Transfer to Patron Questions

Started by Angus, November 02, 2010, 02:42:08 PM

Stonewall

I just switched to patron status yesterday because I am inactive and don't plan on becoming active again, if at all, for a few years.  I saw the reg that says it's $35 but failed to see the requirement of being in the NHQ patron squadron.   Personally, I think it's crap for charging me $62 just to hold my membership.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on November 03, 2010, 01:43:02 AM
I just switched to patron status yesterday because I am inactive and don't plan on becoming active again, if at all, for a few years.  I saw the reg that says it's $35 but failed to see the requirement of being in the NHQ patron squadron.   Personally, I think it's crap for charging me $62 just to hold my membership.

You have to go to NHQ patron?  Is this new?  We have plenty of patron members attached to units in my wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2010, 05:49:37 AM

You have to go to NHQ patron?  Is this new?  We have plenty of patron members attached to units in my wing.
I think he is saying that in order to pay only $35, he would need to be in the NHQ patron squadron.

Stonewall

Quote from: bte on November 03, 2010, 01:55:21 PM
I think he is saying that in order to pay only $35, he would need to be in the NHQ patron squadron.

This.  Not sure how to get in on that deal though; to transfer to NHQ.  I'll have to talk to my Sq CC and see how much it's gonna cost me.  I'm not a cheap SOB, but I don't appreciate having to drop $62 a year to simply maintain my membership.  They can keep the Volunteer magazine if they want, I never read it anyway.  I usually drop it off at a doctor's office or Jiffy Lube, which ever comes first.
Serving since 1987.

Angus

Quote from: bte on November 03, 2010, 01:55:21 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2010, 05:49:37 AM

So the patron membership fee to stay in the same wing is the same as if i were to stay on active but just be "shadow" member?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Grumpy

Quote from: Ned on November 02, 2010, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: Flint on November 02, 2010, 02:42:08 PM
( . . .) Grad Knight ( . . .)

Ahhh.  Memories.

Even after all these years I still fondly remember my Grad Night at Disneyland.

Just me, my date, and 30,000 other teenagers locked into The Happiest Place on Earth (tm) from 2200 until 0600 the next morning.

Sigh.

Sorry, what was the topic?

;D :clap:

Grumpy

Why not just put a letter requesting a Leave of Absence in your 201 file (Personnel) and a copy in the squadron's files.
That way you're still able to attend activities when ever possible and you're covered for SUI's and the like?

Eclipse

Quote from: Grumpy on November 04, 2010, 05:23:39 PM
Why not just put a letter requesting a Leave of Absence in your 201 file (Personnel) and a copy in the squadron's files.
That way you're still able to attend activities when ever possible and you're covered for SUI's and the like?

There is no allowance in the system for LOA's, so you would pop up on every report when something required wasn't completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Numbers are of supreme importance to small squadrons, so I think you would be best staying active and only participating when you can.  You will still need to do the necessary things, but so much of it is online that you can do it at home on your own time.. Such as the new Safety requirement for all members prior to March of this year, I believe.  If too many members drop out, the squadron may go back to flight status.  JMHO.

Angus

Quote from: AirAux on November 04, 2010, 06:21:12 PM
Numbers are of supreme importance to small squadrons, so I think you would be best staying active and only participating when you can.  You will still need to do the necessary things, but so much of it is online that you can do it at home on your own time.. Such as the new Safety requirement for all members prior to March of this year, I believe.  If too many members drop out, the squadron may go back to flight status.  JMHO.

You still have to show up at least once a quarter for face to face safety briefings.  The online only counts for the other two months. 

As far as show up when I can with my other responsobilities that's just about non-existant.  Plus I'm the safety and ES officer.  And when the commaner isn't there I'm the one who takes point with the cadets. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JeffDG

Quote from: Flint on November 04, 2010, 07:08:43 PM
Quote from: AirAux on November 04, 2010, 06:21:12 PM

You still have to show up at least once a quarter for face to face safety briefings.  The online only counts for the other two months. 
Not anymore:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2010_11_03_safety_education_and_ORS_0E855E8029EC2.pdf

AirAux

Well it sounds like you have already made up your mind about it so just do it.  We have given you plenty of excuses and reasons and ways to not go Patron, but you have successfully thwarted our attempts.. Carry on, have fun, and maybe we'll see you when and if you get back.  Life is about priorities and it is not our place to decide your priorities. 

Angus

Well my decision was made by my commander he doesn't believe I should go patron and refuses to sign a 2a to patron.  At least until it becomes absolutely necessary so basically not till I am the Grand Knight of my Council.  Until then he thinks I can be of some use to him. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030