the second thing to go with age.

(the first is hair)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyboy53

Perhaps we should catalog the ones that are out there now; like the display at the Air Force Museum or the various memorials at the different World War II bases.

Did you guys know that there's a stone bench at the Veteran's Memorial in  Olean, NY, that recognizes everyone in the Air Force including the CAP (the old command emblem is engraved on the top of the bench along with that of the ANG, AFRES, Air Force Seal, etc.

AdAstra

Display at the National Museum of the USAF? Are you talking about the CAP Hall of Honor? If so, it was taken down a couple of years ago. Anyone have photos of it?
Charles Wiest

BillB

I'm not talking about the various memorials, but only the one that would be "the National CAP Memorial". Granted there are memorials scattered around the country including Lantana here in Florida for Sub-Base 3. But the proposed memorial would consolidate into a single National Memorial the deeds of CAP and the sacrifices of members in WW II. or even after.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

N Harmon

I thought the national memorial was at national HQ.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

BillB

Not sure where it was going to be, Maybe CAPHISTORIAN can tell us if he checks CAPTalk.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

smitjud

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

FW

Quote from: BillB on April 30, 2010, 12:42:24 AM
The CAP Memorial I was asking about was (I think) designed by Major Jim Shaw. I also think I remember National gave approval and haven't heard anything since. But then again memory is the second thing to go with age.

(the first is hair)

The memorial is probably in storage; waiting to return to NHQ when the renovations are completed.

mynetdude

Doesn't CAP have a traveling museum or something and is this the same as the memorial the OP speaks of?

RiverAux

The National Curator in the past has brought displays of CAP patches around to Wing Conferences and the like. 

wingnut55

CAP NHQ seems to have a mental block about CAP members killed in the line of Duty, a strange way to be. Why should we even have to ask about : "Where is the CAP Dead Memorial" ?

How shameful of NHQ not to hold these people sacred, valiant Patriots, who sacrificed themselves as Volunteers no less. I suspect there are some very sorrowful stories of CAP aircrews Killed and the Families getting nothing and having to pay for the shipping of their body home like the WASPS had to. How many aircrews flew off into the dawns early light to disappear, maybe getting shot down by a German U-Boats machine gun?   

James Shaw

The glass for the memorial is currently sitting in my storage room. The metal framing is in Dayton, OH with  Lt. Col. Todd Engelman. It has been in storage since the NB in Atlanta. When we first presented this at the NB: Col Hodgkins suggested that it go out in the circle where the other memorials and such were at, at Maxwell. The question of care and maintaining came up and who would do that. Then the idea was to house it at National somewhere for members and other to see. That was put on hold due to the renovations. It still sits in storage with no "designated" home.

The members paid for this through donations to NHQ. I think that the upcoming 70th Anniversary would be a perfect time to "dedicate" this at NHQ for all of the members. I may need to start a campaign to do it, I am affraid it will get damaged.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

mynetdude

Quote from: caphistorian on May 01, 2010, 10:19:24 AM
The glass for the memorial is currently sitting in my storage room. The metal framing is in Dayton, OH with  Lt. Col. Todd Engelman. It has been in storage since the NB in Atlanta. When we first presented this at the NB: Col Hodgkins suggested that it go out in the circle where the other memorials and such were at, at Maxwell. The question of care and maintaining came up and who would do that. Then the idea was to house it at National somewhere for members and other to see. That was put on hold due to the renovations. It still sits in storage with no "designated" home.

The members paid for this through donations to NHQ. I think that the upcoming 70th Anniversary would be a perfect time to "dedicate" this at NHQ for all of the members. I may need to start a campaign to do it, I am affraid it will get damaged.

Glass in a metal framing would surely get damaged in a traveling mode and would less likely be damaged being anchored to one location at NHQ :).

I haven't seen a mobile museum before however I have seen mobile libraries, studios, medical facilities even a NASA exhibit on a tractor trailer. And probably too big for NHQ's budget and/or member donations but wouldn't it be cool to have a trailer that could house a traveling museum exhibit and an AE exhibit? All the items would be permanently setup inside so no damage would be done if it were built correctly.

Maybe if it were a local project and if it worked out it could be expanded for more widespread use. I am not avid with history, I like history but I prefer technology (kind of contradicting).

BillB

Major Shaw

Is there a concept drawing, or photo of the Memorial? I don't think many know exactly what the memorial is?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104