Lifesaving Award Scenario

Started by coastguard69, May 02, 2013, 11:16:12 PM

coastguard69

One of my fellow cadets donated blood to the Red Cross. The criteria for the award states (I believe) the  blood transfusions and organ donations do count. So, my question is, has he earned the award? If so, how would he go about applying for the award?
SCWG Encampment - 2012,2013
National Color Guard Competition(Commander) -
1st Place SCWG;3rd Place MER (March 2013)
GES,UDF,IS100,IS200,IS700,ICUT
Wright Brothers #22323 (December 2012)

EMT-83

Um, no. Read the regulation more carefully.

coastguard69

h. Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving. Awarded to members who save a human life,
but do not meet the criteria for the Bronze or Silver Medal of Valor. Members who are credited with
a save as a result of participation in a blood or organ transport mission will be awarded the basic
ribbon.
A silver star will be attached to the ribbon in recognition of lifesaving actions other than
blood or organ transport. Members who were previously awarded the ribbon for a save other than
blood or organ transport should attach a silver star to the ribbon. Subsequent awards are denoted by
the addition of bronze or silver clasps to the ribbon.

Could you please explain the highlighted quote a little more so I can understand it more carefully?

JayT

Quote from: coastguard69 on May 03, 2013, 12:15:04 AM
h. Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving. Awarded to members who save a human life,
but do not meet the criteria for the Bronze or Silver Medal of Valor. Members who are credited with
a save as a result of participation in a blood or organ transport mission will be awarded the basic
ribbon.
A silver star will be attached to the ribbon in recognition of lifesaving actions other than
blood or organ transport. Members who were previously awarded the ribbon for a save other than
blood or organ transport should attach a silver star to the ribbon. Subsequent awardis are denoted by

Could you please explain the highlighted quote a little more so I can understand it more carefully?

CAP used to preform live tissue transports. This was eligible for the Save Ribbon.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

coastguard69

I still don't understand. It's in the regs for the Lifesaving award, why would it be for another ribbon... btw the Save ribbon is the Lifesaving award

spaatzmom

Quote from: coastguard69 on May 03, 2013, 12:15:04 AM
ribbon
blood or organ transport should attach a silver star to the ribbon. Subsequent awards are denoted by

One of my fellow cadets donated blood to the Red Cross.     You opened with cadets who donated blood to the Red Cross.  That is entirely different from being credited for participation in a blood or organ transplant TRANSPORT MISSION.  While donation is always to be commended, it has little risk to the donor whereas transport of the material, usually involves flight and much greater risk to the transporter team.

lordmonar

Quote from: coastguard69 on May 03, 2013, 12:27:33 AM
I still don't understand. It's in the regs for the Lifesaving award, why would it be for another ribbon... btw the Save ribbon is the Lifesaving award
TRANSPORT.

Donating blood or organs.......is not a TRANSPORT mission.

Now....to answer your question.   The Lifesaving Award is approved at wing level.   So do a CAPF 120 and send it up the chain for approval.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Lifesaving Award .. bringing that donated blood, on demand, to the facility in order to save a patient that is on the table, waiting.

Not making a deposit at the blood bank.

Perhaps donating ones own blood, specifically on call, at that location, to be transfused into the victim, would count. But a deposit at the bank. Not even close to the spirit of the regulation, or the literal interpretation.

RiverAux

Might be able to count the time towards the community service award. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on May 03, 2013, 03:38:10 AM

How do you count the time?

Time to fill the bag? Time at the facility? Home-home? With a max of six donations per year (whole blood), it would take me, respectively, 120 years, 10 years, and 5 years, to accumulate the 60 hours needed for the award, based solely on blood donation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

How about this scenario.

During the SUI.....a certain SNCO refrained from taking the life of several of the inspectors..........does that count?

:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

Quote from: coastguard69 on May 02, 2013, 11:16:12 PM
One of my fellow cadets donated blood to the Red Cross. The criteria for the award states (I believe) the  blood transfusions and organ donations do count. So, my question is, has he earned the award? If so, how would he go about applying for the award?

Your cadet does not qualify for the Lifesaving Award by donating blood.  The section you are quoting was intended for aircrews who flew blood and organ transport missions.

The award is intended to recognize those who actively engage in the saving a life. Things like doing CPR or rendering lifesaving aid at an accident or involved in a save on a SAR.

Devil Doc

Does CAP even do TRANSPORT missions anymore?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

JeffDG

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 03, 2013, 11:25:08 AM
We always get one thrown in during our SAREVAL from the USAF folks.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on May 03, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
We always get one thrown in during our SAREVAL from the USAF folks.

Ditto.  It is still considered part of our core mission competencies.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NCRblues

I have done several blood transports and one "tissue" transport.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Flying Pig

If I recall, MTPs did not do the organ transports.  I think you had to be Inst/Commercial rated and they were two pilot crews?  If my kid was laying on the table waiting for his new kidney, I wouldnt want a 250hr private pilot bringing his organ.  I dont know when the last time one was done for real.  Now-a-days, I believe and EMS operator would get that call in CA. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 03, 2013, 03:05:05 PM

If I recall, MTPs did not do the organ transports.  I think you had to be Inst/Commercial rated and they were two pilot crews?  If my kid was laying on the table waiting for his new kidney, I wouldnt want a 250hr private pilot bringing his organ.  I dont know when the last time one was done for real.  Now-a-days, I believe and EMS operator would get that call in CA.

I'll take the 250 guys over no one.  The scenarios are generally in the Armageddon range / Katrina / Sandy, etc., where the whole system is stressed and moving the blood / medicine / organ, whatever
is just one more thing on the list that no one is left to do.  There are only so many assets to go around when things get legitimately dicey.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on May 03, 2013, 05:12:45 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 03, 2013, 03:38:10 AM

How do you count the time?

Time to fill the bag? Time at the facility? Home-home? With a max of six donations per year (whole blood), it would take me, respectively, 120 years, 10 years, and 5 years, to accumulate the 60 hours needed for the award, based solely on blood donation.

Its not like all the CSA time has to come from the same activity.  So, a few hours a year giving blood could be put in the mix of other activities.