Main Menu

L-Per Sensitivity Issue

Started by Corporal Punishment, April 16, 2022, 09:41:41 PM

Corporal Punishment

Hello everyone,
My L-Per has been having some issues regarding sensitivity. I have tried using other antennas and I have concluded that the receiver is the issue. It has about half of the sensitivity of other units. Does anyone know of any solutions for this?

PHall

Easiest thing is to check the antenna connections. Looking for a cracked or broken solder connection to the center pin of the connector.

James Shaw

Quote from: PHall on April 16, 2022, 10:05:12 PMEasiest thing is to check the antenna connections. Looking for a cracked or broken solder connection to the center pin of the connector.

I have found the same thing with the ones I have repaired over the years. I have also found that the "bread boards" may also have lost of dust and buildup that can be cleaned as well.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Corporal Punishment

I have checked the connections with the antenna and the inside of the unit is clean. I was comparing two different receivers and I was getting significantly lower sensitivity on my unit. I changed the batteries, and then I was getting very wack readings like I would have the sensitivity all the way down and I was getting half strength readings without anything transmitting. I ended up checking it again in the morning and it was acting regularly again. I read the manual and it seemed like light water damage from what I read in the manual, but it seems unlikely with the weather it has been used in recently.

JayCraswell

I've got the LPER manual for doing an alignment. If you have access to a service monitor it can be realigned to like new (Or better - ha)  email me IHATESPAM@gmx.com except replace the spam hating bit with refurbatron

Corporal Punishment

I have the manual as well, I just need to find someone with the equipment to do it because I don't have a sweep generator.

Craswell

As they age they tend to get out of alignment. I have the LPER manuals and have bench tuned half a dozen. As long as they are kept dry (And batteries don't leak) they are still pretty great.  I took the design of a Ham Radio 2 meter Foxhunting antenna that uses measuring tape for the elements (Thus they can get bent up and will flex back) I went for 3 elements which gives greater range and a more narrow "cut" azmuth.  If anyone needs copys of the LPER doc or wants the plans for my "flex Yagi" contact me at my refurbatron@gmx.com address or just call (505)333-9301. I don't want to re-tune every LPER but do such stuff for Minn Wing and if you do the paperwork might be talked into doing the odd one or two.  *Note had a member who told me the best way to DF was recv mode and then without looking at the meter just keep dialing down sensitivity and doing sweeps looking for where the signal is just above the noise (in one position) I did this on the last 3 ELT missions I've been on and its been dead on cuts everytime. Even at the airport with all the reflections. I asked him "how does this work so well"?  He said the dynamic range of human hearing is far better then any electronic circuit wired to a meter.