Best iOS offline topo map app?

Started by jayleswo, December 02, 2013, 06:23:45 PM

jayleswo

I have taken a look at a few including Trimble's and Maps With Me Lite but would appreciate it if anyone has used any that they really like. I am looking for one with downloadable topo maps by region (state would be fine) to minimize storage space utilization, searchable for landmarks and cities (ELT is near Los Molinos, CA. Uh, where the heck is that!?), show roads as well as highways and airports. Nice to haves would be breadcrumbs I can export in various formats I can use with Google Earth since the IC and Air Ops or Planning like to know where I've been and I keep forgetting to turn on the Holux GPS Logger ;-).

Thanks!
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Huey Driver

It's a HUGE file, and could be more user-friendly, but 'You Need a Map' is pretty good. It's also free. I've used it numerous times on my iPad while out of cell coverage area, paired with a Dual Electronics GPS for navigating. Works well!

I'd give it a shot.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Jaison009

We used MapTech at my agency. They have a program called Terrain Navigator Pro that is decently priced. It also has a TNP app available.

Quote from: jayleswo on December 02, 2013, 06:23:45 PM
I have taken a look at a few including Trimble's and Maps With Me Lite but would appreciate it if anyone has used any that they really like. I am looking for one with downloadable topo maps by region (state would be fine) to minimize storage space utilization, searchable for landmarks and cities (ELT is near Los Molinos, CA. Uh, where the heck is that!?), show roads as well as highways and airports. Nice to haves would be breadcrumbs I can export in various formats I can use with Google Earth since the IC and Air Ops or Planning like to know where I've been and I keep forgetting to turn on the Holux GPS Logger ;-).

Thanks!

sardak

QuoteWe used MapTech at my agency. They have a program called Terrain Navigator Pro that is decently priced. It also has a TNP app available.
Except that TNP doesn't run on iOS except within a Windows emulator. However, for Windows I highly recommend TNP, http://www.terrainnavigator.com/Home/Index.  They have a SAR discount.

National Geographic Topo! was available for Mac but NG sold its soul to the devil and no longer sells Topo! as a desktop program.

Mike

Jaison009

Mike that is interesting info thanks for sharing.  Here is the app info https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/terrain-navigator-pro/id578306109?mt=8
[ author=sardak link=topic=18243.msg330993#msg330993 date=1386116119]
QuoteWe used MapTech at my agency. They have a program called Terrain Navigator Pro that is decently priced. It also has a TNP app available.
Except that TNP doesn't run on iOS except within a Windows emulator. However, for Windows I highly recommend TNP, http://www.terrainnavigator.com/Home/Index.  They have a SAR discount.

National Geographic Topo! was available for Mac but NG sold its soul to the devil and no longer sells Topo! as a desktop program.

Mike
[/quote]

rjacobs

There is also NeoTreks HD (iPad) and NewTreksGPS (iPhone).  The iPad app still doesn't seem to require a subscription, but the iPhone one does.  One drawback is that the app doesn't change orientation for landscape mode.  For the iPad app, the entire state of Colorado in max detail takes up just over 11GB.
Ralph Jacobs, Maj, CAP
COWG