Main Menu

Types of Squadrons

Started by NorCal21, June 03, 2013, 09:00:18 PM

NorCal21

Quote from: spaatzmom on June 07, 2013, 08:07:55 PM

Good luck with your intentions in a wing that is very pro cadet.

What do I care if they are pro-cadet? I'm not taking anything away from that mission or cadets in general. If that is the case in Florida it should leave me a lot of room to make headways with SM programs.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 07, 2013, 08:25:09 PM

What do I care if they are pro-cadet? I'm not taking anything away from that mission or cadets in general. If that is the case in Florida it should leave me a lot of room to make headways with SM programs.

I think what she meant was that even if you find a senior squadron of your liking, that sooner or later you will have some interaction with cadets due to the strong focus on Cadet Programs in FLWG and CAP in general. Most activities are either focus on cadets or have some sort of cadet participation. There's nothing wrong with joining a senior squadron (I belonged to one once), but you may limit your CAP opportunities if you only work within that senior squadron.

NorCal21

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2013, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: NorCal21 on June 07, 2013, 08:25:09 PM

I think what she meant was that even if you find a senior squadron of your liking, that sooner or later you will have some interaction with cadets due to the strong focus on Cadet Programs in FLWG and CAP in general. Most activities are either focus on cadets or have some sort of cadet participation. There's nothing wrong with joining a senior squadron (I belonged to one once), but you may limit your CAP opportunities if you only work within that senior squadron.

Yeah probably she did. I was just in a bad mood earlier and it probably affected my reading of her post. Yeah as I said though I don't mind working with cadets. I have often in my CAP tenure. I just prefer the senior side because i work with CAP for emergency management to get more experience and further my professional career. As a member of a senior squadron I've always been able to do that pretty easily, but with cadet squadrons that goal was pretty non-existent.

I understand that my opportunities may be limited, but as I barely have time to make one meeting a month as it is I don't know that possibility would be any different than my current situation anyway! ;-p

Private Investigator

I agree that there is a place for everyone in CAP. I am considering going to a Senior Squadron for the same reason.

NorCal21

Well unfortunately for me the closest senior squadron from my current residence is 46 miles. Meetings starting at 7 means I'd be driving through rush hour traffic even if I left at six so more likely I'd have to leave at 5. I'm not driving two hours! Each way!

Looks like I won't be transferring into FLWG. Oh well. Haha, I guess my old squadron can keep me on the rolls. I keep up to date on safety so its not like they need to worry.

Private Investigator

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 09, 2013, 04:58:02 AMLooks like I won't be transferring into FLWG.

To bad ALWG was not closer. If my grandchildren put me in a senior center in Florida, they are out of my will   8)

NorCal21

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 09, 2013, 08:22:34 PM
Quote from: NorCal21 on June 09, 2013, 04:58:02 AMLooks like I won't be transferring into FLWG.

To bad ALWG was not closer. If my grandchildren put me in a senior center in Florida, they are out of my will   8)

Haha, well Mobile is only a few short 5 or 6 hours away. Much shorter by boat though.

BillB

Nocal must not be in Tampa as there is a Senior Squadron there, or across the Bay where there is Pinellas Senior Squadron. He must be south of Tampa bay where there are no senior Squadrons until Naples and Marco island Senior Squadrons.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NorCal21

Quote from: BillB on June 10, 2013, 12:49:15 AM
Nocal must not be in Tampa as there is a Senior Squadron there, or across the Bay where there is Pinellas Senior Squadron. He must be south of Tampa bay where there are no senior Squadrons until Naples and Marco island Senior Squadrons.

I am in the Tampa Bay area. I just happen to be in a place where I'm an hour-and-a-half to two hours worth of driving each way to make either the Tampa or St Pete squadron based on the meeting times and having to drive in rush hour traffic to get there. Both are about 45 miles either East of me or south of me.

I've actually talked to, and will join, a squadron on the other side of the state where I know people and I can perform most of my duties online for the squadron. I'd have to drive three hours to get to it, but I wouldn't only need to go once a month if that.