Main Menu

Which road to follow?

Started by James Shaw, October 14, 2009, 03:14:38 PM

James Shaw

I know that this forum is made up of people from all walks of life. That is why I want to ask an opinion question on persuing higher education. Some quick background info and the things I am looking at. All opinions are welcome. I seperated from my job August 30th and I am currently searching.

12 Years manufacturing experience. Primarily in the areas of Industrial Safety, Training, Leadership.
Past work - Deputy Sheriff, Low Voltage Installer, Martial Arts School Owner, Cryptologist (Navy), Intelligence Analyst (GANG), Radio Shack Store Manager.

Extensive training in Emergency Management, OSHA, Training, Manufacturing Development.

Current education.
BS - Human Resource Management 2009
AAS Business Administration 2006
AAS Manufacturing Technology 2003

What I am leaning towards-
MBA and build on HR foundation
MPA - leaning towards government work

Or another program emphasising Labor Law & Labor Relations
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

MIKE

How is this relevant to Civil Air Patrol as a Membership issue?  You don't need a masters to advance as a CAP officer.
Mike Johnston

James Shaw

Quote from: MIKE on October 14, 2009, 03:25:32 PM
How is this relevant to Civil Air Patrol as a Membership issue?  You don't need a masters to advance as a CAP officer.

I know that we have all kinds of backgrounds within CAP. Just a professional opinion from fellow CAP members. It is not directly related to CAP, I just value my fellow members opinions and they may say something that "sparks" what I may be missing. I could be bias in my own beliefs. If this violates and forum rules please feel free to remove.
Jim Shaw

heliodoc

caphistorian.....

Same boat... separated from a major State natural resource agency and looking in the same general direction
MPA in either EM or Public Administration itself.

I would imagine MIKE might be afraid this forum would turn into a Linkedin type of networking forum.... might agree but with alot of CAPers out of work or hours reduced...you know the deal...why not?

I am still trying to get a fix on those online U's that advertise PA and EM Masters degrees ..but for 350+ per credit hour and sometime 1800 per 3 credit hour class is a little too much to stomach while unemployed.

Don't know how to say it...  keep your chin up my man, I have been separated for 4 months now...at least I got a garage project to keep my mind off of it right now.

Tubacap

If you decide a degree is for you, check out

www.amu.apus.edu
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

capchiro

With your varied background and your intelligence (we have spoken), I believe you would be happy with a law degree.  A law degree would give you the flexibility to work with the government if benefits and future retirement are considerations.  A law degree will actually let you work in almost any field in some fashion or the other.  With the recession, taking time to go back to school would be a good move.  Student loans are cheap now and the interest is fairly low, plus a new law will soon write off your student loan if you work for a non-profit or government entitiy for 5 years or so.  A masters may take 1-2 years, where a law degree, JD, will take 3, but a masters doesn't give you much clout these days, especially the online ones.  Just a thought, but as someone once said to me, "Three years from now you will either be walking across that stage as a lawyer, or you will be standing at that window, looking out and saying, You know what, I could have been a lawyer today."    Either way, the three years will pass.  If I can be of more assistance, just let me know. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

cappilot

One of the questions that popped into my mind was why the HR degree?  If you are looking to go into the HR world then an MBA is essential.  If you want to get a JD that focuses on Labor relations it is possible to get one at GA State or UGA.  Be mindful however that getting a JD on a part-time basis, because you are working, will take 4-5 years.

For an MBA I would recommend the Georgia Tech program.  It, by itself, will open a lot of doors.
Lt. Col. David Austin CAP
Peachtree City, GA

Cecil DP

Visit the school you're considering applying to, or the school you received your BS from and ask to speak to an admissions counselor. Some universities will allow you to make a degress that combines both the MPA and MBA. What is your career goal?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

bosshawk

Major Shaw: my 02cts worth.  Decide what you want to do with the rest of your working life.  Then go for the degree that will get you on that road.  The career decision seems to me to be the first decision: the rest will follow naturally.

I have personal experience.  I was an Intel Officer in the Army with a BA in American History from Bucknell Univ.  When I got back from VN, I looked into MA programs and, since I was in Intel, I decided to go for an MA in International Relations.  Did it at Johns Hopkins Univ and never looked back.  Spent an entire career in MI in the Army and then worked at CIA.  Always considered my educational choices some of the best decisions that I made.  For whatever reasons, they always got me the jobs that I sought.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

James Shaw

Well folks after alot of thinking I have taken the plunge. I have enrolled in ACSC and looking into an MPA. I have the time at the moment and do not know how my work situation will be. I cant just sit around doing nothing. I appeciate all of the input. The law school option did not pan out due to my location and my wifes work. cost to much to move and both cant afford to be out of work.

ACSC here I come.

Thanks to all who responded.
Jim Shaw