Main Menu

Up or out

Started by Garibaldi, April 29, 2014, 11:47:55 PM

SunDog

Cool! Haven't been any empty shirts amoung the ones I've known, either. .

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 29, 2014, 11:47:55 PM
I know we've discussed cadet progress and lack of it, but what if a SM stalls for whatever reason? Is there an up or out policy for SMs? I probably should know this...

The reason I ask is that I have no plans to progress any further than I have already. I don't possess a BA/BS so doing an extension course is out. I cannot afford to take a week off for RSC.

No.

I never thought I would go to RSC either but unemployment was boring, so what the heck.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 30, 2014, 12:48:37 PM
Perhaps my perspective is a little different from most I have read on this thread, but while folks are content to just come in and do the job they enjoy (MP, MO, GTL, etc)--and those jobs are the important ones--the other, less glamorous and possibly less enjoyable ones still have to be done by someone. If not you, who? Probably someone who would rather be doing the cool jobs, too.

I see PD progression as an opportunity to become a contributor to the running of the organization, without which the 'fun' jobs can't be supported. I encourage folks after they get their feet wet to look at taking on one of the 'overhead' positions (admin, personnel, logistics, etc) in addition to the high-speed, low-drag positions. Otherwise, a small cadre has to stay inside and keep house while the rest of the kids get to go out and play.

In my perfect world, a member has three jobs each: a mission position (MP, MO, GTL, GTM, etc), a mission base staff position (you need to have something to do between sorties anyway!), and a unit 'overhead' position. That sort of spreads the wealth and lets everyone play.

I agree sir, 100%. Everyone can not be "Rambo" so somebody has to be the 'director'.  8)