Main Menu

Boot insoles

Started by Spaceman3750, May 13, 2014, 12:51:03 AM

Spaceman3750

My Danner duty boots need new insoles. Wondering what everyone else is doing for good, comfy insoles. I was thinking about taking them to the local shoe repair shop and having some custom insoles done, but wanted to hear from wiser people first.

Garibaldi

Dr Scholl's, or those ones that you can get at Walmart where you have to stand on that machine and it tells you which one is right for you.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

I've used Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gels for years, and they work well. The ones related to the machine are, IMHO, overpriced ($50 a set) for what you are getting, unless you've got some really AFU feet, and then you should be getting them through a doctor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

I'm a big fan of Tuli's Heavy Duty Gel Heel Cups.  Relatively cheap, but have really helped on those long days when I'm on my feet.

Eclipse

My personal experience has been that insoles, etc., feel great when you first put them in, and
then you wind up with hotspots or blisters because your foot isn't seated in the shoe either
as designed or as it's worn in.

YMMV.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

My best result has been with the half length type, and always kick the heel to the floor as you get into it.

THRAWN

Buy new boots. COTS insoles are never going to be a perfect fit. They'll slip, bunch up, and make life generally miserable.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on May 13, 2014, 04:07:55 PM
Buy new boots. COTS insoles are never going to be a perfect fit. They'll slip, bunch up, and make life generally miserable.

Disagree. My Dr Scholls are a little sticky on the bottom, and once I trim them and stick them in the boot, they stay in one place. Proper trimming is essential. Many folks end up trimming off too much, and that causes most of the problems. Just using the marking on the insole will guarantee a bad fit. Trim a little, fit a little. Repeat until it's right.

I need all the arch support I can get, and these do the trick.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pingree1492

If you've got more than a quarter inch or so of wear on the outsole, I'd replace the entire boot.  You're just going to have issues with feet/knees/lower back if you keep wearing old boots (though, you probably don't wear them all day, every day, so not quite as important on this point for occasional wear).

Anyway, if you're boot is still pretty much good, I've had really good luck with the Dr. Scholl's boot insoles.  I have some knee issues, so I tend to get the ones designed for either knee or lower back relief (whatever is in stock at the PX at the time).  I definitely notice a difference- in fact, I always replace the boot insoles I get immediately with the Dr. Scholl's ones.  Maybe there's something to it, maybe it's just psychological, I don't know.

Either way, you should be able to get good quality insoles for no more than $20.  Just make sure you follow SarDragon's advice and trim the insole properly.  You probably already know this, but for the newer lurkers out there, take out the old insole! 
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)