Who sits on your finance committee?

Started by jeders, May 18, 2015, 03:08:49 PM

jeders

Aside from the two required people, how do you decide who sits on your finance committee?

When I was previously a squadron commander, I chose the members of my finance committee based on individuals in the squadron who were regularly involved, regardless of duty position. I also tried to keep the committee relatively small, but I've seen some that had 7 or more. What I did worked for me, but it's the only form I tried. I'd like to know what works best for others.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Wow...our Wing Finance Committee is only 7!  Anything more than that is difficult to manage to make sure you have a quorum of members signing things.

FW

Aside from the restrictions and requirements noted in CAPR 173-1, it's pretty much left up to the unit commander.  Your choices seemed wise. Active participating members are a great choice to be involved in financial planning and decision making; especially as a motivational tool to get someone to eventually replace you.

Spam

I've set Department heads in my unit, who represent their functional teams on the committees:

S1 Dept. (Admin), includes DP, DA, AC
S2 Dept. (Cadet Programs, vice Intel), includes AE, PT, Character Development
S3 Dept. (Operations), includes DO, DOS, Comm
S4 Dept. (Logistics), includes IT as well as LG/LGS/LGT

So, every officer has a Dept. head mentor, and each head represents their team on my Committees, bringing up and defending funding proposals (i.e. need new office stuff, need color guard gear, new radios, need new router, etc.):

Finance Committee: Commander, Deputy Commander, 4 Dept. Heads, plus Finance Officer.
Membership Committee: CC, CD, 4 Dept. Heads
Awards Committee: same, plus Personnel.. you get the picture.
It seems like a bunch, but that helps with getting a quorum to get an action done - and provides checks and balances on having only two to three people calling the shots on the money.

V/R,
Spam

lordmonar

We basically do the same thing.

Finance committee is the FA, the CC and the major 4-5 staff officers/NCOs in the unit.

That way you can always get the required 3 you need to sign off a check request or expenditure.

The point of the financial committee is that no one person has sole access and/or control over the money.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP