CAP/Police officer members

Started by Dutchboy, March 12, 2012, 05:44:46 PM

jeders

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 14, 2012, 05:35:14 PM
Yeah...a cop demo would have been awesome in my blue polo shirt and dockers.

Well in your case, while doing the demo, you were acting in your police capacity, not your CAP capacity. So that's a little bit of apples and oranges. After the demo, when you put your CAP hat back on, you were technically in violation of regs, but I think that falls more under an acceptable exception. I assume you didn't regularly show up to meetings in your cop uniform with a weapon strapped to your side.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on March 14, 2012, 05:35:08 PMThis, I think, is the real issue along with the officer being at CAP while "on-duty." If he's there off-duty without his sidearm but in uniform, as long as it's not a regular occurrence, then I don't think anyone will care too much. If, however, he is regularly there acting in a CAP capacity while in his PD uniform and carrying his sidearm, then we have issues. If his schedule places him on duty during CAP meetings, then I would suggest that he take some time off until his schedule changes to where he can attend properly.
I agree.....a lot depends on how he is acting in his "CAP capacity".

If he is atteneding a senior meeting...that is more like a business meeting where they get breifings and announcments or his is at his desk doing paperwork or sitting in some training.......I don't have any problem with that.

If he is working with cadets.....well....then maybe I will care....and I would not let him make it a habbit.

If he is representing CAP to outside customers like at a mission base or at a ememgency managment planning....then absoulutly not.

The problem is that we are not a on size fits all organisation....so one size fits all regulations don't work....that is why we appoint commanders....to make the "right" decisions based on all the facts, regulations, rules, laws and other pertinant data the situation presents.

Like I said.....this is a mole hill/mountain situation that no one here can really make the definitive call...because we don't have all the facts.

We take the regs, the aims and goals of our organisation and the specific situations of our members and we try to make it work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Numerous times as the CC I was unable to wear a uniform and showed up in civilian clothes with my off duty weapon concealed.  I also had several cop/members (federal agents) who would come to the meetings in civilian clothes on occassion, and they also had their off duty weapons concealed.  Most of the time everyone wore uniforms but sometimes its not possible.  Not leaving my gun at home or in the car.  Attending a meeting regularly in uniform, yes thats a stretch and not needed.  Attending a meeting in civilian clothes, for whatever reason with my off-duty weapon concealed, not an issue.  When I wore my CAP uniform I did not have my gun with me.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 14, 2012, 03:43:15 PM
When I was Deputy Commander for Cadets at Sq 45 at March AFB, ... DCC duties. 

You wont believe this, but I actually allowed cadets to try on my entry vest, hold my M4 (unloaded with a breech block) look through the ACOG and even point the laser at stuff!!!

So before you start blasting your member, perhaps you should find out the circumstances under which he is attending.

I loved going to schools for career day. Of course going to Watts the week after the L.A. riots was a hoot.

BTW, Deputy Commander for Cadets is CDC not DCC. Its my pet peeve, everyone should learn that in SLS. The only thing sillier is Squadron CO instead of Squadron CC. 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 15, 2012, 12:50:52 PM
Squadron CO instead of Squadron CC.

I had one former Army guy call our squadron CC the "company commander" for awhile until I finally broke him of his Army ways >:D.

abdsp51

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 15, 2012, 02:02:46 PM
Squadron CO instead of Squadron CC.

I had one former Army guy call our squadron CC the "company commander" for awhile until I finally broke him of his Army ways >:D.

I find it funny how alot of armyisms find their way into a AF organization.

Ned

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 15, 2012, 03:03:43 PM
I find it funny how alot of armyisms find their way into a AF organization.

Probably has something to do with the fact that we were an Army organization before we were an Air Force organization.  We are a little bit older than the Air Force itself.

My favorite has always been doing a "report of survey" to account for a lost item.

Flying Pig

You wont believe this, but I actually allowed cadets to try on my entry vest, hold my M4 (unloaded with a breech block) look through the ACOG and even point the laser at stuff!!!

So before you start blasting your member, perhaps you should find out the circumstances under which he is attending.

