Best vest for aviation? Bonus would be a PFD also!

Started by IAV8, April 15, 2013, 01:50:44 AM

IAV8

I'm out in NW Washington and fly over the water 70% of the time.  Does anyone know of a 24 hour vest that is comfortable to wear while flying and also has a PFD (Personal Flotation Device)?  I don't want to break the bank but at the same time don't want to be wishing a spent a few more bucks while floating in bay.  I split my time with ground work so a vest that I can wear on SAREX missions would be great.  Thanks for the help!
Capt. Donnelly

TarRiverRat

Dont know if this helps or not but you may find something from this site.  We used them in the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/inflatable-pfds?country=25

Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

MIKE

You may want to check if the automatic inflating ones are ok for use in aircraft... particularly the hydrostatic ones.
Mike Johnston

PHall

One thing to think about when wearing a vest in the aircraft. Flight control interferance!

If you're in a seat with access to the controls make sure your vest does not hinder flight control movement.

EMT-83

We wear the Mustang vests, and they don't interfere. You'd forget you have one on if it wasn't chaffing the back of your neck. You learn pretty quickly to turn your collar up.

PHall

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 18, 2013, 03:53:56 PM
We wear the Mustang vests, and they don't interfere. You'd forget you have one on if it wasn't chaffing the back of your neck. You learn pretty quickly to turn your collar up.

I was posting mostly towards the OP who said he wants to wear his "24 hour" vest in the aircraft.

Most 24 hour vests I've seen have been pretty bulky.

IAV8

Good point about the 24 hour vest.  I'm sure I wouldn't want to wear a bulky vest while flying. All that stuff can be stashed in the baggage compartment. Thanks for the good Leeds.
Capt. Donnelly

UH60guy

True- most anything can be stashed in the aircraft- but if you're doing overwater flying you will want the vest. Call my response colored by years of having to wear one in the Army, but the thought process is this:

In the event of an aircraft mishap, pretty much the only things guaranteed to be with you when you egress are what you're wearing. No way in heck am I going back into a smoking or burning aircraft to retrieve a radio, first aid pouch, etc. Same goes for ditching over water- once that prop and violent motion stops I'm getting out and away from the plane as soon as I can, and not going back for any reason.

I'd say a vest for overwater flying is pretty important. Of course, when you get to include what you believe you need in it you can make it a little more tolerable than the usual 24-hour packs. Go for a radio, first aid pouch, and signaling devices as a minimum (tailored to your requirements) and you can probably forego some of the other bulky items for a more comfortable fit.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Flying Pig

http://www.aerialmachineandtool.com/webshaper/store/viewProdPrinter.asp?pkProductItem=11

Well, you asked for the best.  Here is what I wear at work.  It will set you back about $1000.  I think they have different levels and other survival vests they manufacture also.  Its pretty much the same thing the military wears with the Air Warrior System. 

blackrain

I suppose at $1000 a pop you might be able to get 2-4 per wing (more if it's a large wing and issue out as needed and keep a standardized survival equipment load in each. I admit to spending an insane amount on CAP and flying over the years but that would be more than I would like to part with. Didn't notice if it was also in high viz colors.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

bosshawk

No, I've seen it and it is olive drab.  He does stand out with his bald head and his yellow helmet.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

blackrain

Quote from: bosshawk on April 20, 2013, 06:46:59 AM
No, I've seen it and it is olive drab.  He does stand out with his bald head and his yellow helmet.

Can he still  be in law enforcement after committing a "fashion felony" of that magnitude >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

Doesnt matter if you know what you are doing as long as you look good doing it!