Lurker: an insulting epithet that has no place on a CAP related site

Started by JTylerBallance, March 11, 2013, 06:05:31 AM

JTylerBallance

To label visitors as "LURKERS" when they first join is insulting to any CAP member who comes to this forum.   If anything, our members are quite the opposite from "lurkers."  Indeed, one will not find a more forthright bunch in America.

Please find a more complimentary name to affix to new users. You could use terms associated with flying, such as "Student Pilot", "Private Pilot" " IFR Pilot"  Transport Pilot, Mission Pilot...etc.

whatevah

Welcome to the Internet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

When you make your first post outside of this section, the lurker title will be replaced.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Woodsy

You're obviously not familiar with discussion forum lingo....  Relax.

JTylerBallance

I can't find the, "Delete This Account"  function.  Could you show me where that is?

SarDragon

There isn't one. Just don't log in any more, and leave. Turn out the lights, and close the door.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Quote from: JTylerBallance on March 11, 2013, 06:05:31 AM
To label visitors as "LURKERS" when they first join is insulting to any CAP member who comes to this forum.   If anything, our members are quite the opposite from "lurkers."  Indeed, one will not find a more forthright bunch in America.

Please find a more complimentary name to affix to new users. You could use terms associated with flying, such as "Student Pilot", "Private Pilot" " IFR Pilot"  Transport Pilot, Mission Pilot...etc.

Wow... Take a chill pill. Not everyone is a pilot in cap either..l i mean good lord man what happened if someone gets offended by "student pilot"!! ~ sarcasm btw..
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ColonelJack

Don'tcha just love it when people come in to your place for the first time and tell you how you should be doing things?

Besides, if "Lurker" bothered him, what reaction would we get to "Newbie"?

Sheesh.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 11, 2013, 10:40:41 AM
Don'tcha just love it when people come in to your place for the first time and tell you how you should be doing things?

Over at CadetStuff, we used to use to say "We host this site, our site, our rules.  The way you just arrived is like you coming into my living room, taking a big gigantic crap on my family room floor and complaining that I don't have the right flavor of potato chips."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Since he wants CAP terms, maybe poolie or w/e some encampments liked to use? I'm sure he would love that CAP associated term!

spaatzmom

Nothing wrong with being a lurker.  I was one for quite a while before my first post in order to get an idea of how this forum worked.  Saved me a lot of angst at times while waiting for the first post that truly inspired me to start typing.  I didn't take it as a personal insult, more of a hey I'm new to this so please be merciful if you disagree with my stance.  No harm no foul.

Eclipse

If you don't want to be considered a "lurker", don't sign up at all.   You can read all you want and will just show up as "guest".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

To the OP (who probably will never return anyway):  The title isn't perjorative.  It's simply an accurate term for a user who joins an Internet forum and reads but doesn't post.  Your mistake in assessing that term is to compare it to mean something outside of this forum: in a CAP or life context.  I'm sure many CAPTalk users and CAP members are not "lurkers" in real life.  Nobody is inferring that.

As to your suggestion for other user titles, we've survived just fine with our current setup for over eight years.   On top of that, the pilot-centric titles make little sense.  Not everyone in CAP or on CAPTalk is a pilot.  We purposefully avoided using CAP grade or CAP or military terminology for our user titles for the reason that it might imply status off of CAPTalk that wasn't true.  Wouldn't it be more confusing if a CFII who joins CAPTalk starts with "Student Pilot" under his username or a CAP Lt Col has "Lieutenant" under his username, etc.?   Terminology that has no other meaning in Civil Air Patrol or the military makes it clear that our titles don't reflect any status in CAP: merely an indication of one's level of participation on CAPTalk and nothing more.

As to your account nuking, you're free to simply not use your account again.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

IAV8

I'm making my first post in this forum. I guess this means I have to say goodbye to the lurker title.  I was starting to get used to it after 10 minutes of becoming a member. Looks like a good group. I'll have to get to work on my sig box. Shouldn't be hard I only have have 3 ribbons a pair of wings and a communications badge.

Is there a board for buying and selling uniform items?  I'm on the hunt!
Capt. Donnelly

Eclipse

Quote from: Donnelly on March 17, 2013, 03:13:57 AM
I'm making my first post in this forum. I guess this means I have to say goodbye to the lurker title.  I was starting to get used to it after 10 minutes of becoming a member. Looks like a good group. I'll have to get to work on my sig box. Shouldn't be hard I only have have 3 ribbons a pair of wings and a communications badge.

Is there a board for buying and selling uniform items?  I'm on the hunt!

See the "Marketplace" board.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Donnelly on March 17, 2013, 03:13:57 AMI'm making my first post in this forum. I guess this means I have to say goodbye to the lurker title.
If you keep posting only in this sub-forum, you can retain it.. :) These don't increase your post count.

IAV8

Capt. Donnelly

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cliff_Chambliss

If he doesn't like "lurker" why not FNG (funny, frecky, frumpy, fantastic, etc (pick whatever suits you) - New Guy).
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.