Main Menu

Unit Locater Feature

Started by MIKE, May 29, 2008, 07:29:40 PM

MIKE

I miss the old Unit Locater... Used to have a map of the USA that you could click on a state and get all the units in that wing.  Find nearest is nice, but I would like to see the old map come back as another option. 
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

I think the current system is just horrible.  I suppose it is ok if all you're interested in is looking for a unit in a very specific location, but if you were interested in say all the units in a state, you couldn't get that info very easily.  Yes, there are some other alternatives for CAP members to get that sort of info, but not the public. 

kpetersen

Step 1) Or we just make the sqdn webmasters have sites like these:

http://newg.cap.gov/Squadrons/default.asp
http://www.sdcap.us/squadrons.shtml
http://www.njwg.cap.gov/units/sqloc.html

(Don't feel like searching out all the wings sites)

Step 2) make easier access to the individual wing websites from national's site.

Step 3) this encourages wings to update/improve the sites :)
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

DrDave

Go here for a list of CAP units by state, then alphabetized by city within each state:

level2.cap.gov/documents/Unit_Directory.pdf

I believe it's updated annually.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

SarDragon

Quarterly. This used to be a printed item sent to the units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

Quote from: SarDragon on May 30, 2008, 01:46:36 AM

I wish it still was sent... Emailed to commanders/members would be fine....

even better would be changing our unit locater feature..... any commercial store locater application can be used... its not hard to find one... there are many.... to see them in action one would just need to go to any national store's website and pick the one that would better fit our needs....

There is NO excuse for this issue not to have been addressed long before this topic began. There is also NO excuse for this not to be one of the next updates to the website.... ::Hint Hint::

Why is this important?

• Current & Membership WILL use it...
  • Perspective members WILL use it
  • Other information seekers will use it
  • Members of the media MIGHT use it  ::)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Quote from: RiveraJ on May 31, 2008, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 30, 2008, 01:46:36 AM
Why is this important?

• Current & Membership WILL use it...
  • Perspective members WILL use it
  • Other information seekers will use it
  • Members of the media MIGHT use it  ::)

We have new members in my unit who found out about CAP and our unit via the existing online locater, so it must be somewhat functional.

The store locater app sounds like a good deal, but who are you going to get to do it? 1540 "stores" is a pretty big chain, with a much smaller advertising department than someplace like Sears or Penney's. Somehow, I think we have bigger fish to fry right now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Tubacap

I wonder if NHQ ever thought about putting out a "Wish List" with specs on what programs/apps/grants they would like and then have the general membership work on them and submit their work for approval.

Thoughts?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Tubacap on June 02, 2008, 10:16:33 PM
I wonder if NHQ ever thought about putting out a "Wish List" with specs on what programs/apps/grants they would like and then have the general membership work on them and submit their work for approval.

Thoughts?

Great idea... i know of people who would jump at the chance to help... people who get paid... well lets just say lots of money to do these things professionally... They might not have the time/desire to be director of CAP/IT but they might love to take a specific project/idea and get it completed...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Ricochet13

Have noticed a discrepancy between information provided by the online unit locator and the list of units mailed when a prospective member requests information by mail. 

The list sent to prospective members was out of date and inaccurate when compared to the list generated online.  Trying to bring that to someone's attention. 

The information about units sent by mail actually had information that was more than two years out of date.

RiverAux

Your best bet would probably be to contact NHQ public affairs.  Not sure what the source of their information is, but in the past we have had some problems getting changes in meeting times noted in the CAPWATCH database, which is probably where the info is coming from. 

hatentx

The crappy thing about the unit locater is that the unit need to update the info.  I am here looking for a unit and the two closes unit websites dont work nor do the phone numbers.  I have to go and get lucky to find where they meet and hope it is the same time as what is on the locater.  Good luck to me

JC004

We should use Google Maps API.

Camas

Quote from: hatentx on June 08, 2008, 10:41:09 PM
The crappy thing about the unit locater is that the unit need to update the info.

And it's so simple to accomplish. Go to "Organizational Contact" in e-services; update the information and it's a done deal.

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JC004

Quote from: RiveraJ on June 10, 2008, 04:40:28 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 08, 2008, 11:03:20 PM

I agree

I'd be interested in doing it if some others could help too, and National would be interested.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on June 10, 2008, 05:20:04 AM
Quote from: RiveraJ on June 10, 2008, 04:40:28 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 08, 2008, 11:03:20 PM

I agree

I'd be interested in doing it if some others could help too, and National would be interested.

I will help, but I want a Google t-shirt   :D
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 10, 2008, 02:50:17 PM

you and everyone else. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on June 10, 2008, 07:15:06 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on June 10, 2008, 02:50:17 PM

you and everyone else. 

but.......ME first.  I know where you live, I know what bar you drink at and I know ways of burning things down to make it look like you did it.  So....when can I expect my shirt??   8) 8) 8)
What's up monkeys?