I loved going to schools for career day. Of course going to Watts the week after the L.A. riots was a hoot.

BTW, Deputy Commander for Cadets is CDC not DCC. Its my pet peeve, everyone should learn that in SLS. The only thing sillier is Squadron CO instead of Squadron CC.

Amazing how CAP can take Deputy Commander for Cadets and get CDC out of it.

bosshawk

Rob: official office symbols do not have to make any sense, just think about your experience in the military and in the SO.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 15, 2012, 04:53:45 PM

Well, deputy commander is CD (that's a Ma Blue thing I think), so it's not a huge stretch to say that CDC is for the Deputy Commander for Cadets and CDS is Deputy Commander for Seniors.

spacecommand

The old CAPR10-1 before the revision had this note:
"These address symbols are shown by functional areas and should not be construed as duty titles."

Note that AEO or even Aerospace Education Officer does not show up on CAPR10-1 either, the office symbol of AE is used for Aerospace Education.  Though we often use AEO as the abbreviation for Aerospace Education Officer.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 15, 2012, 05:58:40 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on March 15, 2012, 04:53:45 PM

Well, deputy commander is CD (that's a Ma Blue thing I think), so it's not a huge stretch to say that CDC is for the Deputy Commander for Cadets and CDS is Deputy Commander for Seniors.

CC= Command section-Commander
CD= Command section-Deputy
CDC or CD/C= Command section-Deputy for Cadets
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

abdsp51

The office symbol for a deputy commander is CV with ma blue or DO since usually most units have an ops officer who is the defacto 2IC if there is not a civilian thrown in the mix.

davidsinn

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 16, 2012, 01:58:34 AM
The office symbol for a deputy commander is CV with ma blue or DO since usually most units have an ops officer who is the defacto 2IC if there is not a civilian thrown in the mix.

CV is vice commander.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 16, 2012, 01:58:34 AM

CV = Commander Vice.

There are no Vice Commanders or Directors below wing in CAP.

The symbols indicated above are the officially published symbols used by CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Remember the sage advice of Radar O'Reilly. Don't try to understand it. It just slows the work down.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Brad

Glad someone thought to post this topic up, because being someone who works 12 hours as a police dispatcher then goes directly to an already-late-for CAP meeting because of my work schedule, I simply don't have time to change into uniform (except on the dress nights, then I do make the extra effort to put my blues kit together and hang it up in my back seat.) and we obviously can't wear it to work. So I'm left with showing up in civvies half of the time.

The other more concerning issue is I have volunteered to teach a fire safety course for the cadets next week, with the approval of both my squadron command staff and my fire chief. Class will include a demonstration of fire equipment such as PPE and SCBA. So here's the rub: am I doing it as a firefighter giving a safety presentation? Or as my squadron's Health Services Officer? Not to mention, slinging on bunker gear in uniform would only add to the discomfort, I simply am considering wearing my department polo and duty pants. But again I'd be giving a class to cadets and seniors.

I know the world won't end if I do it wrong persay, but it's just one of those things that make ya think.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SPD6696

I would think that coming in to give a fire safety class, as an SME and with the approval of your FD, and using FD equipment, it would be appropriate to wear the uniform of that profession.  It lends more credibility, as it is a visual reminder to all that you are a professional in that field.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

bflynn

Quote from: Brad on March 21, 2012, 05:00:22 AM
Glad someone thought to post this topic up, because being someone who works 12 hours as a police dispatcher then goes directly to an already-late-for CAP meeting because of my work schedule, I simply don't have time to change into uniform (except on the dress nights, then I do make the extra effort to put my blues kit together and hang it up in my back seat.) and we obviously can't wear it to work. So I'm left with showing up in civvies half of the time.

I had that problem last week.  I got out of work late and had to make the decision to go to the meeting (late) in civies or not go at all.  After this and other threads on uniforms, I chose not to face the possibility of anyone giving me grief (although I think it was unlikely) and didn't go.  About 30 minutes later I realized it was the SDD, which I actually wanted to attend.

Just thinking over it - some people's insistence on cadet style uniform discipline for SMs just had a minor impact on safety.