Wow.....three pages and ??

I got lost about three times.
Well,.. at least it aint a uniform thread. >:D
We can fix that... :angel:

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: notaNCO forever on September 10, 2009, 07:52:27 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 10, 2009, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: dogboy on September 10, 2009, 06:36:04 PM

The California Wing conference is scheduled during Rosh Hashanah.

My suggestion would be that units with potentially a strong Jewish presence at least consider the calendar. Other units should at least honor these three holidays.

Why??  We are supposed to leave religious teachings at the door.  We are not supposed to be the local church.  Canceling meetings due to Jewish Holidays is as much of a hit against a non-Jew as having a meeting during a Jewish Holiday is to a Jew. 

Lets all leave our religion out of CAP.  If you can't make a meeting due to Religion, all that is needed is a phone call or email to your Commander stating; "I can not make it to the meeting on ________".  PERIOD

If we started this, then We would never get any work done.

I feel for those that can not attend CAP due to religion, but you made a choice regarding your religion, and that choice was yours and only yours.  No one is stopping you from coming or going, and if they are.......that becomes an IG issue. 

As for those members who don't meet on a particular religious holiday (of which you are not affiliated), tell your Commander: "that practice MUST stop".  If he or she will not listen, Go to the next level in the chain of command.

Now....the only time CAP units should not meet.......FEDERAL Holidays.

So your squadron has meetings on Christmas if your meeting night is that night?

Christmas...much to the chagrin of many christians, has far transcended religious meaning for many, many people.

Gunner C

That is so true. But it happens to just about every group.  My grandfather, a Polish Jew, loved the holiday season - loved them all.  He combined, when they were close together, Hanukkah and Christmas and enjoyed New Years.  He loved the parties, the gifts, getting together with family and friends, but he, unfortunately, forgot the meaning behind the holiday.

In my family, we keep the gift-giving to a minimum and maximize the story behind the holiday.  My wife and I make sure we spend time with family and don't usually go to parties and stuff.  My kids love Santa at the mall, but they know what the meaning behind the tradition of giving gifts.  We also do acts of service and try to make sure that anyone we know who's alone has a place to go (our place).

Whether a member goes to CAP meetings on holidays is, of course, up to them.  A unit needs to determine wisely if they're going to knowingly schedule events on major religious holidays.  If a chaplain is doing their job, they should advise the commander on these matters.  I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they're not an important part of they unit just because they're religious.  I costs pennies more to go first class.

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Spike

Gunner C

Quote from: AirDX on September 15, 2009, 05:19:08 PM
Festivus for the Rest of Us!

Well, that's the last time I ever talk about childhood memory.  What a jerk.  >:( My grandfather was FAR from some STUPID Seinfeld caricature.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on September 15, 2009, 11:12:34 PM
Quote from: AirDX on September 15, 2009, 05:19:08 PM
Festivus for the Rest of Us!

Well, that's the last time I ever talk about childhood memory.  What a jerk.  >:( My grandfather was FAR from some STUPID Seinfeld caricature.

I didn't take that to be remotely related to this - simply a reaction to a thread which has outlived its useful life.  I can't believe I left George's family on the table that long...

"That Others May Zoom"