Main Menu

Uncooperative Cadet

Started by Abby.L, November 01, 2012, 04:32:14 AM

Abby.L

So, I have a little problem.
I am Chairman and rep to wing for Group One CAC, COWG, and I have a cadet in my squadron who represents the squadron at the group level. He has been given the "Blessing" to wear the green cord, accordingly. However, we're having a few issues getting him there. So far this season, we have had 2 meetings. He has yet to show up to any of these, though he has the ability to do it. He has cited reasons such as "I wasn't told there was a meeting," "I didn't have a ride," and, perhaps the best of all, "I have too many things on my plate." I have given him clear dates and reminders for all CAC meetings, offered him rides if he needs them, and have given him ample time to schedule this into his already busy schedule. I have advised him that if he knows he is unable to attend any meetings, then he should just reliunqish the position to someone more willing and able. To this, he scoffed and assured me that he'll be able to make the next meeting, which is this weekend, and to which I have reminded him about. At this point, it looks like he's just in it for the shoulder cord. I would like to fix this impression that he can just wear the cord without any work, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm thinking that I should just(After going through my CoC, of course) take away the cord until he shows he's able to fulfill his mission. However, I am unsure of what else I could do. Any ideas are much appreciated, in advance.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Garibaldi

You've done your bit. Replace him. Cite the reasons you stated above and inform him that you've gone over and beyond by reminding him of his obligations. You are under no obligation to keep dead wood. He has a 100% failure rate. If he misses this meeting, you should replace him forthwith and have someone on hand who can and is willing to accept the responsibilities.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

Is there a "paper" trail involved, anything tangible that accountability can be held against?

Like After Action Reports, information dissemination both from and to the council? Has any of it been done? What does the unit CC say, as their representative is not performing?  Just because you're in the same unit doesn't mean skip any chain. If you need to run that via Group's CP officer, etc.

If there is, you have grounds to ask that someone else be appointed. If the unit CC doesn't act on it, through their deputies, staff or themselves, there's not really that much you can do actually. Document attendance by keeping excellent minutes of the meetings. Make sure that is pushed up hill as/if required. Enforcement is not your job.

Be prepared for the fallout, and more importantly, be consistent. Expect the same of everyone. If someone from another unit is not showing up, you need to use the same channels to inquire as to why, too.  That way when someone says "be he's not .. " .. ".. but I certainly am .. "

DCCDaubach

My best suggestion to you would be to talk with your Deputy Commander for Cadets since you are in the same squadron as this cadet.  Upon the cadet taking the position as the primary rep for your squadron at a Group level CAC, he/she should know of the dedication that it takes.  If this cadet is unable to meet leadership requirements, follow the CAP Core Values and other issues, I would definately take this up with the DCC.  Explain to your DCC what is going on, what you have said to the cadet, and what the cadet had said to you.  At that time, it will be the decision of the DCC and Squadron Commander.  I would not immediately remove the person from the position, but explain the expectations and then if the cadet is still not able to fufill the job, remove him or her from the position.

Hope this helps.
TFO Adam Daubach, 385631
Deputy Commander for Cadet, NCR-MO-040
Assistant Cadet Activities Officer, NCR-MO-001
MOWG CAC Senior Advisor

tsrup

Also, since these cadets are appointed by the squadron, it really is no place for you to remove them on your own.

You will need either the CDC or the CC to do the paperwork, so it would be best for you to start working with them on this.  Simply state that it may not be in the squadron's best interest to be represented by a cadet that does not show for CAC functions. 

But in all fairness, and because there are more sides to every story, it would be wrong for me to fail to mention to you, that you and the offending cadet should sit down and create a plan.  And then hold him (and yourself to some degree) accountable for the plan  Find out what the problem is and fix the problem. 

It's easy to fire someone when you perceive that they are just slacking.  And sometimes "too much on my plate" is, in fact, a very legitimate reason. 

It may just be easier to talk to this cadet in the light that resigning the position so someone else can do it would be the best for him/her and all the squadron.  Maybe they'll just see that they don't have the time for this added duty and step aside without any hurt feelings or animosity. 

You never know.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Private Investigator

+1

as the others say, "replace" him.

arajca

If the CC won't replace him, make sure you document the attendance at all CAC meetings for all members. WHen the time comes for awarding the CAC ribbon, make sure your group commander (IIRC, he is the approval authority) is aware of which cadets attended adn which did not. I'm fairly certain said cadet will not receive the CAC ribbon if he has not participated. Also, take into account whether the cadets sent in reports as requested or not.

NIN

Quote from: arajca on November 01, 2012, 01:25:36 PM
If the CC won't replace him, make sure you document the attendance at all CAC meetings for all members. WHen the time comes for awarding the CAC ribbon, make sure your group commander (IIRC, he is the approval authority) is aware of which cadets attended adn which did not. I'm fairly certain said cadet will not receive the CAC ribbon if he has not participated. Also, take into account whether the cadets sent in reports as requested or not.
^^ Pretty much this.   When the 2A/PA is cut for the award of the CAC ribbon, it should reference the paragraph pertaining to attendance and qualification for the ribbon in some way.  "Under the provisions of CAPR 52-16, para XY-Z(a), the following individuals have met the requirements of X%  attendance at CAC meetings and are awarded the CAC ribbon.."(PA) or "The individual listed has met the requirements of CAPR 52-16, para XY-Z(b) for attending X% of CAC meetings" (Remarks section of CAPF 2A).   

When this cadet says "Why did they get CAC ribbons?" it is much easier to point to the reg and say "Oh, lookie, it says "Be here for 60% of the meetings" (or whatever).. you weren't!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

It probably also needs to be reinforced that as the Group CAC Chair, you have no authority over the
unit reps - they are appointed by commanders, and to some extent, whether they fulfill their mandate is a subjective
decision of those commanders.

You can certainly advise the Group CC of the issues you are concerned with, but beyond that, any insinuation that
you can make a change, or can somehow personally compel the unit rep to do anything is incorrect.

Document the issue in a way which does not single him out, and move on.  When the question is raised by your unit
CC as to why the unit has no voice in CAC discussions, you can certainly tell him why.

This also points to how broken the CAC is - your unit already has a rep you.  Why would a second one from the unit
be necessary just because you are the chair?  That potentially gives your unit an unfair voice in any votes that might occur.
Congress doesn't elect replacement representatives just because one of the cadre is elected Speaker.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on November 01, 2012, 04:28:36 PM
This also points to how broken the CAC is - your unit already has a rep you.  Why would a second one from the unit
be necessary just because you are the chair?  That potentially gives your unit an unfair voice in any votes that might occur.
Congress doesn't elect replacement representatives just because one of the cadre is elected Speaker.

The Chair for CAC does not count as a rep for his squadron, and is also not able to vote unless to brake a tie.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cool Mace on November 01, 2012, 04:55:16 PMThe Chair for CAC does not count as a rep for his squadron, and is also not able to vote unless to brake a tie.

That's pretty much my point.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on November 01, 2012, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on November 01, 2012, 04:55:16 PMThe Chair for CAC does not count as a rep for his squadron, and is also not able to vote unless to brake a tie.

That's pretty much my point.

I see now. It didn't come across that way at first glance.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Abby.L

Thanks for all the replies.
He was finally able to make it to the meeting, after much reminding and making sure that he had a ride. I ended up taking him home, but it's worth finally getting him to a meeting. I have also made it clear to him the importance of his attendance, and he has assured me that he understands. Well, I guess everyone learns something. :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Private Investigator