transferring to another wing

Started by Smoothice, April 30, 2012, 07:03:48 PM

Smoothice

hello.
So, what happens you decide to transfer to a different squadron, in a different wing (state to state)??  Is there alot of paperwork? I am an "active" member per E-Services (everything still works)

Would I have to contact my "old" squadron? I did not leave on bad terms, I just kind of stopped going for lack of activity.  Can the new squadron do all of that for me?

thanks

MSG Mac

Transferring is one of the easiest procedures.

Once you have been accepted by a new unit, the NEW  unit will go into E-Services to initiate the transfer. The Former unit has the option of rejecting the transfer, but this is very rare and usually occurs only if there is some kind of adverse action going on or if you have unit equipment that hasn't been returned to them
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

av8tr1

It's really easy.  Your new CO will make the transfer request.  Just go find a new unit in the new wing and everything is taken care of in Eservices.  What isn't in Eservices will be mailed to your new unit.  I've done this twice in the last 2 and half years.  both times it was a smooth easy process. 

Smoothice

Ah, thank you for the quick replies as always!

MSG Mac

You might want to hand carry any papers that are at the outgoing unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 30, 2012, 07:38:52 PM
You might want to hand carry any papers that are at the outgoing unit.

Great Advice.  It is the Member's Responsibility to make sure the membership record is transferred.  I used to be the Personnel Officer for my Squadron and I've contacted former units for three members and not one ever transferred a record, all claimed the record was lost or destroyed,  the Destroyed record was about two years after the member stopped participating due to active duty military considerations...well within the required maintenance period.

Eclipse

And for those scoring at home.

As said, the member carries the records, regardless of cadet or senior status.

If the old unit wants to keep a copy, great, but there's no requirement that they do, nor any double-secret rules about having it go from "PDO to PDO" or "cadets can't carry their own", or any of the other made-up rules.

The only wrinkle in the above is that, as a CC, I would not be inclined to give a member his records until he transfers, and that adds some logistical
bumps for someone moving to another state.

"That Others May Zoom"