Why aren't Region commanders Brigadiers?

Started by RVT, July 12, 2010, 04:40:43 AM

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on July 17, 2010, 07:49:00 AM
Boss, give him time. He's only made 20 posts, and hasn't quite seen the light yet.

[gratuitous edit - 3900th post]

Smurf.   :-X
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

Rather than multiply our number of generals, why don't we adopt RAF rank of "Air Commodore" for Region CCs?

We'd need to invent a rank insignia, but there would be no heartburn about generals' flags (wouldn't be generals!), general officer scrambled eggs on hats (ditto), and would clearly be defined as temporary grade while holding office as region commander (revert to O-6 afterward)...but would out rank colonel (O-6).

bosshawk

OH, right: just what we need, more confusion about grade(or is it rank?).  IMHO, we have some Wing and Region CCs who have no clue as to how to act like a Colonel: just imagine what it might be like if they wore a star.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ZigZag911

Ah, but that's the point of Air Comm -- they won't get a star!

TCMajor

Wow this keeps going back to uniforms.  How about we take all the guys that thought the triangle thingy was a good idea and make them wear it as rank.  j/k, maybe.  Make them Rear Commodores (lower half).   ;D  Really, lets try and get back on topic.  I think the original question had merit for valid discussion, but the real tread may have run its course.
Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

arajca

Quick Summary:
Q: Why aren't Region Commanders Brigadiers?

A: AF said no. Repeatedly.

Q: Why don't we ask again?

A: It was brought up last year, but the NB felt the relationship between the AF and CAP was not at an appropriate level to ask.

Now, back the uniforms... >:D

TCMajor

Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

Gunner C

Quote from: arajca on July 17, 2010, 07:12:50 PM
A: It was brought up last year, but the NB felt the relationship between the AF and CAP was not at an appropriate level to ask.

Now that's an understatement.

arajca

Quote from: Gunner C on July 17, 2010, 10:06:10 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 17, 2010, 07:12:50 PM

Now that's an understatement.
I said it was a Quick Summary. ;D

RVT

Quote from: arajca on July 17, 2010, 11:29:15 PMI said it was a Quick Summary. ;D

But enough.  It answered the question I started this thread with, and was really all I was looking for.

bosshawk

Aren't you glad you asked?  Now back to the regularly scheduled uniform posts.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NavLT

I think that Region Commanders should have command authority when incidents occur that span more than one wing (hurricane, oil spill, etc).  It makes operational sense.  Why can they not do that - why can they not have operational missions utilizing the various wings' resources under their control?  Instead of having multiple wings running their own ops & trying to coordinate them.  Seems like common sense to me. 

And they still don't have to have large staffs - a Region Commander can pick someone from whatever wing to be IC, or X or Y.  Pull the people you need for your incident staff, but do it under a Region Commander's jurisdiction, not a wings.

I guess the question I have is why don't they put some more meat into the region?  The argument about IC 1 and IC 2 being more controlled would seem to fit that the IC2 or IC 1 would be a region appointment and a region resource.  When the statement is made about wing and region commanders not being ICs...I can only say why not?  I don't see them putting a non-aviator in command of an Air Craft Carrier.....and for the non-pilots in CAP you don't have to be a pilot to be an IC just Air Crew qualified.

v/rLtJ

davidsinn

Quote from: NavLT on July 20, 2010, 01:01:59 PM
I think that Region Commanders should have command authority when incidents occur that span more than one wing (hurricane, oil spill, etc).  It makes operational sense.  Why can they not do that - why can they not have operational missions utilizing the various wings' resources under their control?  Instead of having multiple wings running their own ops & trying to coordinate them.  Seems like common sense to me. 

And they still don't have to have large staffs - a Region Commander can pick someone from whatever wing to be IC, or X or Y.  Pull the people you need for your incident staff, but do it under a Region Commander's jurisdiction, not a wings.

I guess the question I have is why don't they put some more meat into the region?  The argument about IC 1 and IC 2 being more controlled would seem to fit that the IC2 or IC 1 would be a region appointment and a region resource.  When the statement is made about wing and region commanders not being ICs...I can only say why not?  I don't see them putting a non-aviator in command of an Air Craft Carrier.....and for the non-pilots in CAP you don't have to be a pilot to be an IC just Air Crew qualified.

v/rLtJ

It takes years and a lot of work to become an IC. I've been in four years and I just started working on GBD and MS this last weekend. I still need to pick up ICS400 somewhere along the line.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bosshawk

Re: NAVlt's post about why aren't Wing and Region CCs ICs: I can vouch for the PAC Region and CAWG CC not being current Mission Pilots and certainly not ICs.  In fact, CAWG doesn't have a MPS in the top four positions in the Wing(CC,CV, CofS, DO).  Think about that for awhile.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777