Main Menu

who can it be?

Started by Dutchboy, October 03, 2009, 06:48:50 AM

Dutchboy

Who is allowed to be a Instructors or course directors for Level I. Is the squadron Commander the only one allowed to do the review of the test they take for review ?

CadetProgramGuy

Nope, you can be one.  Just ask your Squadron CC and you will be the guy.

SarDragon

I would expect a Level I instructor to have been in CAP long enough to be extremely well grounded in all aspects of what is being taught. That includes history, C&C, uniforms, and the general culture of CAP. I would also expect some instructor skills to go along with that knowledge. I have seen too many unskilled experts trying to teach Level I to our new SMs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on October 03, 2009, 07:03:09 AM

Maybe in your Wing. Different Wings have different rules.
In California Wing, for example, all Level 1 Instructors are appointed by Wing.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 03, 2009, 04:30:34 PM

What? Why? Level I is a function of the Unit CC by design.

"That Others May Zoom"

Camas

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2009, 04:47:58 PM
Your point is well taken given that the unit CC is the only one who has access to the Foundations training which is found only in the Commander's Corner in e-services. I've always felt that all PDO's should also have access to this resource. While the unit CC has ultimate responsibility for completion of this training it's logical that this is something that should be delegated to a PDO unless, of course, the unit is so small that only the CC can accomplish it.

PHall

The reason given is "Standardization of Instruction".

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 03, 2009, 06:29:17 PM
The reason given is "Standardization of Instruction".

Does that equal "too long to complete" in a wing as big as CAWG?

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Camas on October 03, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
the unit CC is the only one who has access to the Foundations training which is found only in the Commander's Corner in e-services.

My wife (asst PDO) printed it all out and put it in a notebook.  She carries it to all the meetings just in case we have someone ready to finish Level 1.  The only bad thing is she makes me do the Summary Conversation.    >:( 

There is no reason you have to get on eServices to complete a member's Level One training.  Complete the Fm 11 and send it to National.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

That is a recent program change. Up until then, Level I instructors had to go through a short training pipeline - sit in one, help teach one, and teach one under observation - before being certified.

At my unit, we currently have two members (CC and PD) who conduct Level I training.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dhon27

Well, I have my Testing Officer do the conversation in an abundance of caution.  Specifically, the instructions for the Summary Conversation Guide state "Since this guide contains quiz answers, please treat the contents in accordance with CAPR 50-4, Test Administration and Security."   And since that regulation states that commanders may not serve as a TCO or Test Administrator, I figured I'd be on the safe side and have the Testing Officer "administer" the summary conversation for new members.   And, yes, I realize I maybe being overcautious!  YMMV

ThorntonOL

What happened to the Professional Development requiremnet for one to teach a Level One?
Yes I know not a lot of SMs make it that far but still they need to be able to complete that task.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Short Field

The following is from the Knowledgebase in eServices.  Note it is the mentor who is conducting the Summary Converation.

QuoteThe commander appoints a mentor for new members of the unit.  The mentor should be someone with enough experience to be familiar with the operation of the unit and wing. The mentor should be able to share knowledge of the organization and an understanding of CAP's core values of Integrity, Volunteer Service, Excellence, and Respect. Finally, the mentor should help new members understand their role in CAP by providing a model of desired behavior.
The commander provides a copy of the Summary Conversation to the mentor. The summary conversation is intended as a one-on-one wrap-up activity between a mentor and a new member.  The commander ensures a CAPF 11 is completed and submitted to National Headquarters, crediting the new senior member with completing Level One. See below details from the Summary Conversation for the mentor and the unit commander.

[quote/]
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

arajca

Quote from: ThorntonOL on October 04, 2009, 10:11:26 PM
What happened to the Professional Development requiremnet for one to teach a Level One?
Yes I know not a lot of SMs make it that far but still they need to be able to complete that task.
That has been changed to  conducting a summary discussion with a new member in the latest update of CAPR 50-17.