Uniforms Prior to Completion of Level 1

Started by kd8gua, November 14, 2009, 11:26:43 PM

kd8gua

I'm not sure if this belongs in Uniforms or Membership, but I figure it will be directed the appropriate way.

Currently I'm in progress with paperwork to re-join CAP, and just need to stop at a police station to get the fingerprint card done and turn in the paperwork. I hear that NHQ is being remodeled, so turnover on paperwork is taking longer.

I understand that I cannot wear any uniforms until NHQ reinstates my CAPID and all that good stuff. However, I also don't have access to eServices until that time, which means I can't start the Level 1 courses until that time.

Now, being the only person not in uniform in a well established sqaudron makes one, well... non-uniform. The 50-17 states that a member must complete Level 1 before being allowed to wear "USAF style CAP uniforms." This would, according to the regs, state a SMWOG cannot wear woodland BDU or any of the blues uniforms.

Does that mean a SMWOG prior to completion of Level 1 can wear Blue BDU, blazer, gray/white, and (if they really wanted) CSU?

At this point it becomes more of a uniform-only question, that being: CSU and gray/white do not cover SMWOG. Are CAP cutouts worn on the collar?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

vento

Quote from: kd8gua on November 14, 2009, 11:26:43 PM
Does that mean a SMWOG prior to completion of Level 1 can wear Blue BDU, blazer, gray/white, and (if they really wanted) CSU?

At this point it becomes more of a uniform-only question, that being: CSU and gray/white do not cover SMWOG. Are CAP cutouts worn on the collar?

You can also wear the Polo uniform.
No CAP cutouts on the white aviator shirt collar. No eupalet sleeve neither.

kd8gua

Forgot about the polo. So all CAP distinctive uniforms are acceptable until Level 1 is completed and in my file with NHQ?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

Eclipse

You are considered a member, with limited privileges, as soon as you sign your application and it is accepted by a unit CC.

From that day forward you are entitled to wear any uniform you want to, properly outfitted with appropriate grade (i.e. none), etc., as per 39-1.  The recommendation, generally, is to start simple with the golf shirt combo until you know CAP is for you and then work you way into other uniforms as you need them.

By the letter of 39-1, all members are required to have either the USAF-style blues or the aviator whites combo depending on which is an option for you (most units do not enforce this, and many are not even aware of the requirement, considering the golf shirt as the minimum which is incorrect).

Until your membership goes to "A" status and you complete level 1, you are not allowed to participate in ES, supervise cadets independently, or participate in other activities as indicated, however you may begin attending regular meetings and training while the FBI checks and your L1 is pending.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2009, 12:14:03 AM
You are considered a member, with limited privileges, as soon as you sign your application and it is accepted by a unit CC.

From that day forward you are entitled to wear any uniform you want to, properly outfitted with appropriate grade (i.e. none), etc., as per 39-1.

Ahh, negative, Ghost Rider....

Quote from: CAPR 50-17
3-1. Participation.
CAP requires senior members to complete Level I training prior to receiving any assigned duty position in the unit, working
with cadets, being allowed to wear the Air Force-style CAP uniform, becoming eligible for promotion, or enrolling in
AFIADL courses.

kd8gua

That's what I had read as well, so does that mean CAP distinctive are ok until Level 1 is complete?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

RiverAux

I wouldn't worry about it.  Its most likely you're going to get your membership card and complete level 1 in a month or two.  In the meantime, everyone knows you're a new member and doesn't expect you to be in uniform right away. 

kd8gua

Well, I have complete and current blues as well as BDUs. When I decided to pursue CAP once again, I looked through the 39-1 and made sure to update all uniform parts as needed. I also have no problem buying white aviator shirts (have gray pants) and blue BDUs just to add more uniform combinations should I ever enter a situation in which a CAP distinctive uniform is necessary
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

ßτε

You can start on the Foundations Modules portion of Level 1 before you get an eServices account.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations_course.cfm

JoeTomasone

Quote from: kd8gua on November 15, 2009, 12:59:56 AM
That's what I had read as well, so does that mean CAP distinctive are ok until Level 1 is complete?

Yes.   That's my interpretation, anyway.   I seem to recall (as has been suggested) not wearing a uniform until L1 was complete (which was very quick).    I had a similar situation as yourself; former Cadet who came back after a long non-membership to the Dark Side. 

If your intention is to wear USAF-style upon completing L1 and you really want to get in uniform right away, I'd go with the white/grey since you will still be able to wear it if some day you need to get into uniform and didn't have time to get a haircut, etc.    As you have probably read, the CSU is going away, but since you won't have to buy USAF butterbars for it, you can go with that as well and not waste cash, but I'd still take the time to complete the white/grey.

My $0.02.

a2capt

..and this 'well established' unit has not ever had anyone join it and not have a uniform for a month?

NHQ is slower than usual, by a little, but I reckon by the time you assemble a uniform that it almost sounds like you'll use very little once the other details are taken care of.. I'd just skip it and wait. You sign up, offer to mail the paperwork to national yourself after the CC' signs it even, if you want to make sure every available minute is not wasted. It gets there, and spits a card. We've had the CAPID show up in eServices in as little as the end of the week when we sent them in, or Monday following the weekend. (We'd mail on Wed.). Typically it takes about a week, but it's happened sooner.

Here's the form, fill it out and

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/F012_15378C3760422.pdf

Look up your dues amount:

http://capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/member_services/membership_dues.cfm

There's an off chance someone can roll your prints at the unit, too. We do our own for our people. As a pointer, we do two fingerprint cards for each one, and send them both in. Just incase there's something they don't like about it, they have another one. We've never had a problem with it.

GroundPounder73

CAP NHQ allows roll your own fingerprints. I cant imagine that. When i started teaching I had to go to the nearest State Police barracks.

Climbnsink

I've seen a unit that had their own fingerprint kit and printed new members.  As long as the prints are legible and someone is printing the right person where is the problem.   

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Climbnsink on November 17, 2009, 05:03:06 PM
I've seen a unit that had their own fingerprint kit and printed new members.  As long as the prints are legible and someone is printing the right person where is the problem.

The honor system, apparently.

Climbnsink

You would need a CAP member who has been around long enough to be working on signing up new members to conspire with a person joining to turn in a third set of prints in order to get someone with a criminal history into CAP.  I don't see it happening.   

Short Field

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 17, 2009, 05:16:00 PM
The honor system, apparently.

The honor system is what most of CAP is all about....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

There's no issue with doing your own printing, as long as you do it properly.

The print cards are not validate by the LEA when they are done - the printer usually signs the card, but there's no internal checking to see who the person doing the printing is, or that they validated the recruit's identity.

Its just ink on paper.

The biggest issue I've seen for a lot of units is that most departments have moved to Livescan and have to dig out the old-school ink kits, assuming they are willing to help.

"That Others May Zoom"