Main Menu

Transferring Squadrons

Started by Cloud Nine, May 10, 2014, 10:42:33 PM

Cloud Nine

Hello everyone.

I am a cadet and I plan to transfer squadrons in the near future.
How would you recommend going about doing so, such as bringing up my intentions with my leadership? Who exactly in my chain of command should I speak to first? And how long does the process of transferring usually take?

Thanks.

Eclipse

Discuss it with your Commander or Deputy for Cadets.

Once informed, hand-carry your records to the new squadron and the new CC or CDC will initiate the transfer.

This assumes you've discussed transferring with the new unit and they are on board.

It also pre-supposes you are not currently in any sort of suspended or disciplinary state.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cloud Nine

Thank you. I am currently in good standing at my current location, and I have discussed the idea of me transferring with a majority of the leadership at the new unit.

Panache

Quote from: Av8r_anonymous on May 10, 2014, 10:48:35 PM
Thank you. I am currently in good standing at my current location, and I have discussed the idea of me transferring with a majority of the leadership at the new unit.

I have to ask:  Why is the majority of the leadership transferring?

Cloud Nine

Quote from: Panache on May 11, 2014, 02:24:57 AM
Quote from: Av8r_anonymous on May 10, 2014, 10:48:35 PM

I have to ask:  Why is the majority of the leadership transferring?

I apologize if that was worded in such a way that it was unclear as to what I was trying to say. I am the only person transferring. I have discussed my intentions with the leadership of that unit.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Kind of like changing jobs...don't burn any bridges and don't slag off your previous unit, no matter what you may think of it/them personally.

When I made my last transfer some years ago, I notified my unit CC in person that I was looking to do so, and that it had to do with distance and nothing with the unit or him.

I e-mailed the CC of the "new" squadron and cc'd it to my current unit CC.

After deciding to make the transfer, I formally requested - in writing - for my unit CC to make the transfer.

After all, you quite possibly will be seeing some of the people you served with at Group/Wing/Region/National activities, and you don't want it to be awkward if possible.

Most of my former unit are still my friends on Facebook. ;)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

I was making a lateral shift, and my CC was called by the group DC (former CC of the unit) to let him know it may happen. Once official, I let him know in person, my reasons, thanked him for his influence on me as a cadet/SM, etc. Didn't work out, ended up back in my unit, but there it is.

Cloud Nine

Thank you for the information. I intend to keep a low profile during this entire thing, and I do hope this transfer will be smooth and not awkward.

MSG Mac

Nothing awkward about transferring, most of the members of CAP-TALK have done it several times. The only difficulty is getting into sync with the new unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

Quote from: Av8r_anonymous on May 11, 2014, 01:20:39 PM
Thank you for the information. I intend to keep a low profile during this entire thing, and I do hope this transfer will be smooth and not awkward.

It could be awkward. Where I am at, we have three Squadrons for Cadets 15 minutes away. One west, one east and one south. My three youngest children each picked a different one. With Squadrons that close you can pick and choose which will give you a better Staff assignment, more Ranger like, cuter female Cadets, etc, etc.

But if you are moving with your family, it is what it is.  8)

Eclipse

The Wing CC should be paying more attention here and closing 1-2 of those units. 

Unit should not be competing against each other for members, nor being played against
each other because one is more different then the other.

Not to mention the logistics in your personal case.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

I happen to be in the middle point. People who live in "A" is 30+ minutes away from "B". Same thing with "C". Close "B" and parents will have to take their Cadets 45 minutes to an hour to "A".

I agree Units should not compete against each other for members, but it happens. But then Wing should not harvest the best Senior Members, like wise Group HQs too. You get an exceptional new member in your Unit and soon he has a SQ hat, a GP hat and a Wing hat and we will burn him out quickly.   8) 

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 12, 2014, 08:09:02 PMBut then Wing should not harvest the best Senior Members, like wise Group HQs too. You get an exceptional new member in your Unit and soon he has a SQ hat, a GP hat and a Wing hat and we will burn him out quickly. 

Agreed 100% - this calls back to the retention issues and program shrinkage.

In my personal case, when I stepped down recently, the more then capable (arguably more qualified) person who
took my place was culled from a Group position where he was the cornerstone of the ES program not to mention part
of the command staff - Paul was happy but Peter is >VERY< sad.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2014, 07:49:50 PM
The Wing CC should be paying more attention here and closing 1-2 of those units. 

Unit should not be competing against each other for members, nor being played against
each other because one is more different then the other.

Not to mention the logistics in your personal case.
Who said they were competing......if the community can support them....more power to them.  We have had this conversation before.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 08:42:33 PM
Who said they were competing......if the community can support them....more power to them.  We have had this conversation before.[/quote]

PI already explained his personal situation, as to the macro conversation, show me the numbers.

Units these days are placed at the whim of the CC, or because of an available facility, with ZERO planning
or demo studies in most wings as to where they actually should be.

I've seen everything from two units meeting in the same building on separate nights because
the people can't get along, to failing units in pitch-dark rural areas with nothing but farms in 20-mile circles
and then people wondering why they can't get members.

One more simple thing made CAP-difficult because of lack of leadership.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cloud Nine

I'm simply transferring because my current squadron hasn't been a very good fit for me for awhile now. In addition to being a better fit, the new unit also just happens to be a bit closer.